PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline/Dp dr LOOK PLEASE:)

Conorm
07-03-12, 19:26
Hello everyone i havent posted in a short while..

ive had derealization/depersonalization for around 6 months now, ive tried to battle it with no help( as in meds) bit its just not seeming to go without anyhelp any time soon and im in an important stage of my life where i need to be attending sixth form to do my work or ill end up with no job qualifications and it will just all be even worse (if its poss)..

i was prescribed sertraline about 2 weeks ago, i had a good week so didnt bother but it got to saturday and i had this feeling of "im just a pair of eyes" and everything like living, seeing was all new to me like i couldnt see myself it was horrible and i have had it since and its too much... i took sertraline last night and felt sick this morning and face achey nothing i couldnt handle got to school felt very spacey more than norm is this because of the tabs??.. also the kinda "new to life feeling" and "just a pair of eyes" its so weird to be able to see the world ahh does anyone else have this or ever had this with their dr dp... and has any meds ever heleped you overcome DEREALIZATION/Dp

thanks for looking and reading any help will really make me feel more comfitable XX

---------- Post added at 19:26 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Anyone?...

Beyonderz
07-03-12, 19:29
Sertraline is an effective chemical to so many well know and successful medicines. It is advised to use in the morning, after eating breakfast because it can have some effects on stomach (I never had any side effects with sertraline). I am going to start my same old medication in a couple of days.

In today's science, it's the best chemical substance for depression, ocd and anxiety related treatments which doctors recommend a lot. Less side effects (almost none) compared to other medication.

But I recommend you to continue using it because you won't see any good effects before 2-3 weeks. Just don't stop. You will see benefits after a while.
Hope you feel well soon.

Conorm
07-03-12, 19:46
Thanks alot bey... i have the hot flushes, spacey, sick in morning i suppose no usual accept hot face is horrible, i will stay on them but im just hoping i dont get to bad x

Beyonderz
07-03-12, 22:10
I don't think they will get worse. Try not to think about them, and try to focus on other things meanwhile. Even though those are side effects, one always get use to such medicines in 1-2 weeks at most, so no worries.
Feeling better in the end is worth anything :) Hope you feel well soon.

Rhys1879SAFC
08-03-12, 00:46
I have battled with depersonalization for 13 months without medication and have managed to make large strides in ridding myself of it and my anxiety.

I bet you think about feeling unreal every moment you can right?

Distract yourself, do anything to avoid thinking about it, and if you do, then tell yourself that this is not permanent, its just your brain protecting you.

Get into a habit of cancelling out the negative thought with a positive one, thats the best advice I can give you.

Conorm
08-03-12, 15:24
Thanks rhys yes i have been exactly like that

lauz_lea
08-03-12, 22:23
Hi Conor, how are you feeling?

Rhys is right in what he is saying about distraction, and realising that it is not a permanent state, only problem is, once you realise you're having a "normal" moment, you suddenly end up back in a DP/DR state.

Hopefully the sert will help you, I'm not a pill pusher but they've helped me get over DP and DR is the last. For me, DP has always led to DR, which is even more distressing, even more so because it something that I understood at the time and thought I must be the only person in the world suffering with it. At one point, I embraced it as a higher state of awareness and honestly, accepting it helped, I found that fighting it wasn't working, so accepting it was the only thing I could do, as hard as it was.

Keep us posted with how you get on with sert, I've been really worried about you.

Conorm
09-03-12, 13:01
Hey lauz...

I had a good week last week, when i say good i mean i went out alot, still was bad... but on the saturday, i had this feeling like seeing and living was all new, like it was so new to me it scared me, its like now i cant get to grips with how to live, its like i dont like or know how to live in a human body its soo weird.. aghh i need to get my head round that, is that dr dp?

And Thanks for asking, took 3 so far 25mg, feel sick, sore throat, hot flushes ALL day.. but not too extreme, yes it is really hard..

I hope your ok xxx

lauz_lea
10-03-12, 20:37
Hi Conor, yes, it's all DP & DR. DR often develops with DP suffers as our obsessing changes track from one worry to another.

I've been back in the throws of DP for the last 36hrs and I just keep telling myself that this isn't perminent, but it doesn't matter how long you've suffered with it, a day, a week or a year, the feelings of normalily seem just as distant.

I hope you're getting on ok with the meds, keep me posted. Take care x

lauz_lea
11-03-12, 20:24
An update to yesterday - DP all but gone today, lets see what tomorrow brings.

