PDA

View Full Version : Cipralex and Pregabalin

englishinparis
09-03-12, 22:36
Hi Everyone

I've mustered up the courage to post! This is my first ever post on an online forum - let alone a panic/anxiety related one. I am a 20 year old English student living in Paris. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for over a year. I currently have psychotherapy twice a week, which I know is good for me in the long run, but at present I feel it is exacerbating my symptoms of anxiety etc.

I have been taking 50mg of Pregabalin 3x per day for the last year. However, I recently switched psychiatrists and the new one is taking me off Pregabalin. I have been on 5mg of Cipralex for a week now, and going on 10mg from tomorrow and Im very nervous about the side effects.

First of all, if there's anyone who has experience of Pregabalin withdrawal and Cipralex at the same time, any advice/reassurance would be great.

Also, to all you Cipralex users, I am quite nervous about the drug on its own. Physical symptoms of illness, or even discomfort really increase my anxiety - in particular the gastrointestinal ones - I have a vomit phobia. I'm not really sure what to expect. The past week on 5mg has been bearable but not great. Had a pretty rough stomach the first couple of days, a few headaches and have been feeling nauseas and no appetite for last few days. But the problem is, I'm not sure if these are symptoms of my anxiety or of Cipralex. Are these symptoms going to double in strength when I double the dose of Cipralex?

I'm just pretty apprehensive about this whole experience. It would be really great if there are people on this forum who can identify with me and perhaps offer some support and guidance

Yours faithfully

An Englishman In Paris

haz
09-03-12, 23:45
Hi Englishinparis :welcome:

I have been on Cipralex. Started on 5mg, then increased to 10mg. Like you, I also have emetephobia. I've been on many different meds for anxiety/depression and Cipralex had the least side effects for me. I cross tapered onto them from Seroxat with no significant problems.

Like yourself, I felt nauseous and had some stomach upset in the beginning, but I didn't vomit. Increasing from 5mg to 10mg didn't pose any problems for me personally.

Good luck and I hope they work for you.

Best Wishes

Haz.

englishinparis
10-03-12, 11:36
Dear Haz

Thanks for responding so quickly. Its nice to know that there are people in a similar situation. Its difficult because I get up every morning thinking positively about the new day and then within half an hour I start feeling nauseous and rush to the toilet again. Its pretty debilitating and is starting to knock me down. But I know that all these side effects are temporary and not dangerous.

Thanks for the support

Englishinparis

swiffer61
10-03-12, 11:57
Hiya,

I've also just started Cipralex 5mg since Monday, last. I will begin taking 10mg on Monday, next. I'm also quite nervous about the side effects.

While taking the 5mg I've also noticed that it's been bearable but not great. Felt a tad nauseous, lack of appetite, some headaches and dizziness, and dry mouth. Not sure if these will double in strength when the double dose begins, they probably won't, but do keep us informed how things go for you! I am curious how you will be feeling since we seem to be in the same boat at the moment!

One thing my psychiatrist has said to me is that you must make sure to take your pill at the same time every day, make sure to eat enough (even if you have no appetite, you really must eat!), and if you have dry mouth to suck on sugarfree candies.

Please make sure to eat and keep yourself hydrated! On the third day of taking my 5mg of Cipralex, I had a pretty bad time. I had visited a friend who had left the gas on her stove on for about 20 minutes, had a panic attack since that's one of my biggest fears, and then made the big mistake of not eating enough during the day and drinking too much tea and hot water on an empty stomach. I spent the night feeling incredibly ill and actually ended up vomiting. :weep: Not sure if it was the Cipralex (I don't think it was, I think it was the variety of things mentioned above + taking the meds), but just wanted to warn you to eat!

Oh, and if you have tummy upset, try to drink peppermint tea throughout the day. It's nice and relaxing and should soothe an upset tummy. I have been doing this and I've noticed that I have a little less nausea because of it.

Take care and I hope all goes well for you in the weeks to follow!! :yesyes:

smb25
12-03-12, 20:37
Hi there

I take cipralex, 10mgs now. I have been on it for 12 months. It took a while to settle down, a good 12 weeks really. I had no appetite for a long time so don't worry if that goes on for a while. I used to drink the slimfast shakes as at least they had some balanced nutrients in them. You may find that you can eat more in the evenings (assuming u take ur meds in the am). The effects you are feeling are probably a mixture of both side effects and anxiety, but it WILL get better. When I increased to 10mgs, the effects did increase but only very slightly, probably me more than the meds just knowing I had increased.

I have been on a few AD's in the last 2 years and have to say cipralex is the only one that has really worked for me. The others were either too unbearable side effects or just didn't do the job.

Give it time, sure you will find them a good benefit within a month or so. I know it sounds a long time when you just want to feel better but hang in there, you will.

Keep posting your progress or if you just want some support.

Best wishes :hugs:

englishinparis
15-03-12, 00:09
Hi

Just thought I'd give an update on my progress. Thanks for the replies Swiffer61 and Smb25 - its nice to know that there are people in the same boat as me.

I have been on the Cipralex for almost 2 weeks now. Its going OK I think. I feel like the side effects come and go - so at least they're not a constant source of irritation! Nausea has probably been the main issue. Normally in the mornings and evenings. After eating in the evening I can feel my stomach turning and rumbling. But thanks for your advice, Swiffer61 - I have been drinking lots of peppermint and green tea. You are absolutely right, its very soothing can really help the nausea. I also take Rennie tablets every so often as well - they can be very useful for feeling sick after I have eaten.

I'm not sure if its the Cipralex working already, but its the first time in 2 years that nausea hasn't produced sever anxiety for me. Perhaps because it has been fairly regular occurrence over the last couple of weeks. I suppose its not so terrible. Its not particularly pleasant and I would rather not feel sick but I know its not dangerous and that It'll pass eventually.

Anyway, I'll keep posting my progress every so often. Please keep sending advice/words of encouragement. Not just for my benefit, but for everyone else who is just starting out on this drug.

Thanks all

Englishinparis

ewood79
26-05-12, 22:40
How are you going now English in Paris?

englishinparis
28-05-12, 01:41
Dear Ewood79

Thanks for asking. I havent been on here in a while. But things are really looking up. The side effects took a while to subside but since they have, my anxiety has pretty much disappeared. Im feeling like a new man! The fact that Im feeling better has allowed me to progress with my therapy sessions and Im really getting somewhere with them now. I do not intend to be on cipralex for years to come, but for the time being it is a fantastic way to restore some kind of order in my head.

Anyway, things are on the up, and fingers crossed I will improve even more!

Thanks

Englishinparis

ewood79
30-05-12, 01:58
Great to hear mate, I'm on 20mg and in finding its giving me more head space to work on my therapy as well.... It's seems to be a good drug, it's week 11 for me on 20mg after coming off 60mg of Citalopram.

Cheers

Jarrod