PDA

View Full Version : Catheter Insertion

stuart39
26-02-12, 10:26
Had an issue today with inserting my urinary catheter.

should i be able to insert it the same amount every time or can it vary day to day? at the hospital i had it in most of the way with about 2 to 3inches left.

the last day or so ive head trouble at about halfway but today it really wasnt playing ball. it felt like it was bending up inside my penis because it was sticking further up the urethra. i tried pushing. i tried coughing whilst applying pressure on the cath. i tried relaxing too, yet none of this would let me go in further. push as my might it would slowly withdraw itself a little bit. i tried withdrawing it a little then pushing it back in. i did void even though the cath was only in about halfway but it doesnt feel like i voided as much as i have during previous caths. is it normal for cath insertions to be varied in terms of how much cath you can put inside?

very frustrating stood there for 10 minutes trying to get the damn thing into place when all you want to do is take a good leak.

K1rsty
26-02-12, 11:04
Hi Stuart,

Is there not a nurse who you can call this? They should be giving patients support when sending people home to do this. You really need medical advice with this one - someone who knows your full medical history - sorry I can not help otherwise. If you are really worried call your out of hours serice or NHS Direct. Take care and best wishes Kirsty x

stuart39
27-02-12, 09:13
took a hot bath for half an hour then had another go and it went if fine.
getting used to it more now.......

K1rsty
27-02-12, 21:23
Pleased to hear it went in better - bath must have relaxed you. Good luck Stuart and take care :)

stuart39
16-03-12, 15:11
since last posting its proving very hit and miss. a few nights i found myself needing a pee but couldnt and couldnt get the cath in so was having hot baths at 2am, 4am etc. silly.
that was working for a while then it wouldnt work anymore. cath wouldnt go in even with hot baths but then i began to be able to pee without the cath again. rather confusing as to whats up with my system.

be interested to hear from any guys with similar problems or whether you are struggling to get to the bottom of whats wrong.

sometimes i can only pee as if it was through a pin hole so thats pretty uncomfortable and leaves discomfort behind after urinating as ive not completely voided. like the bladder is saying right ive had enought trying to let the urine out as its not flowing freely so now ill close off the valve and you can sit and suffer needing a pee again in 15 minutes!

obviously i cant keep getting up during the night if i cant pee and cant insert a cath to start running hot baths in the early hours. its just crazy and of course its no good for a decent nights sleep.

a week ago Monday the cath wouldnt go in so i pushed it a bit firmer still no joy and on removing it there was a bit of blood. i thought maybe ive forced it too much at the prostate. anyway that afternoon i had to go to bed as i developed severe shakes and cold sweats. i woke up soaking wet with sweat. had the urine tested twice and that came back clear. i wonder if ive given myself a blood infection?

i am due to see my nurse next Tuesday for a chat.