PDA

View Full Version : Hello

monty
23-06-06, 11:37
I've just joined today. So I thought I should tell you all a bit about myself. I am in desperate need of some help and understanding from people in a similar situation to me.

I am 16, finished high school last year. After being bullied by boys at my middle school I decided to go to the local all-girls high school. Big mistake. I made some new friends and up to year 10 was quite happy and content with life. Then they decided they didn't like me anymore- made up horrible stories about me, turned people in my classes against me, made sure i had no where to sit in lessons and generally made my life a misery. Given that i've always been an anxious girl it hit me hard. eventually i found some new friends and things were getting back to normal, but in November 2003 i had my first panic attack.

it was in a maths lesson and i got hot and sweaty and felt like the room was moving- i went home but no-one knew what was actually wronmg with me. So, i continued to get attacks at school- i associated going upstairs with getting them and started to avoid these situations. After struggling desperately for the rest of year 10, with the attacks becoming more frequent, i finally had to stop going to school in year 11. I ended up taking my GCSEs and doing all lessons from home.

Of course, once i stopped attending school, my mind had to think of other things that could make me panic- larger shops and supermarkets- car journeys, going upstairs anywhere etc. etc. I am pleased to say i am not yet housebound, but even with phycologist help from our hospital, and reading books, listening to relaxction tapes etc, I feel that is where i am heading.

Yesterday saw yet another hideous trip to the hospital. As soon as i got into the room with no windows my legs began to shake and i felt i would collapse (my legs would carry me) if i didn't hold onto something. It was terrifying and took me nearly an hour of feeling really panicky, before i could manage to get out of the hospital.

I rely a lot on my mum and my instinctive reaction is now to grabn hold of her if i feel panicky. I don't know what else to do, i try to do all the hospital tell em, but i find it very difficult to cope with the terror i feel so often.

Please help.

chedda
23-06-06, 11:52
Hia Monty and welcome to the site:)
Im sure you will find lots of help and advice here.You are doing the right thing by keep going to the hospital because like you said you start to avoid things because you get panic.This is what i did and i now dont go out at all:(.Persevere with it ,it is so important because it isnt the places that cause the panic and keep telling yourself this.I still get panic attacks and symtpoms at home not quite as bad as if im out but they are still there.You had a really rough time at school and obviously this has knocked your confidence and let the anxiety and panic set in.You are heading in the right direction though with medical help,are you actually getting therapy or are you on medication?I know and understand how hard it is and how easy it is to avoid any situation that causes the panic but dont get like me keep forcing yourself to go out everyday if you can.Try to have positive thoughts and keep saying to yourself hey i coped with and came through all the other panic attacks and this one will be no different.Hope you joining this site will help you aswell to make you feel better and to realise you are not on your own:D
PM me if you want to chat
take care cherylxx

trac67
23-06-06, 12:15
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hayles
23-06-06, 12:51
Hi and a very big welcome

Hay x

polly daydream
23-06-06, 12:54
Hi and welcome Monty, You will get plenty of support and advice here.

Keep your chin up sweety,

Best wishes,

Polly

jill
23-06-06, 13:20
Hi Monty :D

WELCOME TO THE SITE

There are lots of nice people here who will help and support you.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

When you fear something
learn as much about it as you can
knowledge conquers fear

manmoor
23-06-06, 13:42
Hi Monty,

You will be made very welcome here. There's loads of advice and everyones so friendly and helpful.

Mandy

xx

clickaway
23-06-06, 13:56
Hi and welcome to the site.

Glad you are getting help - the only way to get better is to face things rather than avoid them. But do this in small steps and you will get there eventually.

I'm glad you took your GCSE's and wish you well for positive results. A friend of mine's daughter got bullied and was forced to study away from the class - but once starting college she was able to sit with her fellow students as they weren't known threats.

Take care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Attsila
23-06-06, 15:04
Welcome to the forum monty. You will find soo much support here and yes you are definately not alone :-)

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

PUGLETMUM
23-06-06, 15:22
HELLO MONTY, AND FIRSTLY I'M GLAD YOU'VE FOUND THIS SITE AND I BELIEVE YOU WILL GET BETTER JUST BY KNOWING YOUR NOT ALONE.

