PDA

View Full Version : Worst Panic Attack Ever

kittikat
07-03-12, 22:11
So, I arrive at work today, feeling a little anxious, thats normal. Had my diaz 4mg at 9.30am, by 11, the mother of all panic attacks overwhelms me completley out of the blue. What worries me is this-I have been able to control them fairly well since CBT a few years back, and the odd diaz if needed. But boy, this one came at me with a vengence:mad: I just could not get my breathing right, I had muscle spasms in my hands and I started getting the pins & needles in my face and jaw to the point where it felt like the bottom half of my face was paralised. This I have never experienced before, it was the most frightening experience, I honestly thought I was having a stroke. I have never felt so scared, it was truly distressing, not only for me but my colleagues too. It continued for about 45 minutes and then extreme anxiety followed for over an hour.

What is this 'lockjaw' thing....has anyone else experienced this before? Why did this come at me so angrily when I had been doing so well? I am just so distressed by this and feel that my recovery has been damaged beyond belief.

Thanks for reading. Kitti :wacko:

cathycrumble
07-03-12, 22:22
Kitti I have never had a PA like you are saying but my daughter did it was over her boyfriend at the time. She came home from hols and went on face book to look at pics of the hol and she had packed her boyfriend of 4 years in as he was too layed back. Any how to cut story short the pics showed him on hol with a girl so she was dverstated as he was wanting to get back with her.

Well as sooon as she saw the pics this masive big PA started. she was only 20 at the time shes 23 now. I couldnt belive it as her face became distorted she couldnt speak and her arms and hands went stiff. I was running round shouting get her a brandy lol it was 11 am haha. She has had the one since but she never dwells on it infact she just doesnt think about it. It was scary but we laughed after.

With you it could be to do with the diazipam. They can make me panic a bit but I have only ever took 2 mg. the odd time.

Cathy xx

Ingenious
07-03-12, 22:31
Kitti do you think it would be worth doing your CBT again? If it worked well before then re-doing it might help again. I occasionally do CBT again and am doing mindful meditation continually on a rolling basis (ie. an 8 week course, repeated over and over, to keep it fresh). And please don't beat yourself up about having an attack like this - as odd as this sounds, sometimes these are valuable signs that we do need to revisit or relearn therapies that helped in the past.

The problems with your face may well be related to medication, it would be worth having a Google and look about the net to see if anyone has had similar experiences. It might just be one of those things, it might just be a particularly bad attack which you won't get again.

angel wings
07-03-12, 22:32
hi kitti
sorry to hear of your panic attack today its horrible when they come out of the blue like that i had a bad one like that a little while ago and ended up in a & e i really thought i was having a stroke i had all the symptoms of one they even kept me overnight and did a ct scan but it must have been a panic attack and i dont know why it happened dont let this stop you though as you said you have been doing well and hope you will have a better day tommorrow sending hugs:hugs:

kittikat
07-03-12, 22:41
Thanks for your response Cathy, sorry to hear that your daughter went through this too. But what you describe about the distorted face, being unable to speak, and the hands going stiff, that's what happened to me today and it was so disturbing, I have never experienced it like that before and I guess these 'new' symptoms are what fuelled my fear to the point it did. I don't usually dwell on mine, as I said I have coped really well and always understood what was happening to me. This was a complete new ball game, I don't know how to deal with those symptoms, I just don't have the tools for that. Anyway, I have a GP appt on Monday so will discuss with him re the diaz. It has never given me any problems before though. You did make me laugh about the brandy :roflmao:....I'm afraid I don't drink, but boy I think I needed one today. Thanks so much Cathy xx

haz
07-03-12, 22:46
Poor you!

Did you have to leave work?

Can you think of a trigger? Any underlying issues going on right now that could maybe have subconsciously set you off? Although, it can be pretty hard to work out if it's subconscious!

Try not to let it set you back.

Haz.:hugs:

kittikat
07-03-12, 22:47
hi kitti
sorry to hear of your panic attack today its horrible when they come out of the blue like that i had a bad one like that a little while ago and ended up in a & e i really thought i was having a stroke i had all the symptoms of one they even kept me overnight and did a ct scan but it must have been a panic attack and i dont know why it happened dont let this stop you though as you said you have been doing well and hope you will have a better day tommorrow sending hugs:hugs:

Thank you Angel, it's awful isn't it :weep: I've been there a few years back with the A&E (several times :blush:) I think this one just took the wind out of my sails because of the symptoms I had with stiff hands and jaw, so scarey. I will have a better day tomorrow :shrug: I hope!! Thanks for the hugs, sending some back to you too :hugs:xx

haz
07-03-12, 22:47
P.S. I doubt it was the diazepam if you've been on it a while. x

kittikat
07-03-12, 23:04
Poor you!

Did you have to leave work?

Can you think of a trigger? Any underlying issues going on right now that could maybe have subconsciously set you off? Although, it can be pretty hard to work out if it's subconscious!

Try not to let it set you back.

Haz.:hugs:

Thank you Haz :) yes, they called my partner to come get me, I really was unable to stay, it kind of exhausted me...felt like I had been run over by a bus lol. Can't think of any triggers, although I did have a 'breakdown' in november and returned to work mid January to find none of my work had been covered and I have been on 'catch-up' ever since which I guess is quite stressful. I appreciate your kind words. Kitti xx

---------- Post added at 23:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

Kitti do you think it would be worth doing your CBT again? If it worked well before then re-doing it might help again. I occasionally do CBT again and am doing mindful meditation continually on a rolling basis (ie. an 8 week course, repeated over and over, to keep it fresh). And please don't beat yourself up about having an attack like this - as odd as this sounds, sometimes these are valuable signs that we do need to revisit or relearn therapies that helped in the past.

The problems with your face may well be related to medication, it would be worth having a Google and look about the net to see if anyone has had similar experiences. It might just be one of those things, it might just be a particularly bad attack which you won't get again.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am actually having a telephone assessment with the psychologies team next Tuesday with view to CBT for some agoraphobic symptoms I have develpoed since my breakdown in november. Hopfully it was just a one off :) Kitti x

ewood79
08-03-12, 01:06
Just a quick reply quick reply to say you survived it! Even though you went home don't be too hard on Urself! Keep up the positivity!!! :)

Cheers Jarrod

kittikat
08-03-12, 11:35
Thank you Jarrod :)

JoJoR
08-03-12, 13:27
I had a panic attack years ago where my face began shaking and I couldn't move... I went to hospital for tests as the GP thought I had epilepsy!... I lost my driving license and everything!... I know now that it was a work related panic attack caused by stress in my job, but at the time I didn't think I was even stressed!... You will be fine... I have suffered with depression, anxiety, panic attacks for half my life and I keep going. Its hard some days but you will get through it. My best wishes to you for a calmer day today. :) x

kittikat
08-03-12, 14:15
Thank you JoJoR, your words are really comforting. I have not gone to work today as it really knocked my confidence. Feeling a little better now, onwards & forwards :) All the best to you too xx

JoJoR
09-03-12, 12:00
I think having a day off to help you feel better is fine. I know how it can knock you sideways. I always feel really drained after a panic attack and constant stress is exhausting too. You sound much more positive though and that's great. :)