PDA

View Full Version : HELPPP citalopram withdrawal symptoms!

jessi
01-03-12, 18:43
someone pls help! i want to come off citalopram im on 10mg and im 17, iv been on it for a year and a half (far to long) i really really want to come off it! but im so so scared i will get withdrawal symptoms, iv heard people can get brain zaps! and they can go on for a prolonged period of time?!?!?

pinkdove
01-03-12, 18:47
hi jessi speak to your gp, they will advise you, if it is done slowly, you will be fine, and you are on such a low dose, i reduced cit by 5mg every 4 weeks and was fine.

you can also ask your gp for liquid cit so you can reduce 1-2 mg at a time.

don't worry not everyone has the head zaps, you will be ok xx

ems73
01-03-12, 21:19
Jessie, I've come of anti-depressants twice now and both times did it slowly and hardly had any withdrawal symptoms. I've had the "brain zaps" but they are not as scary as they sound. Just a little buzzy feeling in your head. It's a little weird but not upsetting.

dan1234
01-03-12, 21:30
I went from 40mg to 0mg without any problems so I wouldn't worry at all. Was it your GP who prescribed you citalopram?

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

hi jessi speak to your gp, they will advise you, if it is done slowly, you will be fine, and you are on such a low dose, i reduced cit by 5mg every 4 weeks and was fine.

you can also ask your gp for liquid cit so you can reduce 1-2 mg at a time.

don't worry not everyone has the head zaps, you will be ok xx

Thats a good suggestion actually. Could ask for citalopram drops,

Oral drops, citalopram (as hydrochloride) 40 mg/mL, net price 15 mL = £11.85.

Note 4 drops (8 mg) is equivalent in therapeutic effect to 10-mg tablet
Mix with water, orange juice, or apple juice before taking

Its expensive, and 10mg is hardly a high dose, so your GP might not think its necessary.

jessi
05-03-12, 00:24
thanks for the advice guys.and yes my gp did presribe it. Ems how long did the brain zaps last for???

happy-boy
01-08-12, 09:29
someone pls help! i want to come off citalopram im on 10mg and im 17, iv been on it for a year and a half (far to long) i really really want to come off it! but im so so scared i will get withdrawal symptoms, iv heard people can get brain zaps! and they can go on for a prolonged period of time?!?!?

Hi Jess, I've been on them for about 10 years! I've had 2 serious bouts of depression over the years mainly work-related. I am now retired, (past 2 years) so mood has improved markedly. I was cautious about stopping the tablets, as I didn't want to return to the dark old days, but I think I had to prove to myself, that my illness was due to work, (I was a community psychiatric nurse). I started coming off them 3 weeks ago, gradually reducing the doseage, (no help from GP, didnt seemed to know about half lives etc) Like many others on the net, I too get weird vivid dreams, but I had put that down to the Simvastatin I take, so I'm not sure. The sweating I've always put down to my diabetes, tablet controlled, (my God, it sounds like I'm falling to bits lol), but again, now I'm not sure. A psychiatric Professor I worked with used to say (we worked with the over65s) that for a 1st bout of depression, people should be on the tablets for about 6-12 months. For a 2nd bout, 1- 2 years, and if a 3rd bout of severe occurred, for the rest of their lives. I'm not sure about that, but I appreciate, everyone is different. Touch-wood, I'm not experiencing any major side-effects, that are new or life eaffecting, so my advise to you Jess, is to hang on in there, get support if you can, but try and be positive, I know it can be hard at times, but take it one day at a time, and try and keep yourself occupied, and give yourself a little pat on the back each time you achieve something, no matter how trivial, or even if it was something you used to do easily in the past without having to think about it. Take care. Feel free to e-mail me at any time if you want to.:)

madaxemanb
03-08-12, 16:49
17? omg? Damb, 17 and your still growing, and the doctors are putting you on this evil big pharma stuff?

try 5htp, its very good.

JonoClouds
03-08-12, 17:06
Dear mad

I tried 5HTP, it's completely and totally useless, apart from emptying your bank account.
There is no clinical evidence that it has any benefit for patients.
You are highly critical of what you term "evil big pharma", yet it is likely that you would still expect to be able to use their heart or cancer drugs if the need arose.
Without large corporations, you would have no modern healthcare, no transport, insufficient food, no long-distance telecommunications, and no modern entertainment products of any kind.
In short, you would be living a mediaeval lifestyle, working long hours in the fields and with a life expectancy of less than 40 years.
Oh, and "your" should be "you're" in "your still growing." The first is a possessive pronoun, the second is a contraction of "you are."
Thank you and goodbye.

madaxemanb
03-08-12, 18:48
insufficient food?? I do believe there is insufficient food, and you have to pay extra for so called normal organic food these days.

Just go into tesco and you will see how many chickens are available, on one section you have the poor person chicken.

then the middle range, and then the well off person's chicken, POOR NEED NOT APPLY!!!!

most people, unless you live in a cave that the crap chicken is full of junk and causes cancer and a whole host of other things.

It pretty tuff to not rely on the system totally, unless you can grow you own organic veg etc.

:mad:

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

And also 17, is young, I just don't believe a person at 17 should be pushed to take that, there are better ways for someone that young than messing there brains with chemicals, FDA approved :yahoo:

dont believe everything your told.

Money will always be the first priority, human life second. you must know by know? unless you live in a cave?