I AM PARTICULARLY INTERESTED WHEN I SEE A POST FROM A SCHOOL AGE PERSON OR SOMEONE WHO FIRST EXPERIENCED PANIC AS A KID, BECAUSE I HAD MY FIRST ATTACK AGE 14.

WHAT STRUCK ME WAS YOUR INABILITY TO SEE HOW STRONG YOU MUST BE TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HAVE TOLERATED FIRST THE BULLYING AND THEN THE PANIC ATTACKS!!!

MY GOD, YOU ARE A STRONG KID, BUT YOU ARE AWARE THAT YOU ARE NOW DEVELOPING AVOIDANT BEHAVIOUR, AND THIS IS WHERE YOU NEED HELP ( NOT NESSECARILY FROM OUTSIDE LIKE MENTAL HEALTH PEOPLE, AS SOMETIMES THEY ARE UNABLE TO ACTUALLY CONVEY TO YOU THAT WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCING IS NOT ABNORMAL AND THAT ALTHOUGH HORRENDOUS YOU HAVE THE POWER TO TURN IT AROUND, THEY DON'T HAVE THAT POWER YOU DO YOURSELF!!) BY READING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN ABOUT THIS AND BY GETTING THE BOOKS AND FINDING WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. THE FACT IS IT HAPPENS AND IT HAPPENS TO THOUSANDS BUT HOW YOU PERCIEVE IT IS THE KEY TO YOUR SUCCESS OR FAILURE. YOU ARE NO DIFFERENT TO ANYBODY, SOME PEOPLE FEEL ANXIETY AND SOME DON'T, AND YOU CAN LIVE YOUR LIFE AND EXPERIENCE IT AT THE SAME TIME. YOU WILL NOT DIE OR GO MAD BECAUSE IF IT COULD DO THAT TO YOU IT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED BY NOW!!! IT CAN CAUSE YOU TO BECOME DEPRESSED AND DEMOTIVATED WHICH IN TURN CAN LEAD YOU TO FEEL WORSE ABOUT YOUR LIFE AND THE SITUATION YOU FIND YOURSELF IN, BUT THERE ARE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP WITH THAT ASWELL. ALWAYS HERE TO CHAT EMMAS

chucklehound
23-06-06, 15:52
Hi Monty and welcome to NMP

Take care

Chuckle

xxxx

Karen
23-06-06, 16:02
Hi Monty

Welcome to the forum.

You might like to have a read through the following information as a place to start:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

giddy
23-06-06, 16:19
Welcome to the forum Monty
Love Helen

monty
24-06-06, 11:27
Thanks for all your kind messages. Can anyone recommend a book or relaxation tape that they've found particularly helpful? I've been looking on Amazon but there's so many to choose from. Also, has anyone tried the 'Linden Method'? Was it helpful?

Thanks again, I hope you all have a good weekend.

Lucy x (my name is actually lucy- monty is my cat's name and i use it for all username thingys- he means a lot to me!);)

emmy
24-06-06, 12:05
hello lucy and welcome monty is a great name for a cat my cat was called gizmo [8D]

you will get all the help you need on here and make some great friends

emily xxxx

if it looks like it works and feels like it works then it works!!!

nomorepanic
24-06-06, 15:25
Hi Lucy

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

For books - check out the ones we recommend ...

Reading for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=reading)

For relaxation CD's try ....
http://www.hypnosisaudio.com/

For Linden - read these ...

[Link removed as post deleted]
confused (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3755)
The Linden Method (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4718)

Nicola

Paddington
26-06-06, 13:28
helo Lucy,what a brave and wise young lady you are!You already know that,as you avoid one situation,we find another one to avoid so limiting our boundaries till we stay in,but then it becomes things in the house,so dont go there!!!I went ther ,thought i would feel safe,twoddle,it doesn't work like that!You are doing soooo well,i know it doesnt feel like that,but you are!Tapes helped me ,i like Paul mckenna cd's.I like the one for stress and anxiety.It is sooo calming!Keep up the god work Lucy,and keep posting too,love mary-rose,xxxxxxxxxxxxx

we are all in the same boat and can guide each other ashore

monty
26-06-06, 15:13
Thanks for your help.

I'll look into the Paul McKenna CDs. Thanks again.

:)