PDA

View Full Version : Not even sure if Citalopram has done anything anymore

theharvestmouse
10-03-12, 20:27
Been on Citalopram for 4 months now, and while I way in a very bad place when I started taking them I seriously don't know if they have made any difference. I honestly believe that everything I have done is because of me and I do not feel that they have done much to ease the anxiety because I still feel anxious.

I still get moments of severe anxiousness, and I'm always on the edge, yet when something good happens it gives me a boost, nothing to do with medication. I also feel better when I have done exercise, (again nothing to do with CIT).

I told my GP that I have not really noticed a change, and that I expected it to be a more noticeable change but she said to give them more time.

In all CIT has not done much to alter my view on medication, (that it does not really do much).

I've done a lot of things to try to combat anxiety, I am going out doing things and facing my fears, and its still hell most of the time, I just thought CIT would take the edge off the anxiety but in truth I barely notice it doing anything.

Just adds to the confusion if anything. I can't really measure how well I am doing, just had a big setback today with suicidal thoughts again, so who the hell knows what is the right thing to do.

nicola1980
10-03-12, 20:31
I perservered with cit for 5 months in the hope it would 'kick' in, i tried various doses but nope if anything it made my anxiety and panic worse, maybe its not the right med for you or you could be on a too high or low dose of it?? xx

cathycrumble
10-03-12, 20:49
I feel a bit like you as I went on cit and it took ages to work about 4 months but I started doing things for myself and as my gp said it could have been myself that got better. The worse thing I did was just stop them cold turkey and I think that made me ill again. with the withdrawals I suffered I have since gone back on them they didnt work then prozac that was the pits and now I have been on sirtralinefor 2 weeks and I just cant tolarate them and I feel because I have been trying all these anti ds for the last couple of months they have prolonged my anxiety. I may be wrong.

Someone posted this and I found it very interesting. I dont know what you think?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-518669/Anti-depressants-taken-thousands-Brits-NOT-work-major-new-study-reveals.html (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-518669/Anti-depressants-taken-thousands-Brits-NOT-work-major-new-study-reveals.html)

Cathy xx

theharvestmouse
10-03-12, 21:05
Thanks, know what you mean, I was on Fluoxetine and found that did nothing as well. Heard people say how Citalopram saved them and helped them a lot but I doubt it does help me. Could do without the added complication this brings to the whole problem of anxiety.

Ingenious
11-03-12, 09:49
theharvestmouse it's good that you're being honest and open with yourself about whether these are helping or not. Because whilst a GP can suggest medication that you can try really it is only you who knows if they're right or not. My own experience of medication is it's so hit and miss - Citalopram didn't work for me and in the end I found it counterproductive so my GP switched me to something else (Mirtazapine) and that in comparison was like a miracle drug.

It could be that your own issues are not going to be solved by medication alone. Have you considered alternatives to tablets - or things you can try while still taking medication? Exercise was hugely effective for me in lifting mood, as was a SAD light during winter. Recently, mindful meditation has totally changed my life by getting to the root causes of my anxiety and depression - the seedling thought processes that spiral out of control - no pill could ever do that.

And if no medication works for you then you're not alone - many people here are on a merry go round of different drugs. But one thing is for certain, something out there will help you and will change your life, be it a tablet, meditation, CBT, other self help, diet, whatever, you just haven't found it yet :)

theharvestmouse
11-03-12, 13:13
I really want to do meditation, I just have not got round to finding the time to go along and try it.

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

How do I know if CIT is working?

nicola1980
11-03-12, 14:21
Believe me you'd know if its working! The first time i took cit it gave me my life back it was fantastic x x

Ingenious
11-03-12, 15:50
I really want to do meditation, I just have not got round to finding the time to go along and try it.

Buy a book and CD. This is what I did (I've no interest in going to a class since I want to do the meditation at times when it suits me - you need to do it daily anyway). Please note that "mindful meditation" is not quite the same as meditation that you might imagine monks doing. It's not about relaxing and clearing your mind although that is a side effect. It's about showing you how your thought processes work and how you as a person are quite separate - and in control - of them. This book and CD is less than £8: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mindfulness-practical-guide-finding-frantic/dp/074995308X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331480862&sr=8-1

theharvestmouse
11-03-12, 15:58
Thanks, but knowing what I am like I will never do it at home, I never do my relaxation techniques either. The only way I will ever do it is by physically going to a place where they help you go through meditation.

I'm looking into it.

Ingenious
11-03-12, 17:35
What I'd suggest then is you keep looking at other alternatives - we are all different with the things we are motivated to do, or stick with, or will work for us. Some people can do self help at home, others, as you say, need the motivation of getting out to a group.

Next time you see your GP also ask for advice on alternative help. Anything is worth trying, even to rule it out, from group therapy to counselling to CBT.

You'll get there :)

theharvestmouse
11-03-12, 18:51
Thanks I will try that, but being quite a negative and pessimistic person it also makes everything seem harder than it actually is.