PDA

View Full Version : New here - seeking head related reassurance!

fountainhead
29-02-12, 17:32
Hi everyone.

I suffer from health anxiety coupled with a big phobia of doctors. I used to be the same with dentists too but I conquered that a year or so ago.

My anxiety has been at its worst for the last 3-4 weeks - I suspect because I have been on a health kick and given up drinking alcohol - so I have been dealing with my anxiety with nothing to take the edge off!

My current worry is related to a tightness / shivery feeling on the top left of my scalp. It has been fairly constant over the past few weeks although it has abated at various points - usually (strangely) when I am at my most relaxed!

It's not a pain as such, more of an irritation, and at some points my scalp feels very sensitive with it. It could almost be described as my scalp having a little spasm.

Coupled with this I keep realising that I am grinding or clenching my teeth, and I have had some sinus / allergy problems. I believe (and hope) that it is all related. I don't really have any other symptoms right now, in fact I FEEL pretty healthy having spent four weeks eating very well, exercising and drinking lots of water and no alcohol!

I guess my reason for posting is so that people can tell me if they have experienced similar symptoms. Although the rational part of me know that this isn't a brain tumour or a stroke, the panic part of me still can't shake that it may be something serious. Deep down, I think I know it isn't and if I was a normal person I could go to the doctor for reassurance, but I am scared of being told I need CT / MRI scans and finding out it's something terrible. It doesn't help that I live in a foreign country where the language barrier with doctors can be a problem.

Help!

swgrl09
29-02-12, 17:35
I always have some tightness in different places on my scalp. For me it is from tension spreading up from my shoulders. Muscle tension can radiate everywhere! It is basically a muscle spasm on my head.

paula lynne
29-02-12, 18:45
Welcome to the forum!
Wherever there are nerve endings, there can be sensativity......this is particularly true with those who have anxiety.....it is very common, It wont hurt you, although I understand it is unpleasant. ( Ive had it in my mouth, face, lips, chin, ears, scalp)
Stick around, youre not alone x:welcome:

carmen2012
29-02-12, 19:10
I have had the same thing all anxiety related it's scary. I have seen my Dr on numerous occasions I also get tingling across my shoulders it feels like a prickly sensation I too realised that I tense my jaw a lot so much so that it aches. Anxiety feeds off us in allsorts of frightening ways. I'm sure it's anxiety hun :-)