PDA

View Full Version : can i be sacked for calling in sick?

GirlAfraid23
04-03-12, 20:41
Ok so tonight I'm feeling terribly ill. Think I've caught the flu, im achy, sweating and shivering with a chesty cough.
My manager is not good with people calling in sick, i once called in with a fever last year and he said unless you're on your way to hospital you had better be there. So I had to drag myself in. Ive been there a year and a month ish and so far have had 5 or 6 days off. The thing that makes it worse is the fact I called in sick two weeks ago with a chest/sinus infection and bad cough. I never got the cough properly sorted and have been non stop since so think my immune system is especially low because of it. There was blood in my mucus too.
What do you think about calling in sick tomorrow? I really don't want to be sacked.

Recsense
04-03-12, 20:51
I am a recruitment consultant so I understand recruitment law. You are entitled to call in and tell them you are not fit for work, if I was you I would get a doctors note to support it regardless of how long you think you might be off work. Explain to your boss if she says anything that you are suffering from what you had before due to rushing back out of loyalty to he and the company and not fully recovering, it has not worked and now you realize you must recover before you return. Say you hope it will not be too long, tell her you are going to the doctors immediately as you don't want it to interfere with work as much as possible and if she then has an issue, she is a heartless bitch and you are best being sacked and suing for unlawful dismissal.

Just my opinion.

GirlAfraid23
04-03-12, 21:07
I am a recruitment consultant so I understand recruitment law. You are entitled to call in and tell them you are not fit for work, if I was you I would get a doctors note to support it regardless of how long you think you might be off work. Explain to your boss if she says anything that you are suffering from what you had before due to rushing back out of loyalty to he and the company and not fully recovering, it has not worked and now you realize you must recover before you return. Say you hope it will not be too long, tell her you are going to the doctors immediately as you don't want it to interfere with work as much as possible and if she then has an issue, she is a heartless bitch and you are best being sacked and suing for unlawful dismissal.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for that.
I'm so anxious he will be upset with me or give me a hard time when I call like last time.
If he does ask me to come in what should I say?
Everytime I get up I feel dizzy, its not at all good.
I can try to get a docs appointment and note, do you think I. should tell him that over the phone?

ShelleE
04-03-12, 21:30
I worked for someone like that over 12 years ago and still feel guilty for calling in sick now. I work in HR so no that cannot sack you for calling in sick. You should check to see what your sickness policy says, for sick pay etc. You can self-cert for the first 7 days and get a dr's cert for anything longer.

Please do not feel bad about calling in sick if you are really poorly, you need the time off to recover and will be no good to anyone if you go into work. They are just bullying you to be honest and if your manager makes life difficult you should take it up with his boss!

Abarth
04-03-12, 21:40
Hi there
Short answer is ' yes, but........'
Unless an employer has followed a proper process i.e written and final written warnings, then a dismissal is likely to be considered unfair and I would suggest in this instance unlikely. You do of course need to be a directly employed member of staff and have served a qualifying period of one year in order to pursue a complaint. It is difficult to comment without knowing the full details/frequency of absence (6-7 days is not a huge amount, but if they have occurred over 6-7 separate spells.....) but in any event I am not convinced that this is a decision you should be contemplating tonight. Tomorrow you either will or will not be fit to attend work, and it is at that point you need to decide. I'm being quite frank as one's employment is a serious issue in the current climate and you want to avoid needless attention if at all possible. If your employer is as awful as you suggest, then buy the time to exit on your own terms, not be pushed out for some spurious, yet avoidable reason. Employment litigation is a last resort. I can tell you that it does not come without significant personal sacrifice, it can be costly if you seek representation and is not conducive to that all important reference etc etc That is not to say that it doesn't have its time and place and is occasionally unavoidable; rather that it is not easy. Point is, if you have influenza, you will not be able to get into work and will likely be off for more than a few days. If you feel a bit rough ( not flu), then going into work is unlikely to affect your recovery/make you worse. Other than prescribed conditions, there are relatively few 'general malaise' conditions that absolutely stop you going to work/render you incapacitated for just one day. Don't get me wrong, I would not wish to downplay your illness/symptoms, but the general rule of thumb above is a safe one. If you think you can get through it, I would try to go in. Stay away if you are genuinely incapacitated or if it is likely that going out will make your condition worse or be a hazard to others. Be honest with your employer, but try to avoid conflict if you are able.
Try not to worry about what will be and listen to your body tomorrow. Hot bath, warm drink and an early night without worrying will give you the best chance.
I hope you feel better soon and good luck.
Ant
P.s happy to take a pm if you require clarification.

GirlAfraid23
04-03-12, 21:54
Thanks for peoples advice.
I'm thinking back and I believe it has only been 4 days and 2 times when I dragged myself in and got sent home for being so ill.
I haven't yet had any written or verbal warnings and in my last review my manager said I was getting 'better' with my attendance records.

The main thing I'm worried about is getting a bad reference for my next employment as I'm going onto teach in September (so leaving anyway)

Abarth
04-03-12, 22:20
Hi Again. Honestly, that's not a bad record at all. See how you feel tomorrow, either way, i'm sure you'll be safe with your employment. If you do have to call in ill, just say it as it is; don't get into long/complex explanations and justifications. It is okay to say ' I'm sorry, but I am suffering with XYZ, I barely have the strength to move and I'm just too ill to attend work. I will keep you advised'. That should suffice. If they ask 'how long', just say 'within the shortest time possible' or words to that effect. Just be aware how it might be perceived if you then pitch up the following day looking ok!
Don't worry, given your record, i'm sure you will be ok.
Take care
Ant

GirlAfraid23
05-03-12, 10:19
Ok so I'm still very ill this morning and called in, they didn't sound impressed but im hoping he won't call me in for a meeting. When im back :(

Recsense
05-03-12, 11:46
sometimes they do a return to work interview, it is nothing to worry about, it is proper procedure in most companies. I would ensure you are fully well before you return though as lots of short bursts of sickness can look bad, but your current record looks pretty average, so I wouldn't worry. Concentrate on getting better.