PDA

View Full Version : Just been prescribed Lyrica - a question?

tiddleypom
01-03-12, 11:43
Hi everyone. I wanted to try Lyrica for my anxiety, but after some horrific experiences on SSRIs, I have major anxiety about taking meds (I freak out if I need an aspirin :wacko:) But I've read such good things on here, I thought ok, why not.

But I agreed to go for dinner with my boyfriend and his family on Saturday night and I'm wondering if I should hold off starting on them till after then in case I get bad side effects.

Meeting the bf's family for the first time is nerve racking enough for anyone, then I have the fact that I panic big time in restaurants to deal with. I'm not sure if starting these today would help me cope better with Saturday, or if they'd make things worse till I get over the side effects (and of course, I'm convinced I'm going to get every side effect in the book!)

Any advice?

robinbrum
01-03-12, 12:08
I wouldn't worry too much about the side effects...lyrica has side effects like all other drugs but you're not going to feel ill or have some sort of violent reaction against them. I have experienced nothing like that.
Lyrica really help relax me and deal with situations like you described in your post. With some people they work very quickly, others (like me) take more time.
One word of caution. If you are on the wine Saturday night go easy... lyrica enhances the effects of alcohol so only drink in moderation.
Hope that helps.

tiddleypom
01-03-12, 13:02
Thank you for the advice, that puts my mind at rest a bit. And thanks for the heads up about the wine. I remember the first time I took a Valium then had a couple of glasses of wine - that did not end well! So I'll be very careful.

dan1234
01-03-12, 13:45
Personally I only had mild side effects. Felt a bit tired drunk and spaced out. Much better than the SSRI's.

tiddleypom
02-03-12, 11:43
Thank you. It's good to hear views from someone who didn't take too well to SSRIs. I ended up taking the first one last night and the second one this morning. So far, so good. I feel a little spacey, but nothing I can't handle.