PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety with or without depression and winter

Tero
10-03-12, 13:26
There is a seasonal mood disorder, SAD. See wiki. It is more common in Northern areas. Except Iceland! The study stated they could not measure it there.

Anyway, I was thinking about anxiety, and in my case that means panic. Do people have a seasonal pattern to their panic and anxiety? I do not get depressed myself, but I do admit there is a sort of less active mode in winter. I am exhausted, come home from work and do not want to leave the house. This goes from november to march. Then when the sunnier days come, I immediately become active and want to spend time outdoors.

In my case it also has to do with my main source of panic, driving. So when the days are longer, the driving is easier and I do not need to hurry home to cover all my activities in about 10 hours.

erin31
10-03-12, 16:34
Hi. I have no pattern at all to my panic and anxiety but I do get 'down' in the winter months. Last year we saw very little sun where I live and I noticed a difference to my mood. After a holiday in Austria which involved lots of sun my mood was lifted greatly and remained so for 2 or 3 weeks after the holiday.
I have started using a Sad Lamp (10,000 lux) and I have noticed a difference as far as my energy levels go but only when I am using it for an 50 to 60 minutes per day, every day. If I miss a couple of days or don't use it long enough I notice a dip in energy immediately. I have not noticed a difference to my depression but I came off effexor 12 weeks ago and I really am all over the place emotionally and I think it would be unfair to judge the effects of the lamp on my depression at this time. :)

Tero
10-03-12, 16:57
...50 to 60 minutes per day, every day...

That's a lot of time. Can you do something useful at that time?

erin31
10-03-12, 17:24
It actually isn't that bad hard to do. I put it on while eating breakfast then use the computer or attend to any paper work I have. You could read or watch television while using it if you wanted. I like to use mine first thing in the morning so it increases my energy for the rest of the day and also because if I use it to late in the day I find I cannot sleep. :)

bignik
10-03-12, 17:27
winter always bad for me , even when depressed or not , Im sure its the lack of sunshine :)

tjp
17-03-12, 22:05
Hi, i agree, it always make me feel better when the sun is out. X,:yesyes:

xvolatileheart
19-03-12, 22:45
I was thinking I might have this! My attacks started a couple of months ago, right in the worst part of winter. Today was sunny and I felt better for the first time in weeks. I've always lived in very warm, sunny climates so living in the UK has been difficult. It seems silly but I think it may really be affecting me.