PDA

View Full Version : too anxious to sleep

iliketrees
22-06-06, 21:04
Hello everyone, my name is Becky I've only joined today and I've noticed that there is already a thread about sleep. I hope it's ok that I'm starting a new one.

I occasionally get a bad night's sleep when I'm nervous or anxious about the following day, I think because when it's dark and there are no distractions, and consequnniuently, it often gets blown out of proportion. I've always found that after a day or two I am simply so tired that I begin sleeping again.

However, about two weeks ago I got a bad night's sleep, then another....then another. There was no real reason for why it started, except that it had been uncomfortably humid for the first few nights. I just started finding that when I did get to sleep it wasn't very deep and I've been waking up every day feeling miserable and unrefreshed. It's now got to the stage where I'm not actually letting myself sleep. I'll be lying in bed, my brain will begin to zone out and I'll suddenly think "I'M GOING TO SLEEP!" and I feel my heart beating faster and adrenaline flooding me and my legs tense up. It makes me feel very angry and frustrated with myself because i feel like I'm stopping myself from sleeping. I've been getting very upset and blaming myself for it and it takes me hours to calm down and finally fall asleep.

it's been going on for about two weeks now and everything I'm doing seems to make it worse. I'm trapped in a bit of a vicious cycle as the more anxious I get, the less likely I am to sleep, which makes me even more anxious. When IK'm forcing myself to get up in the morning I just wish I could go back to the previous night for a second chance and I desperatley want to sleep, but by the time the evening arrives I've built it all up so much that if someone else talks about feeling tired or when I look atg mhy bed I get these feelings of dread.

If anyone has experienced this, or has any advice as to how I can get myself to feel less scared...please let me know.

anxious
22-06-06, 21:16
Hi there Becky and welcome, i'm sure you'll love it here.
I get periods when i can't sleep and i think the worst thing you can do is dwell on it. Sometimes i just accept i can't sleep, get up, have a milky drink and read/watch tv/go on pc etc to distract myself. Soon as i feel sleepy i try again.
Some nights it has been 4am before i sleep. But then before i know it i'm sleeping like a tot.
Try a warm bath with lavendar oil, milky drinks, music (put radio alarm on), try tensing every part of your body bit by bit then relaxing.
hth,
anx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

PUGLETMUM
22-06-06, 22:16
[}:)]this feeling is horrible, it happened to me in december, as my husband was on nights. i went to bed , it was near to christmas, and at about midnight i just started panicking in bed, and although i've had periods like this before, the fact that it was winter and i'd been feeling anxious for a few months just meant that it got progressively worse. the only advice i can give is try to stop the worried thoughts. like when you start saying to yourself ' oh no is this going to be another terrible night?' you say something positive like 'this will not go on and on indefinately' it's because your getting yourself worked up' you just say something positive and rational to everything thought you get that is negative and irrational. rhe aim being to try to get back the habit of being positive, and this applys to any catastrophic worrying thoughts - the thoughts that are actually at the root of anxiety disorders, anyway hope this helps a bit, but it does'nt work straight away, you have to give your brain time to re-learn to be positive, but it does work in the end all the best emmas

Daisybun
22-06-06, 23:07
I wsa like this 4 years ago, it is not nice, i used to dread bed time. I found having a warm milky drink helped. Also use lavendar oil on my pillow to help relax. I also use an aromatherapy gel to aid sleep on my pulse points.

Take care
Daisybun

'This too will pass'

iliketrees
23-06-06, 11:16
Thankyou all for your advice. Last night was much better and I woke up feeling refreshed for the first time in two weeks...I guess it's too soon for me to assume it's all over yet (I'm only on the second day of one-a-night nytols), but nevertheless, I feel more positive about it now.

Becky
xx

kate H
23-06-06, 12:27
Hi Becky,

Welcome to the site, I agree with Anx the best thing to do is to try and not dwell on it. I always find exercise wears me out, go for a good brisk stroll and the fresh air will soon tire u out come the evening., I dont sleep all that well and can pretty much guarantee i will wake up between the hours of 3 and 5 every nite but i have just learnt to except it, as Anx said the best thing is distraction, if u can't sleep just get up untill u do feel tired or else u will just lie there feeling worse.

Glad it has improved over the last few nites and rememer we are all here for you should u need us xx

.......Is your past barging in on your future? Make a better 2morrow 2day.......

Steve62
29-06-06, 22:25
Hi Becky

I too suffer from the sleep problems you outline and your description of how you stop yourself sleeping and the anger/frustration that comes with it is exactly how I felt/feel. I have never heard of anyone feeling this way but me and this in a small way has helped me, so thanks.

I have had this off and on - so how do I deal with it? By trying to live with it! - when you think you are having a bad night, just accept it. Getting angry is the worst thing you can do (I used to punch the headboard and all I got was a sore hand - lol!). Believe me when I say that I know how hard this is and I know that sometimes it is impossible and i also know that it is not the complete answer - but it does help.

Just say "ok it's a bad night, tomorrow will be better", put on some music and think nice thoughts

Good luck.
Steve

Jenny
30-06-06, 09:13
Hello Becky

What about trying Claire Weekes CD It's called Good Night and Good Morning. You can buy it from her web site. I have just ordered one for a friend who has difficult mornings, when her anxiety is at it's worst.

Welcome to the site. You will find lots of us are willing to help when we can.

Best Wishes
Jenny xxx