PDA

View Full Version : Different makes of Sertraline

ems73
01-03-12, 21:16
This may be a complete co-incidence but today I was just about ready to give up on Sertraline, went to the doctors eventually agreed to taper off over a week, gave me a prescription for a week's tablets. When I got them from the pharmacy (same one I always go to) I noticed they looked different and are made by a different company. Same tablets, different make. Anyway I took one and within 4 hours something kicked in and I feel like it's made a difference. Now it might just be because it's been 4 weeks and suddenly it's been enough time but bit of a co-incidence that it's a different make of Sertraline.

Has anyone had any experience with different makes of a single SSRI having different effects???? I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts as trying to decide whether to stick with it or give up.

LAURA48
02-03-12, 07:47
Hi Ems - I am a great believer in the makes of medicine - when I was on Prozac always had Prozac by Eli Lilly - but one time was given Fluoextine and I noticed a difference (not in a good way) - may be psychological - who knows. I am starting Sertraline this pm make is Actavis - I think? I usually stick to the same pharmacy and even ask them the make I want, eg, Lorazepam - Genus brand? What strength have you been on - mine are 100mg. Keep in touch - Laura

---------- Post added at 07:47 ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 ----------

You need to be on them 4 to 6 weeks - unless making you very ill - imo to start noticing a difference - may be you were not on them long enough?

mikewales
02-03-12, 09:12
They are the same, the have to be by law, and are made by different companies, but the active ingredients are the same as the original ones.

If you had stopped taking them for 4 weeks then I would expect to see them have an effect once you take them.

nicola1980
02-03-12, 09:21
I won't change my brand of meds either as i can notice the difference too and when i went to a different pharmacy to get my script i asked them first what brand they were and when i said id rather take it to my usual pharmacy to get the brand i always have she even agreed with me so to me that says something!! xx

alfredo1
02-03-12, 09:47
I used to notice this too when I was in citalopram. There was definite difference, whether phycological or not!!!

Ems, well that is encouraging. Are you going to stick with the sert now?

I'm a lot brighter today ...taking each day as it comes :D

LAURA48
02-03-12, 10:22
so pleased Alfredo - starting mine tonight - fingers crossed. Laura:)

ems73
02-03-12, 12:42
Still not sure, took another of the different brand today now I'm not sure if I was imagining the improvement. I felt anxious when I woke up again and also had to ring the doctors this morning as want to change doctors as mine was quite impatient and rude when I got upset yesterday. I felt anxiety when doing that, so I don't think I'm there yet but tempted to give it another couple of weeks. Constantly prickly scap - has anyone had that (should post it on Symptoms page) and feel a little bit spaced but still have anxiety.

Pipkin
02-03-12, 12:50
Hi Ems,

I'm on venlafaxine not sertraline so I can't comment specifically but I've been on several brands and have never noticed a difference, though some say they do.

I do get the strange scalp sensation though and have put it down to the side effects.

Pip

MintyFresh
02-03-12, 18:09
For some reason my GP always prescribes branded Lustral for me instead of generic sertraline and after taking both types I can't tell any difference other than the packaging.

haz
02-03-12, 21:58
Yes! My GP makes my prescription out for Lustral so I'm guaranteed the same tablet.

When I first went on Sertraline I was in hospital. The pharmacy changed the brand, think they just use whatever is cheapest, and my side effects got worse.

Yes, they contain the same "active" ingredient, in this case, Sertraline, but they do not necessarily contain the same ingredients. e.g. one of the brands was a blue tablet, so obviously that contained colouring.

I filled out a "Yellow Card" and sent it to the relevant organisation. If you google "Yellow Card scheme" UK it should give you more information.

Haz.

xhyperyogix
03-03-12, 07:43
interesting question..... I've had a month of something I can't remember, then second time went to a diff boots and have 'accord' brand. Intertestingly about the time of the switch the side effects went and also it didn't seem to work any more...... could just be the way it is, or not....Did a bit of ingredients research - my current ones seem to have practically the same ingredients as the 'lustral'. I've just been bumped up to 100mg, so i've been taking two of the accord 50mg ones for the last 3 days until I get a pre-payment cert sorted out. Not noticed any side effects at all, should i have got them again??? anyway, i think siometimes the brands do make a difference.. for example my temazepam has to be teva because they seem to be the only ones that don't add gelatine into it (i'm veggie). I mean why the heck would you need gelatine in a tablet anyway????? So, I've ben known to trawl round 10 chemists in my area asking them what brand they have before finding its teva. one of the pharmacists said to me that all the chemists in an area generally get the same brand all at once, which is why its hard to stick with one. So, far with my temaz I know one chemist who seem always to have teva so i always go there. but hmmm, suppose they don't do the best one of sert???? this could get complecated....????

anyway, what is anyone's preferred generic sertraline????? I'll go try find those ones for the 100mg... or maybe I should keep with accord as thier ingredien ts seem so similar to lustral......

ops massive long post = sorry!!!! xxxxx

good luck everyone.

