PDA

View Full Version : doing well!!!!

imported_n/a
06-05-04, 19:49
hi guys ,just a small update,,well i have been going a little further from my safty zone and i am starting to feel more comfortable when i am out and also i stay out for that little longer,,self exposure therapy,,and also something i am really happy about is i have my first telephone recovery group beggining of july with no-panic really looking forward to that cause apparently its with a proper cognitive behavoural therapist,,yeah,,,all in all things have changed and i definatly feel more positive since finding this site with all you lovely people ,dont know what i would have done if i hadnt found this place so its a BIG thank you to nicola and everyone involed thanks guysxxxdarrenxx

sarah
06-05-04, 20:43
Hiya Darren

Its great that you are doing so well mate. Bet you didnt think you would be posting in sucess stories so soon eh?
Well done for going out and staying out more...DIY CBT eh? its not easy without support but you know you have ours!!!! Keep going and you wont think twice about having to visit your mum in hospital!!!
Keep us posted when you start your phone thing wont you?

take care

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Meg
06-05-04, 21:41
Great news Darren.

It is doable on your own - double courage. Keep it up.
Don't aim for enormous strides forward - keep it manageable and do it often .

Congratulations.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

seh1980
11-06-04, 16:42
hey darren,

Glad to hear you sounding so positive!! Keep up the good work and good luck with the telephone recovery group!!

Sarah (seh1980)

stimpy
12-06-04, 16:06
excellent -

Keep up the good work !

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

lilac kitten
15-06-04, 14:59
Darren,

Good for you. I'm glad you're feeling a little more positive. Let me know how the telephone therapy goes. I have a CBT appointment at the surgery on Thursday, which I'm really looking forward to. I've been having them for over three years now, and they do work. I only went backwards this year because my father died, I was treated for precancerous cells (colposcopy), I've had flu and all sorts, sinus problems, and to top that a little bit of post natal depression. However, I'm a fighter and will not give in to the anxiety and panic. My therapist reassures me about everything and makes all my concerns seem irrelevant. I feel so much more confident in the last couple of weeks and have even managed to get back shopping, drive the A30 back from Basingstoke and take my son swimming. I even agreed to help out at a pool party full of lively children(what possessed me?). I still get my off days, but I get more better than bad.

Keep us posted you are doing really really well and sounding so positive. And if you have an off day don't be afraid to come and post on here for support.

Good luck
Ruth
x

imported_n/a
15-06-04, 18:48
wow thank you ruth,,
such a positive post for you also i am happy to hear that you are not going to give in to this ,,as i am not it is hard sometimes but hey everyday cant be a good day can it??
wish you good luck with your c,b,t app i have been unfortunate and havent been offered a c,b,t app yet but i will keep at my dr he will get that fed up of me he will pay for it himself lol lol,,
so sorry to hear about your father,,,
good luck for your pool party hope it goes well and you have fun,

thanks again for such a positive post,,

""HAPPINESS IS ALWAYS THERE UNDERNEATH THE ANGER AND DESPAIR""

xxxxdarrenxxxx

lilac kitten
17-06-04, 12:17
Darren,

The Pool party went well, and luckily none of the children threw up in the pool and although they were supposed to get an hour, they only actually had half that time - no good for the parents paying for the party, but good for me!!

I've been to the psychotherapist today, and always feel a lot more positive when I leave. I've had a bit of a bad morning with the sinus' as well, but as my head doctor says, I have to try and live with it and find ways to cope as there may be nothing the surgeon can do. He was well impressed with how I've coped with my panic though and says he feels I have the right attitude to recovery - although I will always have to live with anxiety and panic I will be more able to cope, and he definitely thinks I have been depressed. Although he did say that obviously antidepressants were not for me and that positive thinking and talking and writing everything down to analyse is my way of getting through things.

I'm also very open with people regarding how I am and find some joke about it, some ask lots of questions.

You too sound like you are doing really well. Are you taking medication or is this all through positive thinking? I hope the telephone therapy works for you - I'm sure it will help immensely.

