PDA

View Full Version : im really worried...

Jen84
07-05-04, 21:21
i feel like im becoming agoraphobic, i dont know what to do! its not like i dont want to go out because i hate just sitting at home but everytime i try to do something even just goin to the shops i panic really badly. Its got worse and worse lately. my doc thinks i have just got totally stressed out and this is my way of dealing with it! he said to chill out for 2 weeks and i should start to feel better! will I?? he doesnt want to put me on anti-depressants and im doin a CBT computer course beating the blues!anyone tried it? Im tense even at home at the moment! i feel like im losing it!
Sorry abit much info there
Jenny x

sadie
07-05-04, 22:21
Hi Jenny,

Firstly your not losing it so get that thought right out of your head. We have all felt like you at some point with our anxiety but the quicker you get a hold of it the less likely it is that you will come agoraphobic.

I do remember that when I first started getting panic attacks I was scared of everything...being alone, of dying, going out myself etc..etc.. But I forced myself to keep going no matter how bad it felt because I didnt want to lose my sense of freedom. It was hard at times, I rememebr feeling many times that I would pass out etc in the street but ofcourse I never did and neither will you and even if you did, its not that bad as there will always be someone there close by to help!

I think you need to understand whats happening to you and what casues the different symptoms with anxiety etc. Therefore, my advice to you is to read as much information you can on anxiety and panic attacks on the home page of this website and this should help you understand better on what is happening to you. The more information you have the better as its the unknowing whats happening to you which adds more fear, I think anyway.

What always to remember anxiety is not pleasant but it wont harm you in anyway, its just caused by over sensitive nerves due to too much stress and anxiety. Maybe you need to address the stress in your life at present to help stop the panic attacks, thats what I have had to do.

Make sure you are taking a good mulitivitamin and try and eat healthy to keep you well. Any for of relaxation is good for you when you are suffering anxiety too, maybe try yoga or some deep breathing etc both are good. Keep on with your CBT training as that too should help you and dont hesitate to visit your GP agin if you feel you are not coping too well as that is what they are there for.

Hope this has helped a bit.

sadie

sarah
08-05-04, 14:50
Hiya Jenny

Just to add a little on from sadie's post.

I started avoiding things and did become agoraphobic. I didnt want this to happen as I too used to love going out, but I hid indoors as a way of coping - boy was that the wrong thing to do..its taken me the best part of a year to get where I am now (which is pretty much going anywhere but still feeling anxious about it).

My advice...dont avoid things, keep up your course and do it..nip it in the bud before you get as far as I did.

Email me if you want to and I will try to help you all I can :)

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Jen84
08-05-04, 17:08
thank you both for replying and giving ur advice!
i will continue to work hard to feel better! its just so annoying cos i will fine until i have to go into places. But i feel now is the time to start pushing myself to do things,just little steps at a time!
Thanks again
Jenny xx

nomorepanic
08-05-04, 17:57
Hi jen

Like you I became agoraphobic for a time and found it hard to push myself into going out.

Here is just one extract from "My story" about one such episode ...

"I remember one specific incident that I will never forget. I had to go to the doctors and the car was still being repaired after the accident, so I had to walk. I was a bit apprehensive but desperate to see the doctor so off I went. I got half way there and I suddenly had an overwhelming sense of panic and fear. I just wanted to back home and safe. I was literally frozen on the spot and didn't know whether to go home or to the doctors for help. I managed to find a wall and drag myself along it to a phone box and called my partner. I begged him to leave work and come and get me (I am sure his boss wasn't too impressed) but he did and by the time he got there I was a shaking wreck. He took me on to the doctors but I have never felt so scared of being alone and outside since then."

It was hard work motivating myself to leave the house but I had to go to work so I managed to get to work and back home and that was it. Going to the shops was a definite "No-no"!

I can't really remember how I started going out again - I think Alex may have dragged me out and I suppose I forced myself cos I wanted to be normal (whatever that is).

The doctor may be right about the chilling out - that is just what I need too. Some "me" time and then maybe you will start to feel a little better.

Try and go out each day - even if it is just a short walk down the road and back. Don't push yourself into shopping if you don't feel up to it but please try and do something each day that gets you out the house.

Take care and let us know how you get on.

Nicola

Meg
08-05-04, 18:19
Jen - take it in manageable steps.

Don't fele oyu have to go to the shops rigt away. Just go and do something you know you can do but stay there longer then you usually would and don't rush back.

Then go somewhere that does worry you but go in do one task and remove yourself , the next day go and stay longer .

The key is doing it often ( daily )with little increments ..so you build up the 'its ok' habit in your brain

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

imported_n/a
08-05-04, 19:21
hi jenny,,please try not to avoid the panic sensations i know its easy to say but the longer you avoid them the harder it will be for you,,i started to avoid places where i had an attack and now for the last few years i can only get about 2-3 miles from my home due to avoidence,,so if you keep with us on this site we will help and guide and advise you anytime you would like a atalk compare probs ,,e-mail me ok,,i am now on the road to recovery only due to this site ,,ok jennyxxdarrenxx

Jen84
08-05-04, 22:03
You are all so lovely for taking time to reply.

I actually feel abit better today, more positive! i painted my room last week (to keep myself busy and distracted)and im really proud of it! tomorrow im goin to the cinema with my mum as part of a task for CBT im nervous but i want to do it!
I think the 'me' time has been good i know now i dont want to be at home all the time (im bored)!and ive been able to relax and just think about what i want from life!
its going to be hard the next few weeks but i have to keep my head up!

Nicola-i read ur post in the other forum about being down i hope ur ok and feeling abit better!u do an amazing job with this site but remember to keep urself happy too!(dance around ur living room to Beyonce it always makes me feel better)hehe!
Jennyxx