PDA

View Full Version : Time to introduce myself

arbie
07-05-04, 00:10
Well, been lurking for a few days and though I'd join the community properly. :)

Male, 26 years old. Had my first panic attack when I was 15 . Had them quite bad during my GCSE Exams when I was 16. Usually happens at time of pressure, but been getting many spontaneous ones since last November. I suffer from depression, anxiety and sometimes insomnia (horrible when it is due to panic attacks).

Been off work since early February. Currently taking beta-blockers every now and again. Refusing to take tranquilisers due to fear of dependancy.

Wonderful site. Plan to come here often.

Erm.. that will do. Hello to all!

Meg
07-05-04, 09:09
Welcome Arbie,

Glad to hear you liked us enough to join properly.

I would urge you to take time to consider whether these recent ones are truly spontaneous or are in some way connected to your eating habits, any stimulants or indeed what you're thinking about and low conciously dwelling on.

Ypu may find it helpful to take the betablockers regularly for a few weeks so you get some sort of a break from the symptoms by having enough on board to stop them rather than fire fighting once they've arrived.

Have you left work or are on sick leave ?

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

april tones
07-05-04, 16:33
welcome arbie, i have depression and anxiety too, im on the mend now though, im sure you will be soon.Do beta blockers help?do you get stressed easily? have you tried exercising? i do it and it helps me, love april

apriltones

arbie
07-05-04, 18:01
I wouldn't be too surprised if my diet contributes to my panic attacks. I still have some caffeine (usually max of 1 drink a day though) and refined sugars. I plan to reduce all further still and eat healthier (fruit, veggies, pasta, brown rice etc.) to help with that.

I do exercise (usually walking) which does help with various things.

Due to anxiety and depression issues I usually have some worries going on. But, lately things have got better and the attacks just seemed to come again anyhow.

As for the beta blockers, I don't take them every day. If I am feeling stressed, or think I will be quite stressed about something, I may take some during that day. They do make me feel "odd" in other ways though, but it is nice when the physical symptoms are decreased.

I haven't left work, just on sick leave. Things are gradually getting better I guess (but when in a slump, that thought of course disappears).

I've gone off anti-depressants. They helped with some issues for a while (but I did have side effects on all of them) but I would rather keep on changing my life style. I'm getting there (I won't due the story so far bit, quite a long one) but I do feel stressed while doing it.

Thanks for the welcome.

beachstar
07-05-04, 20:34
Well, I feel a fraud to welcome you as I only found the site about a week ago. It helps to know there are others doesn't it?

BTW I'm 27 + Male and been suffering problems almost as long as you, there is hope! If you've not already then take a bit of time to read through the success stories messages.:)

Chris