PDA

View Full Version : diabetes

kestral
06-03-12, 09:17
i was diagnosed as a diabetic a couple of years ago and have been controlling it by diet. my 6 monthly reading at the health centre, 2 months ago was described as very good but these last couple of weeks my morning checks have been in the 6.5-7.4 range. is this still in the good range for a type 2 diabetics?

countrygirl
06-03-12, 14:23
The like you to be between 4-7 in the overnight fasting. YOu are more or less fine and certainly up to 8 they are not going to freak! Also they do the HBA1C test at your 6 mnthly check that tells them the average over past 8 weeks.

Have you changed your diet or level of exercise??? Both these have huge effect on sugar levels obviously.

My husband is insulin dependent type 2 hence my knowing so much:whistles:

Diabetes does worsen over time but usually slowly over years so don't panic if you cannot control it perfectly with diet you may need to start medication.

The ideal diet for type 2 diabetes that is not the one pushed by nhs is to reduce your carbs in all forms ( not atkins diet just lower carbs) as all carbs are turned to sugar in your body. I know somoene who followed the stone age diet that was meat fish eggs butter etc with veggies ( not startchy) and berries and his diabetes went away BUT he said life was not worth living as it was so hard to stick to as you can imagine:scared15:

kestral
06-03-12, 19:08
thanks for the reply. i havent been able to walk the dog for a day or so, would that be enough to increase the readings?

countrygirl
06-03-12, 20:06
Yes any change to your normal routine unless you also alter your diet will affect your blood glucose readings. It is one huge balancing act as you will find out!

If you know you will not get as much exercise one day then you need to reduce your carbs that day ( I assume you know which foods are carb and which not??) all carbs turn to sugar in the body.