PDA

View Full Version : constant anxiety

dovid
29-02-12, 20:00
hi, im 26, i have generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety and OCD, basically im anxious all the time, cant seem to relax ever, and i read with anxiety disorders life usually seems very stressfull all or most of the time, ive been on medication since i was 17, different anti depressents, anti anxiety, sleeping pills etc, and ive been having CBT for 2 and a half years, but my anxiety never lets up, i quit college in january due to ill health but they've let me rejoin the course next week after missing like 8 weeks, i still have to get out of my flat everyday because i hate my own company and hate spending much time on my own, even getting on a tram into town i panick alot and this stresses me out alot, the problem is that every day im anxious and feel like im going to be this way forever and i'll never be rid of my anxiety and i feel very hopeless alot, ive read books recently on anxiety but its not changed anything, i split up with my girlfriend 8 weeks ago and the evenings are the worst, i feel soo lonely, isolated and all that, plus i only have 1 friend and ive even been told by my therapist that hes bad news for me as hes such a controlling person, and this gets me so down, but i dont have any other friends so i end up keep speaking to him all the time even though i dont want to, cause i have no one else in my life. also i missed out on my teenage years and early 20s when i should have been around people my own age and having fun instead i was constantly in and out of psychiatric hospitals every 6 months, i dont even ever vision myself without my anxiety disorders.

bignik
29-02-12, 20:53
sorry to hear your feeling lonely , how about joining a local club people with similar interests or a local support group. I appreciate your anxiety causing problems but you have to try and make a liitle effort , even a little at a time .. small baby steps.

Even communicating and joining in on the forum etc you will find new people with similar problems etc , exchange ideas , your views and problems , perhaps meet up with someone on the site who lives near you , they have a meet up section on the forum etc ... so perhaps meeting people with similar problems to you would make that a little easier for you

I wish you well and hope you enjoy the site , lots of useful info etc

Rach29
29-02-12, 21:15
Hi Dovid im sure now you have joined college again you will meet new friends and like bignik said go to a local club your interested in i know its horrible feeling anxious all the time but you have to be strong tell yourself you will get through this no matter what and try to stay positive dont let it beat you hope this helps a bit

dovid
29-02-12, 22:13
thanks bignik & rach29 for replying,i found a anxiety support group not too far from me that runs every 2nd thursday and its on tomorrow night so i'll be going to that. going back to college on monday, im dreading it after missing so much. being positive when you have anxiety is a must, the basics is rational thinking which i dont do otherwise i wouldnt get my anxiety attacks etc

dovid
01-03-12, 18:26
i had another panic attack today, had to go back to my flat, even though my therapist keeps telling me to stay until my anxiety calms down but i cant!!! im now missing my anxiety support group this evening which is only every second week. its soo stressfull

Rach29
01-03-12, 18:42
i know it really is when i have a panic attack outside i just stop sit or kneel down and breath and wait til it passes a bit then try again and if i have another i do the same as scary as they are you have to try and beat them if you can have little practises walkin there this week see how u do even if u make it halfway its good then try again the nxt day or whenever you feel ready you have til nxt thursday to practise see if it helps x

dovid
01-03-12, 19:03
thanks rach29, i know what your saying, im seeing my CBTherapist tomorrow which this sounds crazy but i asked her recently if i could have therapy every day instead of weekly, she said it doesnt work like that. im back to college on monday, i have a bad feeling about everything all the time, its messed up, its majorly holding me back. im going to a mental health kind of centre/ programme tomorrow to try out creative writing in the am, then therapy in the pm, whenever im out and im feeling incredibly anxious im looking around and everyone else seems to be soo relaxed, then im scared people are going to start shouting out abuse out me, i dont know why, ive done nothing wrong, its my anxiety, unusual thoughts!!

Rach29
01-03-12, 19:13
its horrible isnt it well i hope it works for you just try to keep strong no matter how hard it seems xx

dovid
01-03-12, 20:12
will try! x

Recsense
01-03-12, 20:29
I'm going to look for an anxiety support group near me if there is one, trouble is I'm in a village and my panic attacks are mostly at the wheel. Good luck Dovid.

dovid
01-03-12, 20:35
thanks, luckily for me the one i found isnt too far away, wouldnt have known about it if not for my therapist

Recsense
01-03-12, 20:38
Have you been yet?

dovid
01-03-12, 20:57
ive not been this evening but i went 2 weeks ago for first time, i found it helped, its run by people who are recovering from anxiety disorders and one of the things suggested to me was getting some book on nervousness and anxiety, which i did, im only about a third of the way through the book though

Recsense
01-03-12, 21:07
My dyslexia and dyspraxia make reading difficult, I know someone who cured the self with a book and didn't take meds, I'm jealous, wish I could read, I struggle with comprehension issues.

dovid
02-03-12, 18:06
they cured themselves with a book? musn't have been so deeprooted and complex then, if only it was that simple..........ive been on soo many different meds, even injections!

