PDA

View Full Version : In shock a bit

ewood79
05-03-12, 02:40
Ok so guys I thought I would just quickly share this as its a familiar place for me .... Well my day started off well except for when visiting a place for work..... A lady with a known heart condition collapses in front of us with a stroke or cardiac arrest..... So after calling an ambulance , instructing CPR etc, watching the ambulance people do their work, then carting the lady off what do you think happens..... Boom PANIC.... Heart was racing etc, palps, I was so scared I was like wanting the Ambos to check me out.... Funny now I think of it but I was like horrible.....

I took a Xanax I had in my wallet for just in case! I'm
Glad I did....

I feel ok now but yeah bit shook up..... Is it normal for someone with health anxiety and worries to feel a bit shaken up..... I had to get out of the room I was kind of picturing myself there......

It's one of the things I've feared seeing or being involved in.... Sorry for the rant!

Cheers Jarrod

Joelle
05-03-12, 02:59
I think it was a very normal reaction....I can"t even watch medical shows on TV anymore without going into a panic.

Just try to seperate yourself from the situation and that it wasn't happening to you and good you had some medication to calm you down..it is needed at times for sure.

ewood79
05-03-12, 04:38
Yeah that's what I tried to do.....I calmed myself down after 10 minutes... The Xanax helped but yeah I pictured myself and other family in the same situation etc... Not a good thing to see when you have health anxiety issues even though you have been given the all clear etc etc...

Thanks for the reply....:)

flossie
05-03-12, 08:47
I would say that is a normal reaction for anyone regardless of whether they have anxiety problems or not. You witnessed a distressing situation that makes all of us feel vulnerable and go into a degree of shock.
You did good with a horrible experience. Well done.

ewood79
05-03-12, 08:50
Thanks everyone, turns out she had a massive stroke an bleed on the brain... She's on life support etc and not good at all.... Feel weird as I was the last person to kind of talk to her etc...

Pipkin
05-03-12, 09:01
Jarrod,

I think you did really well - that situation would be enough to make anyone panic. It's the scenario that none of us wants to face.

Take care

Pip x

ewood79
05-03-12, 22:57
Thanks Pip.... It's just made me feel a bit blah that all but people I've spoken too say they would be they same way! And I guess because I'm anxious it's a bit more enhanced?

cheryl foster
06-03-12, 10:50
i agree with flossie, weather we have anxiety or not its a shock..but..when we do have anxiety, it feels ten times worse. i once saw a child run in front of a car..it shook me up..and my anxiety hit the roof. you will feel better as days go by.:hugs:

macc noodle
06-03-12, 10:53
Hey Ewood, I guess that it was a "normal" response even for someone not suffering HA.

Well done you for staying the course and being of assistance - massively well done :yesyes:

As my CBT therapist would say "that is an excellent step in the direction of recovery"

Macc Noodle
xx

Joelle
13-03-12, 06:17
I got a scare again tonight when I found a person in our town had a heart attack this morning and is being rushed to the bigger city for treatment. I was doing ok, but when I heard this news it sent me into a panic tonight and I am trying to calm myself down now.

Not sure why we panic at news of another person, but I think it is our own fear that it could happen to us and we fear it.

Hoping he will get treatment and be ok. It just hits close to home when its someone we know in the community. I took some meds and hope I can sleep ok tonight and relax....