PDA

View Full Version : muscle spasms and temporary paralysis

kittikat
08-03-12, 11:49
Has anyone experienced terrifying muscle spasms during a panic attack which led to temporary paralysis and rigidity in hands and lower face/jaw to the point where you think you are actually having a stroke or become permanently damaged because you can't talk or move your mouth? Very frightening.....please advise....never had these symptoms before...major setback occuring.....help!! :wacko:

cathycrumble
08-03-12, 12:47
Kitikat

As I told you my daughter was the same she couldnt even talk but as she relaxed it went away and I think the more you think about it the more you will worry. She just let it go. And she is and has been fine.

Hope this helps.

Cathy xx

kittikat
08-03-12, 14:18
Thanks Cathy....I know what you said is right. Trying to think positive thoughts :)
Kitti xx

sammie
08-03-12, 19:26
hi

this is referd to as a tetanic spasm (hope i spelt this right) completely normal in panic not dangerous but pretty scarey

kittikat
08-03-12, 19:48
hi

this is referd to as a tetanic spasm (hope i spelt this right) completely normal in panic not dangerous but pretty scarey

Thank you so much sammie, I will look it up, it was soo scarey but you made me feel so much better now :) Kitti x

kittikat
12-03-12, 20:50
Spoke to my doctor about this today.....apparently it can happen when you have chronic hyperventilation during a prolonged panic attack, something to do with low CO2 and a drop in the bodys calcium levels and can be a classic and frightening symptom of panic. Usually occurs in hands/arms/face/feet but can affect the whole body....that's me told then....mind at rest...sort of....I hope I never experience it again :scared15: