PDA

View Full Version : Intro

yoxi
04-03-12, 18:01
Hi, I'm new here. I've recently been given a 'provisional' diagnosis of Long-Term PTSD by an assessor from the Devon Depression & Anxiety Service. They now want me to have further assessment from the local Psychological Therapy team, because I have a complex history of trauma.

I've been dealing with this for most of my life (I'm 49 now) since being abused by both parents as a child. It's recently become a lot more unmanageable, since I finally let my main shields down and began a gender transition I've been putting off since I was 23. Oh, and I got beaten up by 6 teenagers a few years ago. It's a heady cocktail :).

I'm currently unable to work, and taking propranolol to keep me from crawling up the wall, and waiting for this 'further assessment' so that I can get some concrete support in working with the PTSD symptoms - which are largely to do with hypervigilance and related IBS. Irrational fear, several times on a daily basis. Fortunately, I have confidence in the ability of the brain to be retrained (I've been a Buddhist for 21 years) but I can't do it without help, so I'm waiting for that to kick in. They're probably going to start with CBT and work their way up...

Meanwhile, my girlfriend just broke up with me, after several months of us trying to survive my PTSD. Score another one for my parents.

swgrl09
06-03-12, 19:40
Hey, welcome! It sounds like you have been through it all and then some. It's great that you are here and that you are getting the help you need. I also applaud you for going through with the gender transition. You are very brave and obviously a very strong person. Hold onto that strength when it gets tough. You've got it for a reason.

I hope things go well with therapy for you, keep us posted!

Mountainclimber
06-03-12, 19:44
:welcome: TO YOU, WERE ALL FRIENDS HERE, SO YOU HAVE JUST FOUND LOTS OF NEW FRIENDS TO HELP YA. STAY POSITIVE