PDA

View Full Version : acid reflux

gazzington
08-03-12, 12:46
Hi. I seem to get bad heartburn everyday for about a month or two and then it disappears again perhaps for about 3 months. When I get it it it does not seem to matter what I eat and equally in the bouts where I don't get it I can get away with eating anything. When I get it I take renne and xantac at night times. Thing is I start worrying when I get it as I fear send for endoscopy etc. I had medicine from the doctor before which worked fine for a month but when I stopped taking it I had the worst heartburn ever so I don't want to take that again. Does anyone have any suggestions of what could be causing it and what I can do to get rid of it faster? I try eating dgl licorice, slippery elm, aloe vera etc. Should I try a very strict diet until symptoms clear?I just worry about it as soon as I get the first episode that then means that in all reality I am so focused on it that I cant get rid of it.

pearl79
08-03-12, 12:57
did they give you omerprazole??? Thats what i take. i only take it when im really desperate, but my mum takes to before her dinner every single day...
I notice acid reflux is soooo common in anxiety, i would worry... x

gazzington
08-03-12, 13:34
Yeah it was omerprazole which worked great but as soon as I stopped taking it I felt worse. Its just so weird as I can have months free of reflux but then it comes back and can last weeks :(

countrygirl
08-03-12, 17:34
Omeprazole and other acid suppressor drugs when stopped cause rebound acid where the stomach produces more acid than normal for a time so you are actually worse! This only happens if you taken them every day for a length of time but not if you only take then occasionally.

I have a hiatus hernia and have been taking the original acid spressions drugs H2 inhibitors for past 20 years but they are milder than omeprazole.

I find that if I do anything where I bend over then within hours I get terrible heartburn no matter what I take and it also sets off my ectopic heartbeats s the vagus nerve runs across top of stomach.

HOrmones can also affect reflux if you are a woman, mine used to play up the week before my period.