Beyonderz
11-03-12, 21:41
Keep going, keep going! No giving up! Everything will be better :)

It's been 3 days since I started sertraline again and of course I feel slightly similar things, but not too troublesome. It's just, the usual increase in panics, lightheaded feeling and some stomach problems but all will return back to normal in at most 2 weeks.
There will be benefits in the end, so keep going! It's worth it...

I agree with replacing negative thoughts with positive ones but I am not able to do it quite well myself. It's actually very hard. One always has to keep it in mind so it will be easy to apply all the time.

BrightPhoenix
12-03-12, 03:21
Keep going, keep going! No giving up! Everything will be better :)

It's been 3 days since I started sertraline again and of course I feel slightly similar things, but not too troublesome. It's just, the usual increase in panics, lightheaded feeling and some stomach problems but all will return back to normal in at most 2 weeks.
There will be benefits in the end, so keep going! It's worth it...

I agree with replacing negative thoughts with positive ones but I am not able to do it quite well myself. It's actually very hard. One always has to keep it in mind so it will be easy to apply all the time.

Yeah, I just got back on sertraline myself. I keep reminding myself that the lightheadedness/dizziness I feel is because my psychiatrist decided to double my dose so that we can more aggressively combat my anxiety. And yeah, I get quite the runs myself with the sertraline - it's somewhat cleansing. Also been getting increased mini-panics myself and some sleep troubles.

This is the third time I'm back on it, but I need it so I can get my life back together from all this HA myself.

Conorm
12-03-12, 07:54
I hope ur ok lauz, 6 days on my sertraline had the runs, felt sick, headachey, top that off ive got the sorest throat avalible! but im feeling okish! :) xxx

lauz_lea
12-03-12, 08:40
Hi all, looks like the side effects aren't too bad for you all, for me it's my usual meds and mirtazepine that caused the DP this time so I've come off the mirt and reduced the paroxetine.

Got to see my GP this morning but don't really want to add another med to mix just yet, I want to what effects I'm left with once the meds are out of my system.

If I'm still not 100% I may consider asking about sert or cit, but will wait and see.

Conor, glad to read you're ok(ish), that's gotta be better than crap.

Beyonderz
12-03-12, 09:20
Hey Lauz, both my doc and pharmacy guy told me that sertraline is the lightest and most effective substance which is used to heal anxiety/depression related disorders mostly nowadays. I think you can give it a try and discuss it with your doctor.

It's my second time on it, though I started it myself this time without asking doctor because I used it before and know how it goes.
We will see, but this way or that way it is going to be better for us all.

As I told before, lately I am working on directing and replacing my thoughts with positive ones, whenever I feel myself slipping towards panic mode. The medicine alone doesn't do much. One has to struggle to get better also.

Hope you all feel well soon.

Conorm
13-03-12, 18:44
Thanks lauz.. i suppose it is.. and i hope u get sorted.

How did it go/??

and i hope u can replace them beyon x

lauz_lea
13-03-12, 21:37
Hi both - docs was ok, she hasn't prescribed anything else at this point and wants to see how I go until I see her again in two weeks after my sisters wedding. She really wants me off the last 5mg of paroxetine so I didn't take any today - my first day med free in over 4 months.

I'm considering giving sert a try as I've read it is the next most effective to paroxetine. What are the side effects like?

Beyonderz
14-03-12, 11:26
Well I can't say there are specific "side effects" because it differs from person to person. Maybe you will not have any.

I just got a bit more dizzy/lightheaded at first but it's already getting better now (6th day). When I used the same medicine previously, I didn't feel a thing. I just continued using it and there were no side effects.

So maybe you will feel like that also.

lauz_lea
15-03-12, 22:28
Hi both, how's the meds going?

Is your DP any better Conor?

Beyonderz
15-03-12, 23:27
It's going very well. It's my 7th day today and I don't feel dizzy and lightheaded like the first 2-3 days. Though, those were not really bothering effects.

Hope you all are feeling fine also.

cathycrumble
15-03-12, 23:44
Hi sorry to butt in but was wandering beyonderz what dose of sert are you on? I am on 50mg I did go up to 100 after a week but was too anxious so came back down to 50. I have not been too good as still got my anxiety. Just want it to go. I have been on them 21 days.

Have you decided on what you are going to do about meds Lauz?

Cathy xx

Beyonderz
16-03-12, 10:30
Hey Cathy, I'm on 50 mg sertraline but I know from my brother, he went up to 100 mg after a month and he didn't feel any bad effects.

I guess it's just your anxiety. You know, nothing will happen as long as you upgrade it gradually. If it's your 21st day, I think it mustn't be a problem to go up to 100 mg.
Sertraline is a light (compared to others) substance with better effects on anxiety/depression related cases so if you are feeling bothering effects, it's most probably because of your thoughts. It takes around a month or so to see the benefits of the medication. Try not to think about the side effects, and trash the medicine's leaflet right away :)

I am sure it will go well for you all.

cathycrumble
16-03-12, 10:51
Thanks, you are right.

