PDA

View Full Version : Holidays - is it just me.

bassplayer
27-02-12, 23:34
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask if there's anyone like me that hates holidays.
Summer is on it's way and I'm getting really anxious, hubby has started to mention holidays and the thought terrifies me.
I've had depression and anxiety for a few years and I hate any change in routine and unfamiliar places and would be happier knowing I never had to go on holiday again.
Hubby keeps falling out with me, he says I'm being selfish because I don't want to go away but even when I agree to go he then gets annoyed that I'm not enthusiastic about it.
The last time we went away was May 2011 for a week and I had awful panic symptoms, I couldn't breath and had horrendous diarrohea the whole week, you'd think he'd understand my reluctance to go away again but far from it ..... I'm just the fat selfish so and so that he doesn't even like anymore :(
Is it just me, am I a total freak not wanting holidays or is there anyone else and if so do you force yourself to go anyway?
Thanks for any replies xx

macc noodle
27-02-12, 23:36
Let him go on his own then!!!!

;-)

bassplayer
28-02-12, 00:08
I really really wish he would!!!!

bassplayer
28-02-12, 22:47
Hmmmm, I'm thinking the lack of comments is a strong indicator that it is just me, I knew it, I'm a total freak, no wonder hubby can't stand me.
Just be really thankful everyone that at least you can enjoy holidays.

eternally optimistic
29-02-12, 09:15
Hi

its not a good place to be, is it.

i have this on my mind too - i didnt make a family holiday back in 2007 and feel this is the year i have to compensate my family by gettting on a plane..

i have holiday'd since then, twice by ferry and once in the uk - so its not all bad.

but, the thought that people dont understand your anxiety and tension towards this subject is bad enough in itself....

the pressure makes it all worse, holidays are supposed to be be fun and stress free not making you freak before you get there.

so, the lack of comments, i would say, is nothing at all to do with you just one of those things, bassplayer (lol)

there are many many posts about very similar situations and you are not alone.

are you on any meds etc that may help you?

DONT BEAT YOURSELF UP . . .

angel wings
29-02-12, 09:38
hi
im the same went 2 years ago with the family was looking forward to it at first but once i got there i started to feel uneasy on the 4th day i had really bad panics and we ended up coming home early and i felt awful,but hoping this year i can but it behind me and go, got to face my fears sometimes but do know how you feel.

bassplayer
29-02-12, 19:12
Thankyou so very much for your replies, I reckon I'm worse than ever with holidays because of the bad time I had last year.
It's always been me that researches, books and organises holidays but I'm debating with myself about telling hubby to book something (in this country) and don't tell me until the day before, that way I won't be getting stressed worrying about it approaching ...... plus I'm hoping that if he has to do it all himself he won't have a clue and so not bother :)
Thanks again.

LauraSmith27
01-03-12, 07:21
I don't like holidays at all either. I love being at home and having a daily routine, but holidays mess all of that up. I'll enjoy the first couple of days, then I can't wait to get back. Sleeping in a strange bed is the worst as I always wake up with panic attacks. I'd much rather stay at home.

LAURA48
01-03-12, 07:45
Hi to you all - very understandable - about 15 years ago - pre medication days - could only go on days out. Then when I was prescribed Prozac was able to go on holiday - we initially bought a touring caravan - not practical for everyone - but it really helped - own bed, kettle, oven, etc, sounds daft but I fully understand. Have never been abroad - husband, fortunately, not bothered - have a dog - won't put in kennels, my excuse but even now we no longer have the caravan - only stay in travelodges - lol - on offers so if I need to cancel I can! but it is horrible when there is pressure. When I got married it was all sorted in a couple of weeks (cancellation)! the thought of years planning would make me a nervous wreck . Good Luck anyway - Laura x

ems73
03-03-12, 08:01
I feel the same sometimes. I find holidays quite stressful and always get a bit anxious. I find it's better going away in the UK, some of the nicest holidays I've had have been cottages in the country, going to Wales this year and going to do lots of walking and nice country pubs. I find it less stressful I think because of the familiarity and being able to go back to a comfortable cottage and just have a cup of tea and put the telly on. Maybe sad but so what. Luckily my partner doesn't really enjoy going abroad anyway.

LAURA48
03-03-12, 08:06
Same here Ems - glad not on my own!

porkypaul
03-03-12, 17:06
Hi I hate holidays,
Just last year my wife my dog and I booked in to a sun holiday in Devon same place we went to last year and so on.
I drove down and parked up and the wife went in with all paper work came back out and said we are booked in at anther camp,I went mad could cope with the change to say I was anxious just wanted to go home,after walking the dog for an hour got back in the car and of we go 30 miles to new camp.

So here we are at new camp only to find they don't allow dogs how sad is that ?
Time is now 1700 and getting dark we have to go 100 miles to a place that takes dogs.
To say I'm looking forward to the next holiday , what do you think ?
sorry for going on xxxxxx

JoJoR
03-03-12, 17:06
I went away on holiday in the UK in May 2011 too and this was around the beginning of my depression and anxiety so I was unmedicated and seeing my doctor for blood tests etc. It was during this holiday that my panic attacks started and I became very anxious about everything. The holiday was full of activities for the children and we filled our days but this didn't stop me feeling worked up about everything. It wasn't a relaxing holiday!! .. My hubby and mum have mentioned a holiday to me recently and the thought of it made me feel sick. I practically re-lived the terrible May 2011 panic attack I had. My anxiety tends to circle around finances so then I ended up counting up money to see how we'd afford a holiday which made me panic even more.... by bed time I was really upset. I can't talk about it because nobody understands and they get cross with me.

koalalou
03-03-12, 20:26
Hi,I'm trying to be "normal" and booked 5 days to Butlins a month ago.I'm recovering from flu and have been getting more stressed as i still feel unwell,am worried about 3 hours of trains.It's just me and my 5 yr old and we are going on Monday.I want her to have a fab time but I won't relax until we step off the train on friday and I have given her a holiday.sad but true.We went last year and i had no sleep the first night,it was scary as i just shook from head to toe,still don't know why but guess it was the after shock of coping with the train journey..Don't go if you really don't want to...