PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded Training Day

arnie64
06-03-12, 21:34
Hi there, I have just this minute signed up to nomorepanic, as I need some advice. I suffer from social anxiety in situations where you have to sit and listen to a speaker for hours on end. I get very restless, uncomfortable and just want to run.I also have a feeling like I am going to pass out! I usually avoid these situations at all costs!! However my manager has stressed that this training is mandatory. I have diazepam upstairs that I was previously prescribed, but was too scared to take, instead I pulled sickies to get out of these situations. Can anyone taking diazepam give me any advice as to how long before the training I should take them? and possible side effects?? Would really appreciate any feedback as I am on this training Monday morning and panicking already!!!:weep:
Thanks
arnie64

kittikat
06-03-12, 22:28
Hi Arnie :welcome:
I have taken diaz 2mg on an as & when basis for about 5 yrs (started having panic attacks and had them during various situations including meetings / training days at work). I always had to sit on an end chair near to an exit point just in case I got those awful symptoms and needed to escape!! The dose is very low and if you are that worried you could take one about half an hour before your training to take the 'edge off'. I have had no side effects at all on them they just 'chill you out' a little, you probably wouldn't even notice, you would just be a little more at ease. I had a breakdown in November and I have been on 12mg a day every day since then with no adverse effects, just a little tired lol
Hope this helps. Kitti x

theharvestmouse
07-03-12, 14:22
Arnie I can relate to this, I hate these situations as well, I avoided them for a long time as well. As kitti says, just sit on the end so you feel like you can get out if need be. Also remember its no big deal if you did walk out, oh and take plenty of water to drink.

raquel
26-03-12, 17:13
I really sympathise with you Arnie64, as I used to have this anxiety too, and I still do to a certain degree, as I always have to sit in an aisle seat in a theatre or cinema etc.

The way I handle it is, I think to myself "just 5 or 10 more minutes and then I'll excuse myself and go out for a bit", and then when that time is up, I think "another couple of minutes then I'll go out" etc.

It is no big deal if you do have to go out the room during a speech, after all as far as the speaker and other people are concerned: you could be feeling faint because it's too hot in there; you are a diabetic and need to take your medication; you have a tickly throat and needed a drink; you have a stomach upset and need the loo. And you could always use one of those as an excuse if anyone asked you after the event why you rushed out.