Recsense
02-03-12, 18:11
Never had injections. I have only very mild OCD, restless leg syndrome, but a general anxiety disorder, I was on 20mg of cipralex and 10mg of diazepan but tapered it all off and stopped the meds two weeks ago. Have now had to sart again and using 20mg of diazepan now.

Wanted to say thanks for recommending the groups, I am going to one tomorrow, hopefully I won't freak out too much, lol.

dovid
02-03-12, 18:21
no probs. i took diazepam for a couple of weeks about 6 weeks back but i found that that and zolpidem were making me drowsy all the time, so i came off it and just take nytol at night with halloperidol plus citalopram in the am which ive been on for 4 years straight. support groups are great, no need to freak out. is restless leg syndrome like constant leg trembling or more or less constant, ive had it for years, people stare at me it feels like cos it happens everyday when im on the tram, oh and i take procyclidine for side effects caused by other pills, its alot of pills, i should be rattaling!!

Recsense
02-03-12, 18:34
Lol, my feet just feel hot from time to time and I have to move them. I stopped the zolpidem and zopiclone as 50mg of promethazine (a non addictive antihistamine) helps me sleep, it's very cheap but I suppose I should say "speak to your doctor" as I don't know if you can take the promethazine with your other meds. I only need to take it once or twice a week if my sleeping pattern looks like its going out of sync.

Darrenb74
02-03-12, 18:57
Hello dovid. Something that might help you is going on a dry run. Sometimes when i know i have to be at a certain place. That can get me anxious even before i've left home. So maybe taking that trip a day or so before knowing you haven't got to go in to your session and also knowing you can go back home anytime without getting annoyed with yourself may really help you. Good Luck
Darren :)

dovid
02-03-12, 18:57
yea, i know promethazine, i was prescribed it for 2 years straight 20mg, and then after seeing psychiatrist he gave me 50mg promethazine for a few weeks, it didnt make me sleep so i got rid of it, over the counter sleep aids are better then zopiclone,zolpidem etc, besides the addiction, your drowsy all day! at the chemist they wouldnt give me 50mg pills of promethazine, said it was too high, id need a presciption for it, still im gonna keep taking nytol, forever probably!

Recsense
02-03-12, 19:18
A lot of people say promethazine does not work for them, suppose I'm lucky. Isn't the active ingredient in nytol promethazine ?

dovid
02-03-12, 19:22
hi darren, thanks. ive missed alot of my exams and studies, but returning monday morning after ill health, been dreading it! im aiming to get there early on my first day back, i tried returning mid janruary but panicked too much outside the building and went all the way home. i panicked yesterday and had to go home. my CBTherapist keeps telling me i need to break the cycle of panic and then getting out of there. i showed her this thread which i printed off and she agrees with all the replies i got, and i get more out this forum then ringing samaritans every bloomin' night!

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

im checking and it says it contains diphenhydramine, never heard of it! its strange as lower dose worked for me for years but higher dose didnt

Recsense
02-03-12, 19:25
Oh not promethazine then, don't know where I dreamt that up. If I have to be somewhere I don't want to go, I arrive almost bang on time, that way I don't over think it, in fact running late helps me I think.

dovid
02-03-12, 19:33
it might sound stupid this, but i panic about getting to my study course late, to the point where id rather not go in at all then be half an hour late. i just thought if i got there a bit early on first day back i could speak to my tutour before the rooms full with students

Recsense
02-03-12, 19:37
We all have our way of coping, if being early and letting yourself settle is yours, that's what you need to do. I'm the opposite, we will all have different coping mechanisms. I might try being early and see if I find that easier, I do get a little stressed if I'm running too close to the wind time wise.

lyuba
03-03-12, 12:51
I'm a new member. I have suffered from G.A.D., O.C.D. and related depression from infancy until now (in my late 50s) though I've only been taking medication & seeing a psychiatrist and other mental health professionals for the last eleven years. I'm interested to see other members have been prescribed diazepam & citalopram for anxiety.Is the Diazepam generally prescribed long term, or only as an "emergency" measure? As it has been the only thing which I've so far received which has kept my G.A.D. & panic symptoms under some sort of "control", I've been very frustrated that is only offered to me in cases of extremity, for very short periods. Also, I've just started seeing a new psychiatrist, who is reviewing my medication and thinking of taking me off high doses of Fluoxetine in order to switch to citalopram. Has it helped others? For the record, I've had C.B.T. and other "talking" therapies, as well as Pregabalin & Quetiapine, none of which have helped, so, as you can see, I'm genuinely hoping for something positive this time!

