PDA

View Full Version : Death phobia

Attsila
23-06-06, 14:54
Hey there.
My anxiety has taken a weird turn since I had my gall Bladder surgery. Now I have moments where I dwell on the fact that one day everyone is gonna die and that includes me. I like to call it "realizing my own mortality". It started when I kept having alot of DP/DR feelings that I just wasn't real and in a movie or something. It scares the heck out of me and the thought that anything could happen at anytime really does frighten me. Before my surgery I was more afraid of being sick but now it is something so different. I even get afraid that because I think about death so much that it is gonna happen soon or something like it is a premonition or something. The little aches and pains I have had since my surgery don't even phase my doctors so I don't know why I am even worried. 3 months ago I was carefree and nothing bothered me and most would say that I had NO FEAR and great faith and for the most part that was very true. However I lost a couple of friends and a little baby that I held not a couple of weeks ago was killed this week and it just scares the heck out of me cuz I am a single mom and I have my boys to take care of. My dad had alot of health problems and died when he was 42 my uncles both died 6 months later of a mysterious illness too. I had gallstones like my dad did and I am scared I will be like them even though I don't drink or smoke, have tatoos or have a bad diet like they did. My mom is 58 and more active then me and all my grandparents lived past their 70's . So I shouldn't worry at all These feelings even cause me to question my faith which is the real disturbing part. I have been staying with my mom since the surgery and the time has come for me to go home soon and I am scared of that because me and my boys don't live in the best neighborhood....I am sure I had these feelings when I went through this before but it as 8 years ago and I don't remember. I just want to be normal again and not have these feelings and be able to enjoy sleep again like I used to. Anyone have and suggestions. [?]

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere

jollywalrus
25-06-06, 19:47
Hi Attsila,

What you must do is remember that most people never get really ill and live to be a good old age. I use to worry about dying all the time,especially about leaving my kids, but now I realise that there is nothing I can do about it and if I spend all my time worrying about it, then I am not living anyway.

I'm sure this will pass and you will feel a bit like your old self again. I know it passed for me.

Best wishes,
Christine x

arethaire
28-06-06, 22:01
Hi Attsila

This must be my biggest fear & I know I must come to terms with it, but how????
It's just the thought of leaving all the people I love behind, the thought of never seeing them again. (I am crying just typing this)

Sorry I can't be of any help to you, but just to let you know your not alone!!!

Cath x

pinkpenny1uk
28-06-06, 23:26
death too is my biggest fear. i,m scared of dying and not seeing my kids grow up. i know it comes to ua all eventually but it dosn't stop me worrying about it all the time.
i too would value any input and advice on how to stop having these thoughts and fears.

rosekay
29-06-06, 13:57
I think I started to turn the corner when I thought to myself, I don't want to end up at the end of my life realizing how much I had wasted, worrying instead of living.

Attsila
02-07-06, 14:29
I really don't know how to get over it other than to pray. The fear of death was bad enough but the hopelessness I feel concerning life is worse. I have 2 kids to raise and it is just so hard when EVERYTHING sends my anxiety into a tail spin. I can't eat or sleep and I am losing weight. I try to snap out of it but I don't know how. Everything just feels so illusionary. I thought it was because I had made so many changes in my lifestyle due to my surgery and trying to get my life right with God. Maybe it is just too much. I am taking tofranil and ambien and even with that I can only get 6 hours of sleep at night. I know you are supposed to live in the heare and now with anxiety but it is such a struggle when the here and now is filled with such fearI just pray that the meds help soon and that I get a miracle so I can think better. I have 2 kids to raise that have no one but me and I haven't been the best parent to them lately. Thank you to all who have replied.

worrying is alot Like a Rocking Chair It is something todo but it won't get you anywhere