PDA

View Full Version : question for people who take/know about propranolol

randomperson
01-03-12, 17:35
I am prescribed propranolol for social anxiety I can take up to 40mg a day. I work 3 days a week consecutive days, so I take 40mg when I'm working and the other days I only take 10mg as I don't really go out on my days off.

Do i need to be taking the 10mg on my days off? Is there any side effects for only taking it 3 days a week?

thanks

Sabre
01-03-12, 18:13
Hi,
I take 30mg a day (10mg, morning, afternoon, evening) i use it because i have a fast heart rate and get palpitations.
Its properly best to do what your GP as advised, but on some days i done take all mine and i dont get any side effects for missing a dose, also my GP is quite happy for me to stick at 30mg or has also said that i can take as and when needed also if i have a bad day i can take upto 60mg if i feel i need it.
So if you feel like you dont need it then i dont think it will do no harm in not taking it, but like i said prob best to stick what you have been told for now :)

robinbrum
01-03-12, 19:13
Propranolol can be taken PRN - as and when you need it. I don't take it at all unless I get really bad physical symptoms of anxiety ie palpitations. I think you should be fine on the dose you're taking but it would be best to consult with your GP about this.

randomperson
02-03-12, 22:25
OK thanks for the replys.

Propranolol really helps with my blushng. When talking in groups or to attractive women lol, I used to get so red & hot I could feel a vein pumping in my head sometimes but now I never get like that. Sometimes I still feel like im blushing but it doesn't feel as intense as before.

How long can you stay on propranolol? Would a GP have any reason to stop giving you it? Because If I didn't have propranolol I woudn't be able to face going to work.

valleybear
03-03-12, 14:31
I was initially prescribed it for ectopic beats and anixety. I took 60mgm a day for several years but now take 40mgm. ( 20mgm twice a day). I have had them prescribed for many years and the Dr seems happy enough. I don't really vary the dose, but if I take less one day I don't think it will make a lot of difference. If you are fairly new on them I would take them as directed for now (can't do any harm) and ask the Doc next time you see him. G'luck.:)

blueangel
09-03-12, 12:01
Hi there

Propranolol can be taken long term as many people are prescribed it for high blood pressure. It's also prescribed to cut down on migraine attacks, which is why I take it. I've taken it since about 1999 and I'm fine with it.

Connor_cbt
09-03-12, 18:55
I am taking 40mg tablets up to 3x per day as and when required. As mentioned before i have days where i dont take any and others where i take all three. Take as prescribed and see how you get on if you feel you could use a lower/higher dose then have a talk with your GP :)