PDA

View Full Version : This is so silly

MissSunshine
27-02-12, 11:11
Silly.. but its bugging me!

After alot of wishing I finally got my first kitten. He is perfect.
However I have a thing about germs and smells. This morning he done a poop and trod in it. and even tho i took some of it off with a tissue, I have a thing that my whole house is now rinsed with germs im washing my hands every 5 minutes because when cleaning him i touched his poop. Now I have many months ahead of this, and dont think i can cope :(

I'm scared when he has done his poop in his tray every time he gets it on his paws and my house will have bacteria, and we will all come ill.

I know its stupid but its part of my anxiety is germs :(

any advise would be great, also the smell from the tray even puts me off eating because im thinking its on my hands
x

Carys
27-02-12, 11:38
Has your kitten been wormed appropriately ? That is the main cause for concern about all pets, that they could carry parasites, so if that is dealt with then that is most important.

Secondly, is the litter tray on a wipeable floor.....a utility room or bathroom (not the kitchen)...that certainly helps as you can wipe over the surface around the litter tray with anti-bacterial a couple of times a day.

I've had cats in the past (not got one a the moment) but have always had dogs and can honestly tell you that I have NEVER become ill from them in all the years I've had them. (I too have a germ/bacteria fear, although I don't think it is as severe as yours.)

Apart from that just practice good hygiene; don't let the cat tromp around kitchen surfaces and don't put your hands in your mouth (or let children), wash your hands now and again and you will be fine. You don't need to wash your hands excessively, if you do that you are more likely to break the surface of your skin and make it more prone to bacteria getting in ! If you are dealing with their faeces then buy some of those big boxes of disposable gloves to use. Cats are very good at cleaning themselves and will sort most problems out with dirty fur themselves.

This could be the perfect way to get over your fears and practice rationalising the situation. :winks:

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Sorry, just thought of something else. When he does a poo in the litter tray you could remove it quickly and easily in the same way as dog owners do dog poos. Buy some baby nappy sacks, put your hand in side one and pick the poo up, then turn the bag inside out with the poo inside and tie it closed. Disposing of it quickly this way will stop smell building up in the house.

Beyonderz
27-02-12, 18:56
I had many cats before and I never got ill. If your cat doesn't have parasites (which he can be easily protected with some sprays or vaccines) then there is no problem. Also cats saliva is special and it kills germs and many dangerous things.

Only when you are pregnant, dealing with cat poop can be a bit risky, that's all. Not in normal situations.

Take your cat to the vet, and ask the questions in your mind. They will guide you. Cat is the most cleanest and tidiest animal on earth.

Keith
27-02-12, 19:48
I had a cat for years and never got ill from her. She use to sleep on my bed and sit right beside me when I was reading my book and she would be outside all day. I wouldn't be worrying, go and play with your new family member! :)

MissSunshine
28-02-12, 13:50
Thank you everyone for your help! He is adorable. I love him to bits.
He has been wormed yes! I keep a tray in the bathroom and kitchen..why can I not keep it in the kitchen?

I dont like how he does a poop then he walks in it and its on his fur, it freaks me out.

Plus he done a wee in the corner of the living room yesterday it seems as tho he only goes to his tray when i carry him to it, he never goes by himself, and its stressing me out a little as im always worrying if he needs to go getting up every 10 mins checking! I cannot relax and its making my IBS worse with the worrying!

I love playing with him and as i said i love him, i just wish i could relax, i feel as tho my whole house smells even tho i clean up after him straight away!

Beyonderz
28-02-12, 14:42
Give him some time. Even though cats are smart creatures, they need time to get use to the new surrounding - which will be his territory soon, not yours xD

Try to enjoy living with him. Cats are such animals those people enjoy a lot. They are so fun. In worst case you can clean his paws with a tissue, if you think that he is stepping on his poo. Cleaning his litter box often is a good solution also.

Cats are very clean, so they really don't want to do their toilet in a dirty litter box. Clean it regularly (take poo after he does it, and change litter once a week), then he won't pee or poo anywhere else.

If he does pee in other places, clean that place immediately, if possible with some strong detergents or those substance vets sell also. Male cat urine has a strong smell, in times it can be unbearable. If he gets use to peeing in same place, it will be so hard for you to make him not to, because they can still smell it, even though you clean it very well. After they get use to use their litter boxes, they hardly pee somewhere else. Especially when he is in heat, he will be spraying the whole place with a special fluid, which smells even worse. If you have a chance, let him out. It may be easier.

Another toilet training is making him use the human toilet, which he learns around in 3 weeks. But you can not do it when he is so small. He must be able to jump on toilet. There are cat toilet training kits everywhere. Or you can find tons of videos for it on YouTube.

If you have more questions, ask here. We will gladly help.

Edit: How old is he? :)

MissSunshine
29-02-12, 13:44
Thank you very much for all your advise! The thing is, because he is having diarrea, when he steps in the poop its hard to get off his fur :(

I change his litter everyday is tht too much? and i scoop the poop out as soon as he goes. I have a thing about smells.

He is only 8 weeks old ! :)

Carys
02-03-12, 15:45
Why does he have the squits...do you know ?