PDA

View Full Version : Upper Right Pain - I need help

Onward
25-02-12, 22:30
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I am out here but I really do need my friends to help me.

This morning I got up after a semi-restless night and went to the computer in my home office. I am someone who spends a ton of time at the computer in one position for hours and hours (with some breaks). All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in the right shoulder blade that seemed to come through to the right front. It was piercing and lasted for about 20 minutes. As a self-admitted hypochondriac, I have been tested for everything and about a month and a half ago went to the ER at a heart specializing hospital and had a complete cardiac workup as well as lungs for shortness of breath (no findings). Instead of jumping to conclusions I of course went online and panicked more. I finally called my doctor who I have seen for twenty years. He called me back and we spoke. I explained the situation and that it was not accompanied with any dizziness, fast heartbeat, sweating (in fact I was a bit chilly), vomiting or the like. He listened intently and then said that this could also be muscular. I thought it was logical after the hours I spend with my arms streched across a desk and rigid in their position as well as a mattress that my wife and I need to replace.

Here is the issue that I believe some of you can relate to. I ate today and felt hungry but now I am just sitting and waiting for pain which I believe I can create but am not smart enough to dismiss as my own creation. I really do not want to run and get this checked out. In fact I just had bloodwork done two days ago and it came back OK. MY tryglcyerides were a bit high but cholesterol was 150 *with meds - and other numbers seemed good. I am overweight (about 290) but am trying to lose.

I went to a ton of symptoms from Gallbladder, Pancreas and Heart, but they all seemed to include items that I did not have. Can panic do this (upper right pain)? I always dimiss panic attacks becuase I woke up this morning and sat down, what's to panic about? Any words of wisdom will help me. I could use the advice.

Thanks friends.

crystal17
25-02-12, 23:02
I would try and get an abdominal scan, it sounds like a gallbladder-type pain. You dont always have all of the symptoms listed.

Also remember anxiety can strike when you feel calm if there are issues underlying.

Hope you get it sorted :hugs:

Onward
25-02-12, 23:46
I understand what you are saying it is just that I have been through so many scans, tests, bloodwork and the like, I kind of wanted a break from it. Am I to understand that gallbladdr issues are not life threatening? I am in the midst of a true breakdown and really need some advice.

No offense to you, but suggesting that tests are needed wasn't exaclty what I was looking for on a post that deals with health anxiety. Words like those stay with me and are not just fluffed off easily. Again, I realize you were trying to help but I am truly panic stricken at this point.

Breezay
25-02-12, 23:55
I would try not to worry about the pain. Your GP has ruled out any serious problems and it probably is just muscle pain. Anxiety gives me some god-awful symptoms and I worry about them non-stop. Left chest pain, right chest pain, central chest pain! Pains in both arms, in my back and dizziness. Sometimes panic attacks make me feel as though I am going to pass out.

Anxiety can cause so many symptoms.

Does the pain come and go? What seems to make it worse? Does it get worse if you worry?

The tests your GP did would have most likely ruled out gallbladder problems to be honest. I'm sure he would have considered it as an option, as the A&E staff did when I went in with chest pains. Try not to worry.

crystal17
25-02-12, 23:59
I understand what you are saying it is just that I have been through so many scans, tests, bloodwork and the like, I kind of wanted a break from it. Am I to understand that gallbladdr issues are not life threatening? I am in the midst of a true breakdown and really need some advice.

No offense to you, but suggesting that tests are needed wasn't exaclty what I was looking for on a post that deals with health anxiety. Words like those stay with me and are not just fluffed off easily. Again, I realize you were trying to help but I am truly panic stricken at this point.

Sorry about that, but if you post on a forum where the people arent medically qualified then you will get all sorts of answers, and I was only trying to help because I know someone who was recently diagnoses with gallstones through a scan. No it isnt life threatening.

Onward
26-02-12, 17:13
I appreciate your feedback and I truly understand where you were coming from Crystal. It is just that I have suffered with this from the summer of 1992. I am tired of the lost weekends, tired of the vacations spent in my home office nervous about every twinge and tired of fear.

I have tried to alert more people about this malady and even contacted shows in the USA to have them do segments on it; All to no avail.

BY the way, my wife has heard me belch a lot (nice segway right?) and really thinks this could be an episdode of IBS> I have been eating and sleeping fine, thank God, so I am going to try and give myself a break.

Anybody else, please feel free ALL comments are welcome.

Breezay
26-02-12, 17:24
Oooh, now you mention it - I get really terrible IBS attacks (fairly new, compared to my old 'normal' attacks) where my entire body aches. I get pain in my shoulders from it! Did belching help it?