PDA

View Full Version : Got shingles - now the lymph node fear is back!

Aussie11
09-03-12, 15:12
I was doing ok with the health anxiety for a while. I had an abnormal smear test come back and biopsy showed CIN2/3 so had to have Lletz/Leep treatment last week. Strangely enough I've dealt with this bit ok, still worried about the results as have to wait 3 more weeks to get biopsy results following the procedure, but nowhere near as bad as I nearly am about other stuff. Well that was until I developed Shingles this week! I'm only 32 y.o. so a bit worried as to why I would get this, and brought out the old health anxiety fears as apparently people get shingles when they have something wrong with immune system, cancers etc.

The lump in my groin which I've been conscious of for over a year now it's really aching at the moment. It doesn't seem bigger that it was but still firm, doesn't move. It's right on my underwear line, feels sort of like firm tendon, about size of kidney bean. I had it ultrasounded Dec 10 and they said no issues, and various doctors have not even been sure whether it's lymph node or something else. Went to doctor today and he doesn't know what it is but is referring me for another ultrasound.

I guess my question is, if it was cancer or lymphoma in the lymph node, wouldn't I have more symptoms by now since I've noticed the lump so long ago? I just hate the waiting for tests and results!

hallam11
09-03-12, 16:22
Hi Aussie I thought I would just write here - I don't have health anxiety but I know when you get ill it can be pretty scary.
I had shingles when I was 18, I don't think its a illness that mainly affects older people. My doctor said it can lay underlying in your system since chicken pox and will just come out whenever or maybe after an emotional or physical shock or maybe even that you've been rundown. I wouldn't worry too much about it, I know thats easier said than done but just keep it in mind xx

swgrl09
09-03-12, 17:41
Hi, I have a lymph node about the same size in the exact same area and it drives me crazy because I can't stop poking at it. I think it just continually gets irritated because of where it is located ... like if I wear jeans or a belt they hit right where the node is and rub against it. I had a doc tell me it was benign, but I keep thinkin about it, especially when other issues come up too.

I am sure yours is just fine too if you had docs look at it and it is not changing. If it is not growing, it is very very unlikely to be cancerous. Again, heard a statistic when I freaked and googled that 99% of nodes in people under 40 are not cancerous. That helped me a little.

Aussie11
10-03-12, 21:54
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I get the ultrasound appointment soon as just want to know whether the lump in groin is even a lymph node!