PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline question

frenchbean
29-02-12, 19:58
Hi all, I am new here and have recently been prescribed 50mg of sertraline for the symptoms of my anxiety and panic.

I haven't started taking it yet as I'm very frightened of the side effects being worse than I already feel.

Is sertraline usually prescribed for panic above other anti d's? I have read that it's good for anxiety disorder.

I would love some advice from people who have used or are using sertraline and if it's helped at all? Or if any other medication has helped? I'm getting to the stage where I feel I have nothing to loose. I have 3 children and carrying on normally with my job and looking after the family is becoming very difficult.

Thanks in advance all

Bean x

haz
29-02-12, 20:04
Hi Bean,

All SSRI's are prescribed for anxiety disorders. Why don't you half the tablet and take 25mg for a week and see how you get on?

The initial side effects I experienced when I first started taking sertraline were mild. Some slight nausea, mild upset stomach and a bit of insomnia. You might not get ANY side effects.

You won't know if they work unless you taken them. :)

Best Wishes.
Haz.

LAURA48
01-03-12, 07:34
Hi - in the same boat due to start 100mg tomorrow - dreading side effects and still feeling the lasting effects of Prozac! Hope you get on ok - Laura

goingbonkers
01-03-12, 13:02
hi bean,
i have been on sertraline for three weeks now, had mild side effects too, i was on citerlopram before and felt terrible, i take 50 mg,but have to say after the second week, i feel my anxiety coming back, not panic levels though, so coping at the mo - i will continue until i see my gp again, she wants me to get off them a.s.a.p, i'm scared but feel at if you mask it too long with anti- de you will never tame the beast, got to take it by the horns and get control, someone said to me if you feed it, it will grow but if you starve it, it will die!
got to be some truth in that! allie x

xhyperyogix
01-03-12, 13:09
hi there - been on sert for 6 weeks now - very little in the way of side effects really. see some of my older posts for more on that - mainly had headaches and was thirsty. had 50mg at first, and then as of today started on 100mg - At first it was like a wonder drug and I loved it, and then the depression etc crept back in, but not as bad as before. So, doc thinks I need more of it hence the dose increase, which I started this morning. Today I feel bloody great!

Anyway, I'd give it a go. It definitely worked for the physical anxiety symptoms before it did anything else. Most of them I had no idea were anxiety tbh!!!

Good luck xxxx

asear85
01-03-12, 13:48
Wow frenchbean ur post sounds like u jus described me... I'm goin docs 2moz told her I'm confused between sertraline and citraloplam. I'm very scared about side effects especially as I've read so much on here about it and one of the side effects being anxiety????? Soooo confused I am.. Really dnt wanna take tabs but jus had enough now..!! X

Kate21
01-03-12, 15:37
I've been on sert since last july 'ish have gradually gone upto 150mg and I think it has helped me loads! at first I got some odd side effects including bad insomnia but I'm so glad I kept taking it because even though I've been very up and down I do think it has been a good crutch for me whilst waiting to start therapy (I started last week).
So yeah just remember that any bad side effects will not last forever and that if you really want to try something else then you can always change x

frenchbean
07-03-12, 12:50
Thanks all for the replies. They are reassuring. I also have a prescription for propanalol so might try that first. xx

maverick11
10-03-12, 20:10
Hello,
Don't want to scare you, but don't take it. I took it started at 50mg, and 1st week was ok, but by 2nd week i was a nervous wreck, could not sllep or eat. Then was upped to 100mg, made me worse, I am now back on citalopram 40mg, as used to be on 60mg. I am still suffering some side effects. sweats at night, not sleeping properly, stomach pains, leg pains, RLS, anxoius. My GP has given me something for ibs, to see if that helps stomach pains, and having blood tests on Wednesday.
Regards
Pat

william wallace
11-03-12, 11:39
Hello,
Don't want to scare you, but don't take it.

Not really helpful mate, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else:)

LAURA48
11-03-12, 13:52
Yes not very helpful - I could say the same about Prozac worked brilliantly first time round but second time was terrible but I would still recommend it. Please do not scaremonger on the threads - what works for one doesn't for another. We are all different and you have to try different meds to find the correct one - we all need support!

haz
11-03-12, 14:24
Not really helpful mate, just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else:)

True! One's person's nightmare drug is another person's saviour drug.

If you read through all the posts on different meds you will see that the outcome varies from person to person.

Process of elimination I'm afraid until you find the right drug for YOU. :)

StormKitten_1
15-03-12, 10:33
Hi all, I am new here and have recently been prescribed 50mg of sertraline for the symptoms of my anxiety and panic.

I haven't started taking it yet as I'm very frightened of the side effects being worse than I already feel.

Is sertraline usually prescribed for panic above other anti d's? I have read that it's good for anxiety disorder.

I would love some advice from people who have used or are using sertraline and if it's helped at all? Or if any other medication has helped? I'm getting to the stage where I feel I have nothing to loose. I have 3 children and carrying on normally with my job and looking after the family is becoming very difficult.

Thanks in advance all

Bean x

I've been on it since roughly October/November 2011, no side effects that I know of. I've recently just had Propanolol added as the sertraline wasnt controlling my new panic attacks which started in the last 2 months

Good luck =)

laalaa78
15-03-12, 17:58

well said WW :yesyes:
hate when people post total negatives about their own experience!! and tbh i think we make up most if the side effects in our own heads due to the anxiety as there is side effects with all medication..
ps hope ur doin well on ur meds :hugs::hugs:

LAURA48
15-03-12, 19:00
Hi Laalaa - totally agree - need positive stuff

laalaa78
16-03-12, 10:16
Hi Laalaa - totally agree - need positive stuff

hi laura :D
hope your feeling well today :yesyes:
did u start ur meds?
i am on day 6 fluoxetine 20mg not had any side effects so far and feel better today than i did this time last week, was at an all time low and so tired of fighting this and sick of tired existing in this life and not living!! have been really trying to keep positive every day and telling myself i will beat this horrendous illness and 2012 gonna be my year to have a life again :shades:
my life has slowly got smaller and smaller and sometimes even leaving the house has been impossible :shrug: have tried every day to go out of the house even just to my local shop, and even managed an hour at the park with my 2 yr old on wed!
i know that this is gonna be the hardest thing i am ever gonna do but gonna try and push myself a little every day by doin small things that 'normal' people do without planning and thinking about :unsure:
please know that u r not alone and this website is really good for support :yahoo::yahoo::hugs::hugs:

love leigh-ann xxxx

Worriedgirl87
17-03-12, 00:54

I agree with you.

Don't tell someone not to take something--it might work for them
And change their life for the better!

I just started taking sertraline
I notice good results