Take to writing down your thoughts daily and giving each situation a panic or anxiety rating from 1 - 10, then group the situations together and see how you improve over the weeks. as you see the 10 turn to 9 turn to 5 you will feel you've achieved something. Remember I'm three years into treatment, although I had the set back earlier this year, but already I'm coming down to 5's and even 3s.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Ruth

stimpy
17-06-04, 12:23
Oh Ruth I'm sorry to hear about your dad.
Death is such a dreadful experience to cope with, no matter how old you are.

Awhile a go I was chatting to my starworker (as many of you may remember from one of my many posts) about the fact that she wanted me to become a worker and that eventually the whole country will have access to the service.

Good news, Darren!

If you make a nusiance of yourself long enough the doctor is bound to give in sooner or later.

Or ...
You could contact :

Nicki,
STR Project Manager,
West House,
Westwood Hospital,
Beverley,
HU17 8BU,
East Yorkshire.

Tel: 01482 886511

Emails: mark your mail: For the attention of Nicki & send to: likeminds.team@herch-tr.nhs.uk & it will be forwarded to Nicki.

You can then ask for a Starworker who will be able to help you recover and it saves waiting for the doctor to get of his butt.

Good luck!

Liz xxx

imported_n/a
17-06-04, 19:42
hi ruth,,

good to hear you enjoyed the pool party,,,

i am not taking meds and dont want to although some days i feel desparate enough to want something like that,,but i will stay away from them really want to do this under my own steam as it were,,,

the tele rec group is going really good as soon as i come off the fone i am already looking forward to the next one lol,,

i used to keep a diary and did write down what kinda day i had,,and the anxiety levels and everything and to be honest it did help,,but either i lost intrest or couldnt be bothered but i am gonna start it up again ok,,

thanks for the great advice ruth,,,

xxxxdarrenxxxx

imported_n/a
17-06-04, 19:50
hey liz,,

i do look forward to your posts,,

please forgive me but i have missed your post on star workers,,
what are they liz??
what do they do??
will they visit your home ??

well i am going to send an e-mail should i just explain my problems breifly and waitt for them to get in touch would value your opinions liz,,,

i am still pestering my doc thou and actually wrote a letter of complaint to the practice manager and now instead of me haveing to make appointments they contact me lol cool eh!!!

thank you lots liz,,,

xxxxdarrenxxxx

stimpy
17-06-04, 22:51
Support, Time And Recovery Workers (STR or STAR for short)
Are the latest invention in order to help people with agrophobia and panic disorder related problems recover.

They work as part of a team focusing on your individual needs. They will come to your home, visit you in hospital, or wherever you need them and generally support you while you make your way in the big wide world. Their ultimate aim is to help you to live an ordinary life.

You tell them exactly what you want to aim for and they make a recovery plan. As this is your plan you can add to it or change things as you want.
For Example, I want to be able to go to the shops. Later you might change that plan and decide that you want to be able to get on a bus. - They will then help and support you so that you can achieve your goal.

Starworkers do not provide medical or clinical treatment under the Mental Health Act, that will still be the job of a doctor or CPN.

They teach you relaxation techniques, coping skills help you to cope with the outside world and give you support. But best of all because they are all anxiety suffers, they understand exactly what you are going through as they have been through it too.
(My Starworker used to live in her bedroom and wouldn't come out.)

I personally would E-mail and tell them that you have heard of the STRworker Team, as a friend uses it, and that you would very much like them to help you.
Tell them a little bit about your problems (so they can choose the best person to help you.)
I would also recommend that you explain that your doctor has been less than helpful in helping you to get the help you need.

Good Luck
Let us know how you get on.
Here's my original post about being chosen to make the STRworker questionare.
Ooh I have been chosen ! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=920)

Liz xxx

imported_n/a
20-06-04, 08:19
thank you liz,,

i have sent e-mail this morning and really hope i hear from them,,

i will most certainatly let you know,,

thnks again

xxxxdarrenxxxx

stimpy
20-06-04, 20:38
You're very welcome.
Lets hope they can help you.

Good luck.

Liz xxx