PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure

kestral
05-03-12, 17:49
i wonder if any of you have had this happen. i have regular 6 monthly checks of my bp along with my bloods for diabetes.
the thing is, my readings always come out lower with one of the doctors than with any of the others who do the checking. why should this be, i dont think im anymore relaxed with him than any of the others. is his machine faulty or does he do it incorrectly or what, it puzzles me.:huh:

bignik
05-03-12, 18:01
i know there is a thing called white coat syndrome , and it states just the fact your visiting the doctor raises BP , where in the comfort of your own home you would be more comfortable and relaxed.

kestral
05-03-12, 18:04
the checks i have are at the surgery not at home, thats why i dont understand why it happens.

bignik
05-03-12, 18:35
how much of a difference is there if minimal its perhaps just the fact different machines , if 150/110 and 130 / 80 then I would query with the GP, I remember years ago when I had a weight problem the scales in my GP office were as much as a stone out from my ones at home , I queried this and they told me my scales were wrong , so I bought another pair of scales and it turned out it was in fact the GP scales that were wrong. so perhaps your on the right track and its the calibration of their blood pressure monitor thats out

Mountainclimber
05-03-12, 19:11
Yep! white coat syndrome, Dont worry about it, its commmon, Stay positve:yesyes:

cathycrumble
05-03-12, 19:21
I have got that really bad and it is a big problem with me its on my mind constantly I am having CBT for it . JUst wish I knew how I can stop being paralized with nerves when going to have it done, If I knew how to relax all my problems with my nerves would be over. I feel so childish.

Cathy xx:weep:

countrygirl
05-03-12, 21:29
I have a degree in white coat syndrome much to my Gps amusement. In fact last time I was there he had two students with him and he said to me can I take your BP just to show them white coat syndrome.

He started feeling my pulse and within a split second of him putting the stethescope to my arm my pulse went stratospheric, he told them that with a pulse as fast as mine about 145 there was no way my bp would be normal and he did it and it was 158/82, he said this was actually better than he expected.

I did home bps in the summer twice a day for 4 weeks and by end of week one I had totally normal bp but every time they take it as a one off wham my pulse is through the roof, because of this no one takes my bp at surgery but twice a year I do the home 4 week taking it and report back.

jaynehal
05-03-12, 21:52
Mines always high at the docs and low at home it's White coat syndrome, my doc isn't worried about it as I do my own checks about once a month it can be 162/100 in docs which is ridiculous and at home it's 115/61, weird isn't it, your not the only one very common
Jayne x

cathycrumble
05-03-12, 21:54
I just need to put it into perspective and chil over it.

Cathy xx

countrygirl
05-03-12, 22:23
I so agree Cathy. When I first started doing the 4 week home test I was justas bad as at the Drs with racing heart just looking at the machine but after a few days I got my mindset changed to "what the xxxx I don't care" and straight away my bp was normal and my pulse down to 90.

If only I could do this all the time!

cathycrumble
05-03-12, 22:26
yes that is it just say what the f**** lol I have got to get over this I really have.

Cathy xx