PDA

View Full Version : Back again, please reassure :(

Sazziesaz
08-03-12, 08:15
Hi, I am back again, I had that horrid lump in the throat feeling for about a month and was convinced I had throat cancer etc. I went to the doctors last week and she felt all my throat and neck and looked in my throat and said that everything was perfectly normal and nothing felt wrong. She said it maybe globus. But to leave my neck alone and stop worrying. She did say if it didn't improve come back in a month.

Well I have been really good all week and it disappeared! I was so happy, but last night it came back with a vengence. Please can someone reassure me that it it was throat cancer or something serious it wouldn't disappear for a week? I really don't want to really start worrying again!!! Hate HA xx

nowwhat
08-03-12, 08:49
Hello, I get this from time to time. The first episode I had, before I understood about HA, was a nightmare. I had a very painful throat, sensation of a lump and difficultly swallowing. As an ex-smoker I was convinced something was really wrong. My GP reassured me that I didn't fit 'the model' for throat cancer (whatever that is!) - but she sent me to ENT at the hospital to get it checked out anyway.

They had a look with a camera and confirmed there was nothing amiss at all. The consultant diagnosed me as having Post Nasal Drip - which is when your secretions are a little thicker than they should be and they irritate the back of your throat.

He also talked to me about Globus Hystericus and general anxiety-induced throat pain. It's an extremely common symptom of anxiety - but I do sympathise as it's very real and therefore very worrying!

I would urge you to try and resist throat and gland prodding - it becomes a vicious circle as those areas are rather sensitive to touch and you can no longer tell what's real and what's prodding-induced!

I hope that helps. :)

pearl79
08-03-12, 09:39
i have post nasal drip and it makes me very hoarsey throated. i also get a lump in my throat cuz of acid....... both made worse by my anxiety!!!!! xxx im 32

jaynehal
08-03-12, 10:25
Hi
I had this for months about two years ago and went to the docs none stop thinking it was everything, it did eventually go when I accepted it wad anxiety but I know exacting how you feel but it will go! Cbt helped me, I'm currently waiting for some more Cbt due to another anxiety symptom.
Love
Jayne x

Sazziesaz
08-03-12, 10:41
Thanks all for your replies and yes I can feel catarrah going dripping down my throat so maybe that is it, but what I am trying to hang on to and hope someone can agree, is that if it was the dreaded throat cancer or similar surely it wouldn't clear up for a week and then come back?? xx

pearl79
08-03-12, 10:50
my friend (male, heavy smoker aged 50) had throat cancer, he said it was beyond painful!! You eaither have constant snot (tmi) running down the back of your nose or acid vapour!!! upleasant but fine!!! chill, ive been thru the same anxiety symptom, thought i had throat cancer... i didnt!!

Beyonderz
08-03-12, 11:04
Hey there, as far as I know a cancerous growth/tissue never goes away and comes back :) They are persistent and they only keep on growing. I think you should really trust your DR. Yours can also be chronic pharyngitis, just like I do have for many years and it feels like something's stuck there.

Throat cancer is one of the most easier to detect cancer types. My dad had it and also his DR told us that throat cancer is a type of cancer which has very very high healing rate and it spreads extremely slow because the blood circulation in that area is a bit different than other body parts (I'm not saying this because I think it's related to your case, so don't take it that way).

So no worries, try to calm and focus on other things. You will feel better.

Sazziesaz
08-03-12, 11:14
That you both, yes I will get my head back into the space it was last week and try and forget it! Thank you so much for your reassurance! Must try and believe myself more! ..xx