Cathy xx

Mo B
16-03-12, 11:17
Hi Cathy

Well my anxiety levels are not too good at the moment either! Its horrible isnt it? As the sun came out today I thought Id have a walk along the seafront so off i went feeling not too bad--- but walked too far and forgot there was a strong wind. I then had to go back to my car ( against the wind )which was about 3/4 hr away. Now Im back home and feel all hyped up with ringing ears and all!!1 Trying to wind down now with camomile tea and toast. I dont know why my anxiety levels are going up again, prob worrying about the hols !!! How ridiculous is that. Ill try and do the breathing and carry on . Prob watch Loose Women while i have some lunch and then out again later ( for small walk to local shop ) LOL. Hope you have got a handle on your anxiety today. Need to turn off silly thoughts I think. :hugs:

cathycrumble
16-03-12, 11:21
Yes Mo its the thougths and I know anxiety makes everything blown out or proportion but try telling ourselves this.

Are you on sertaline and what dose.

My you did walk a log way from your car. lol.

How long have you been on sert for? I dont know whether to go up to a 100.

Cathy xx

Mo B
16-03-12, 11:41
Am on 50mg of Sertraline (for 4 weeks on Sunday) and doc hasnt said to up it at moment but im seeing her on Monday. I hate meds and if I have to up the dose will probably imagine half the side effects!! I dont feel too happy about upping my dose until after the hols. Ill take some diazepam with me in case of panic but I try to manage without these if I can as I always think they make me worse when they wear off. Silly really as Im only on 2mg.That imagination again!:doh: Have calmed down now a bit, prob from taking my mind off things by typing this message. KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON CATHY

xxxx

Gareth
16-03-12, 11:47
Conorm, stick with it. I've been on them for nearly 5 weeks and I feel like I am only now starting to see some stability. Give it at least 6 weeks before making any decisions about this medication.

cathycrumble
16-03-12, 11:52
Yes it is good we can all conpare notes. I am still anxious so they havnt kicked in for me yet.

I will stay on the 50 I think. it is 22 days for me so not far behind you Mo. Are you still anxious? I have been taking diazipam last week 2mg but I feel not good when they ware off. I havnt got any now so i think that is why I feel anxious again. but I dont like taking them either.

I will take your advice Garath and stick with them.

Cathy xx

Mo B
16-03-12, 12:08
I remember years ago when i was on Citalopram that they took quite a while to completely work. Im trying to tell myself this and its early days really. I started those on 20mg and only upped the dose once but felt horrible so I downed it again and was ok from that point onwards. My husband says I dont seem as much of a basket case as I did last time. lol. When I look back on it it was horrid for weeks before it improved but then was great and had no anxiety (apart for normal anxiety) for years. Nothing really bothered me. Cant believe it now.Id forgotten how hard it was in the beginning. Hubby had to work from home for a few weeks as I was so bad!! SO I keep telling myself that it will all come good in the end as it did before. I am sure it will for you too Cathy:) x Yes I am still anxious especially in the morning- thats hell. As the day goes on it settles a bit and usually feek ok but shattered in the evening.

cathycrumble
16-03-12, 12:21
Mo when I became ill in sep 2010 I went on cit and it took 3 months to kick in but I felt great so great infact I bloody stopped them in the april after 6 months then I crashed went back on them but think I was upping doses too quick anyway they didnt work maybe I didnt give them a chance i then stayed off meds until this xmas and went on prozac and that was bad mistake awful side effects. So now i am on these. please god they work for me.

I got to go now as toing away to my chaps in yorkshire I am from liverpool so got to go get ready but I feel so anxious its hard to get motivated with the waves of fear I get in my body.

Have a nice weekend.

Cathy xx

Mo B
16-03-12, 12:38
Have a good time. Will think about you and wish you well xxx

jimsmrs
16-03-12, 14:05
Know how you feel, how can you feel well in mind when the body is racked with side effects from meds or the shakes from panic or anxiety

I'm from Liverpool too, but live in Scotland

Beyonderz
16-03-12, 16:01
Well Jim, those side effects we actually create them ourselves. Because we "know" that there are possible side effects.

The first time I used sertraline I felt no side effects, maybe I just tried not to think much about them. So you all don't give up and continue using. In the end there are benefits :)

Everything will get better!

lauz_lea
16-03-12, 19:30
Hi all, glad to hear you're all doing well. Is sert and SSRI?