PDA

View Full Version : Doctors haven't a clue what's causing it all!

Carol60
27-02-12, 15:35
Over 3 years ago I started having some strange symptoms i.e. the room would suddenly start spinning around me when I was sitting watching tv, reading or just generally relaxing.

I reported it to my gp but he found nothing amiss. Then I began having dizzy spells during which I suddenly feel faint and nauseous for no apparant reason. Furniture and door frames started 'jumping out at me' so I am constantly covered in painful bruises. Again, tests showed nothing untoward so my gp left it at that.

Then the sweats started! :weep: More symptoms developed and the old ones gradually worsened. Life starting getting me down.

Nearly 4 years on and having undergone so many tests, blood tests and examinations I am still without any answers. My doctor's have, one by one, given up telling me they have no idea what the problem(s) is (are).

I've have neurologists, rhuematologists (2 of them I'm under), an brain mri scan, so many blood tests I lost count and have been tried on so many tablets to 'try to see if they can alleviate some of the symptoms' but they only made them worse. Calcium pills, HRT pills, malaria tablets - non have helped. I'm now suffering from all year round HayFever so have to take a daily tab for that, have bp probs so have pills for that and, as I also suffer from osteo arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, I have two separate tabs for them too.

As I'm writing this the sweating has started again and I've just had to wrap handtowel around my neck as the water is pouring down my face and neck! It's so embarrassing when it happens while out shopping and so annoying and uncomfortable being constantly soaking wet. I have to change my clothes - completely - so many times daily and never get through a night without have to have at least 6 changes of nightwear and bedding.

I have dreadful cramps too, in my hands, legs and feet (so have medication for that) but the scary thing is when I fall UP and/or DOWN the stairs. This happens on a regular basis and, again, I don't know why. Last week I was coming downstairs, just after 6 a.m., slowly and holding the banister when suddenly, without warning, I just felt my right foot 'give way' and felt myself falling again. Hubby heard the bang as I fell sideways onto the stairs and dashed down to help me up. More bruises to add to the collection. My right side took the brunt of it this time so I'm still nursing a very sore shoulder and elbow.

This morning I had to have a scan on my abdomen to see if anything shows up there but, thankfully, all looks ok.

My mum and auntie suffered heavy sweating so I don't know if it's hereditry or not but the doctors keep telling me they have never come across this before.

I recently got very annoyed with my GP because he kept asking to me try amytriptolene (sorry if this is mispelt) which is an antidepressant. I keep telling him I am NOT depressed I have something wrong somewhere in my system.

Our social life is nil because of all this and I try not to let it get me down but I know my hubby worries constantly as he's having to live it with me.

angel wings
27-02-12, 17:32
hi
I Was put on amitriptyline but not for depression i know they are anti depressants but they are also used for other things they did help my dizzyness and weird head symptoms i was having i had a really low dose of 10mg and seemed to help ,but i also have anxiety and did nothing to help with that so am tappering off them.
doctors never seem to have a clue with dizzyness and dont offer much help unfortunatly,i know how you feel with it and hope you can find something that helps

Carys
27-02-12, 18:17
I keep telling him I am NOT depressed I have something wrong somewhere in my system.

Hi Carol, sorry you are feeling so unwell. Can I ask though...you have chosen to post on an anxiety site....yet you have not mentioned anxiety as an issue and only say there are physical problems that remain undiagnosed. Why is that , has anxiety been suggested to you as a possibility ?

mikewales
27-02-12, 18:24
All of the symptoms you have posted can be caused by anxiety, and you dont always have to feel anxious or be panicking to have them.

Most anti-depressants are also prescribed for anxiety, which is probably why your doc suggested them, not for depression.

If you have had all these tests, with nothing showing as being physically wrong, then to me it would point to a mental problem, and trying meds for that would be an obvious step.

Also, as you have joined and posted on an anxiety forum, have you suffered with anxiety before ? or suspect this may be the cause ?

bignik
27-02-12, 18:27
now I know my anxiety that little bit better and can recognise when about to start and can try relaxing etc , I still have issues with weird head sensations and dizzyness too , even when not anxious , I think like previous posters have mentioned its perhaps a mental anxiety thing.