PDA

View Full Version : sleeping 16hrs a day... need advice

panicface
04-03-12, 08:36
hey there...

long time sufferer of anxiety attacks and palpitations. the palps come in 'bad spurts' lasting a few months at a time and vanish. right now i have them, but to be honest i just don't care - everytime it starts palping i just lay there and wonder (distantly) if this is the end, and i can't say i'd be all that sad.

my problem now is SLEEP and energy...

i've got a lot of good stuff in my life right now, i'm 38yo man, nice house, good freelance work available, art to do, stuff to keep me busy. only downer is that i'm too heavy (i.e. fat - 210 pounds for 5'10") and i don't like looking like a human hamburger...

since i was a kid i always sleep alot, and i have vivid dreams, when i got older i would go through phases where i could sleep 12hrs a day for a week or two. when i got in my 30's i found i spend most of my waking days in bed (working on computer, watching TV, listening to audio books) - but now i can and do sleep 16 - 18hrs a day, day after day after day for weeks - sometimes months...

i wake up around 4pm and stay awake till 10 or midnight then fall back to sleep again... i have energy when i'm awake but it's quickly depleted.. i usually do some computer work or go out drinking.

it's really ruining my life. for some of my clients i can just do a few min of work each day, answer some emails to keep them happy - but i sit at the computer and can't even type out the email.. i just want to lay in the bed, if i could only lay down i think, i just want to sleep and sleep....

when i wake up i feel like things aren't real, i'm not real, the life around me is meaningless, the people i come into contact with look plastic to me, it's always about them and never about me.

i'm tired of being tired - i went through a battery of tests including thyroid 3 months ago at a great hospital - everything checked out normal... i take multivitamins daily, if i'm feeling good i'll do bouts on the elliptical trainer (but then immediately sleep).

sometimes i wake up and a little manic - will play music too loud, drink, have sex etc... i compulsively eat snacks and then puke them up all the time.

anyone else know what this could be?

thanks...

PanchoGoz
04-03-12, 11:14
You might want to see a doctor, you could have something similar to chronic fatigue. Not making diagnoses, so see doctor.
If you've already been checked for this, have you tried getting up and going to bed at a set time and normalizing your daytime routine? As you are freelance, maybe the lack of routine does not sit well with you?