Recsense
03-03-12, 13:21
citalipram helped me but paired with benzo's like diazepan for the past 4 years, did think i was cured as took all meds down to minimum and stopped but two weeks later i relapsed and i am back to where I started. I found they helped, others will swear by other meds, seroxat made me suicidal for instance, i think it depends on the individual.

dovid
04-03-12, 18:33
hi lyuba, i think diazepam is only short term, ive only been precribed it for a maximum of 10 days, but i think some are on it for years maybe, cause its addictive its prescribed short term.ive tried fluoxetine or 'prozac' a long time ago, but i never took it as prescribed and so was moved on to venlafaxine, which was a much higher dose. im on citalopram 40mg down from 60mg cause 60mg isnt prescribed anymore , ive been taking it for 4 years and when i started self medicating on it and missing doses thats when i ended up in hospital, i dont know though wether its doing me any good, cos i have GAD, SAD,OCD and its supposed to help me with that especially since i take it with halloperidol which is for my anxiety but it dont stop my panic and anxiety attacks. ive been in CBT for 2 and half years and its helped with one of my social phobias. hope ive answered some of your questions

Mountainclimber
04-03-12, 19:30
Stick with it, dont run away, stay strong and remember its only a feeling, it wont harm you, and will pass.:yesyes:

cathycrumble
04-03-12, 19:41
hi lyuba, i think diazepam is only short term, ive only been precribed it for a maximum of 10 days, but i think some are on it for years maybe, cause its addictive its prescribed short term.ive tried fluoxetine or 'prozac' a long time ago, but i never took it as prescribed and so was moved on to venlafaxine, which was a much higher dose. im on citalopram 40mg down from 60mg cause 60mg isnt prescribed anymore , ive been taking it for 4 years and when i started self medicating on it and missing doses thats when i ended up in hospital, i dont know though wether its doing me any good, cos i have GAD, SAD,OCD and its supposed to help me with that especially since i take it with halloperidol which is for my anxiety but it dont stop my panic and anxiety attacks. ive been in CBT for 2 and half years and its helped with one of my social phobias. hope ive answered some of your questions

Dovid this may help its a talk by dr claire weeks she is really good and she has a couple of books out about gad and ocd.

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover

Hope it helps you

Cathy xx

dovid
04-03-12, 20:11
hi cathy its funny u mention claire weekes, cos only like 2 weeks ago i was suggested her book and i got''essential help for your nerves'' i read like a third of it , plus i read a little of susan jeffers ''feel the fear and do it anyway'' i felt better immediately after reading claire weekes but my anxiety kicked back in shortly afterwards and it was as if everything i had read just hadnt sunk in not one bit!! im gonna take a look at your link, thanks cathy x

cathycrumble
04-03-12, 20:14
You have to keep reading it over and over again. and trust what she says.

I used to carry it around with me lol.

dovid
04-03-12, 22:30
423 pages lol, your right though - repetition!!

cathycrumble
04-03-12, 22:34
Haha no just the things that may apply to your anxiety xx

dovid
05-03-12, 20:29
thinking of going to see my gp to ask for anxiety medication, i feel sooo bad

cathycrumble
05-03-12, 21:32
And why not? If it helps. I have just started sertraline 11 days ago.

Cathy xx

dovid
05-03-12, 22:01
i feel like i need something, though my CBTherapist is very anti pills and thinks everyone can be cured with CBT. maybe cbt plus pills. im fine one minute and then my mood just suddenly and drastically changes from feeling fine for a short while to getting so anxious and then feeling so crappy, its always been this way with mood changing very quickly. like for example i see my CBTherapist every week and im feeling bit better for like an hour afterwards and more positive until then my anxiety kicks in and its like 'what a waste of a session, and theres no cure for me' im soo negative, cant help it!! she gives me anxiety cycle forms to fill in each week. i once went to a and e at a different hospital to mine when i was in a very bad state and i saw a psychiatrist who said if it was up to him, hed take me off halloperidol and change me to quetiapine but he couldnt, he wernt my doctor. thing is, ive tried valium, it drugs me up soo badly!! plus as well i wake up most mornings feeling anxious stressed. its my anxiety, when i feel ok its shortlived, when i feel bad ive been told i catastrophize but its real to me!

cathycrumble
05-03-12, 22:21
anxiety is a habit we get into and it is just trying to break that habit with positive thoughts but it isn't easy. The claire weeks books explains this.

Cathy xx

dovid
11-03-12, 16:50
i just cant seem to relax, i had a horrible time this afternoon at a mental health social group, no one talked to me, as if i dont exist, i was just sat there on my own hating everyone and then i left half way through and felt so anxious because of it, i even texted my therapist to tell her there is no support and help for people with social anxiety disorder at these social groups etc i was getting so angry that i felt like there was nothing even wrong with the other people there cause they were managing to have a laugh and talk to others, everyone just ignored me, i hated it and wont be going back, i had the same kind of thing on saturday evening at another mental health kind of social group which i hated cause even the staff didnt even say hi to me, i dont understand, because when im there i feel suicidal because of this, and im left thinking to myself that no one cares about me, and its true, my therapist just tells me im catastrophizing all the time. theres no hope for me, i wish someone would understand me and give me pills or sumthing for GAD, SAD and OCD, im desperate ive been like this for years and years