PDA

View Full Version : Acid reflux omeprazole dosage?

mike_coventry_uk
28-02-12, 17:42
Hi!

I have had issues with reflux for some time now(over a year) and have been on small doses of omeprazole 20/40mg a day.

Recently I have been suffering really bad with phlegm in my throat,feels like a big ball of phlegm Is stuck and can't cough it up,the gp has said its nothing to worry about and basically told me to live with it.

Am concerned tho as the symptoms have never been this bad before! I have never had a scope and worry that my Esophogus is been worn away and am concerned also about barretts!

I am considering putting up my omeprazole to 80mg a day as some sites say this is the way to treat it! I have another doc appt on thurs but just expect to be brushed aside again :(

I don't know what to do now :(

Any sufferers who can help? Anyone on a 80mg dose?

Mike

pearl79
28-02-12, 17:48
40 max for me xxx

Breezay
28-02-12, 17:51
Talk to your GP before increasing your dose.
It might just be that tablet isn't agreeing with you and you need a different one.

mike_coventry_uk
28-02-12, 17:56
I already had lansoprazole and didn't wrk! I'm just desperate to get to the bottom of why I get this constant phlegm,it's really getting me down :(

xtremx
28-02-12, 18:43
Hiya mike, I am on 40mg aday, Would not advice increasing on your own ask the doc. But the phlegm thing try increasing your water intake (that does help) and cut down on dairy products (if you have done so already).

I know in another thread of yours i said about post-nasal drip and you said you don't suffer from it but even a very mild case will cause the sticky stuff at the back of the throat.

Maybe an idea try some vicks vapour rub on your chest see it help also i find if i brush my teeth right before bed i have more phlegm to hack up in the morning but if i brush a few hours before i have less (must dry my mouth out to much).

Have had gerd for 3 years no + post nasal drip

pearl79
28-02-12, 19:18
sure it isnt your sinuses xxx

haz
28-02-12, 19:18
I took omeprazole for years 20mg. About six months ago my acid reflux became really bad again, unbearable actually, went to A&E one night it was so bad.

Anyway, after trying lansoprazole, ranitidine, I'm now on esomeprazole and it works much better.

Try asking your GP about esomeprazole.

Good Luck. :)

pb
28-02-12, 22:15
I take 40mg a day divided into 2 doses, this works well most of the time. It would be best to check with your gp before upping the dose.Last year my reflux was quite bad and i had an endoscopy just to check things, i was told that most doctors will not just increase medication without checking first.Mine settled down again after a few weeks , so hopefully yours will.