PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts

JM9258
08-03-12, 13:05
Does just letting thoughts flow through your mind help and medication help aswell for intrusive thoughts, I'm just fearing that these thoughts will never go away and my CBT has been delayed till July.

Connor_cbt
08-03-12, 14:15
Intrusive thoughts tend to get worse, the more weight you give to them a bit like that giggle in a quiet church scenario we all know about you focus on the thought then tell yourself you shouldn't be having it etc and create that whole internal dialogue which then increases the potency of the original thought. If you simply acknowledge the thought and move onto something else by doing something different that focuses your attention elsewhere you will avoid all the self recriminations etc that perpetuate the feelings.

In the short time ive used this site there have been a few intrusive thought threads and i think that its very common in varying degrees and can be avoided by occupying your time with something positive like learning a new skill, practising a hobby or exercise.

PanchoGoz
08-03-12, 17:44
I am a CBT fan too. I always have something I can emerse myself in if things in my head get too much. Making music is my thing, and that completely focuses my mind.

theharvestmouse
08-03-12, 22:43
I think about weird thoughts on a daily basis, its another one of the worst symptoms of anxiety in my opinion.

Stormsky
08-03-12, 23:40
Ive overcome intrusive thoughts without meds or cbt.... the reason they effect you so much, is they are the complete opposite of who we are... the more you try and block them, the more they come, ...the more importance you give a thought, the more it lingers......and 95% of what you were thinking about today will be what you think about tomorrow (thats what i read anyway)-
its like if you were told you can think of anything you like but NOT to think of pink elephants, then guaranteed you would think of nothing but pink elephants!
So for me, i had intrusive thoughts of harming family/pets....first time it popped in my head, i felt sick, and neally passed out...scared me to death.... i wouldnt harm a fly, let alone those i love..... the fear we attach to these thoughts, keeps them alive.... i also found every time i picked up a kitchen knife, i get thoughts of killing myself.... what i did is question the validity of the thought, i dont want to die, i dont want to hurt anyone, so this is a false thought, which is kept alive and keeps coming because it was so scary....
Dont block the thoughts, that just gives them more importance... let them in, tell them you dont believe them, your not interested in them, theyre boriing you now, its not who you are...then go do something, distraction is key....
i dont get them anymore, and they dont scare me should they reappear... i just say yeah whatever, not interested, ,,,,they are thoughts, not instructions...