LAURA48
03-03-12, 07:55
Hi Yogi - know what you mean with brands - currently first night of Sertraline 100mg by Actavis (made in Barnstaple Devon) and my Lorazepam has to be Genus - (think I will take 50mg for one week) they easily break in half - hope you are getting on ok with them. Laura x

So nervous re side effects (seemed more anxious this am hence 50mg - ease in gently!)

ems73
03-03-12, 08:04
interesting responses, thanks Yogi, I now think I'm definitely better with thsi new brand which is called Accord. Absolutely no side effects ! They've gone! and it seems to have kicked in more. Has made me definitely want to continue with Sertraline for a bit and see how it goes. Think I may go and see the Pharmacist today and see if I can continue getting the Accord brand.

xhyperyogix
03-03-12, 12:38
just got back from the pharmacy that doesn't laugh at me when i ask for teva temaz coz of gelatine (they like me i think coz they are veggie for religious reasons!!). he said i can ask him any time for the teva ones, and he also checked the sert for me. This time I have Bristol (which i think was the ones I had in the first month, so i know they work, but I did have a few side effects, nothing that bad though). They have handy days printed on them so you can't get confused as to whether you took it or not (sad to say it has actually happened to me a few times with the accord ones and i have probably taken two a few times lol!!!). Anyway, yes no SE with accord, but I needed more coz it didn't get rid of the dep. So, tomorrow I'll start with the Bristol 100mg and then see what the difference is if any... But it's good to know that you are allowed to request a brand from a pharmacy - maybe not somewhere like boots, but like my small family run nice one!!

ingredients of bristol labs: calcium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous, microcrystalline cellulose, hypromellose, magnesium stearate, hydroxyproplcellulose, macrogol, polysorbate-80, sodium starch glycollate type A, titanuim dioxide.

ingredients of accord: cellulose microcrystalline, sodium starch glycolate type A, hydroxypropylcellulose, calcium hydrogen phosphate dihydrate, magnesium stearate, hypromellose, macrogol 400, polysorbate 80, titanium dioxise.

ingredients of lustral:
Silica, colloidal anhydrous
Cellulose, microcrystalline
Croscarmellose sodium
Copovidone
Lactose monohydrate
Magnesium stearate
Hypromellose
Hydroxypropylcellulose
Macrogol
Titanium dioxide (E 171)

So, I'm not sure what any of this proves apart from i don't know what the heck any of these 'other ingredients' are and my pharmacists said they are suitable for vegans ha ha!!!!

the generics are pretty much the same, so i guess it shouldn't matter. But I'll report back tomorrow......

PS the side effects and info leaflet for bristol is less scary than the one for accord.. accord says do not drink alcohol, and bristol doesn't even mention it!!! these companies are odd.

xxxxxxxxxx

---------- Post added at 12:38 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

ps ha ha laura, we can be sert and benzo mates lol!!!!! xxxx

ems73
03-03-12, 14:15
interesting, the accord is better for me and I'm definitely going to request that brand in future, good that you have a sympathetic understanding pharmacist Yogi. It was Bristol that I had before so maybe they are the 2 most common brands.

azzzaoo6
02-09-15, 23:54
that is uncanny i am the same i love accord sertraline . i keep getting medreich brand /or
aurobindo crap

Sunflower2
03-09-15, 18:16
I am currently hunting for Accord sertraline but no one seems to stock it at the moment.. They say it's discontinued but I called the company and its not. The person St Accord said you can get your pharmacy to order it from their stockists if no local suppliers get it.

I also got medreich but refused to change brands. I have a bit of a phobia with medication so I am not changing brands if I can help it!

azzzaoo6
04-02-16, 15:52
hi i have the same problem i love accord sertraline did u manage to get your chemist to order it :D