PDA

View Full Version : Old poster here - please help with new issue!!

moomin1
06-03-12, 01:55
Hi,

I used to post on here a few years back but haven't done so regularly (or even visited) in the past year or so. I suffered severe depression/anxiety after a prolonged bullying at work which resulted in the bullying being dismissed.

Anyway, I am pleased to say that after about 6-8mths of Citalopram 20mg I haven't suffered any symptoms of either since (other than 'normal' emotions). I am still on meds, but that is due to me not really being brave enough to come off them!! My personal life has changed drastically and I am in a very different place than I was back then.

However, my dad was diagnosed with depression nearly a year ago now, after having suffered panic attacks for many years. The final straw was when he left his partner of ten years (who he got with after him and my mum divorced after 20+years of marriage). He used to be a strong and successfully self employed man for 40 years or so, until now. He seems so destroyed and I am worried sick for him. He is on Cit 20mg after I persuaded him to hound his doc to prescribe him something (he kept going to doc who would tell him to wait for councilling etc but he got to the stage where he told me he felt like he wanted to die). Now, he is better in himself to a certain degree, as in he functions and gets along daily, but he has money worries and could end up homeless due to this and also debts etc incurred in the past when he was with his ex partner. He has already been bankrupt once and there is the possibility he may face custody. He says he feels so lonely on his own in his new rented house, and he often texts me randomly just asking anything. His business has ground to a halt and I feel so desperate for him that I just want to help him in any way. I'm not in a financial situation to do so, and I know that he is such a proud man that it would make him feel wretched if I did anyway.

Luckily, he has my mum and my gran for a bit of support who live close by (they are friends now after many years!). But he tends to say the worrying stuff to me because he knows I have had depression and understand.

I don't know what I am looking for here, but I just needed to say it to someone other than my family members.

Just to mention too - he has been seeing a councillor for the last 6 months and he doesn't feel it's helping any at all.

ewood79
06-03-12, 03:01
It's very natural to feel they way you do when someone close to you goes through something.... We kind of think of ourselves in the same situation etc...

Your doing great.... Stay positive!!!