PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks came back with full force

samtheman
10-03-12, 21:55
I mentioned in another thread about having to go to my partners brothers stag do. It ended in a disaster and with me having 2 panic attacks I've not had a panic attack in about 10 years so feel really shaken at the moment.

I'm very much a country boy, I rarely venture out of my comfort zone, tonight me and my partners father headed into the city to meet up with the groom etc who where on the piss all day, the plan was to go for a meal, I was dreading going with her father anyway, I mean I don't really know the guy and with social anxiety etc, I'd dreaded it all week. But I did it. We arrived in the city centre, people every where, mostly drunk because a rugby match was on, traffic jams everywhere, I'd never seen that many people in the one place to be honest, everywhere you looked people, next thing my stomach started churning, cramps, a bloody diarrhea attack but where the hell was I to go? I am scared shitless of people, excuse the pun let alone drunk people, call me a pussy but I am scared of drunks, of course I kept focusing on this made it worse until my head went light and I had that extreme fear I've not had in ages, heart pounding, I felt like passing out, panic attack. The car wasn't moving because of traffic, I had to jump out, so told him i'd be back in a moment and out I went, didn't have a clue where I was, people as far as the bloody eye could see, disaster. I found a Premier Inn and went in and relieved the situation and made it back to the car, still feeling bloody shaken.

Then we get a phone call, they all fell out and the groom was beaten up and could we take him home, stuck in traffic moving no where I had to get out again and go and try and find him luckly he was near the Premier Inn but again scared bloody shitless up that street, it just seemed bloody lawless, drunks everywhere and not a Police man in site, but got him gathered up and tried to head for home, stuck in traffic, more thinking, more thinking, moving no where fast had another panic attack, I just wanted home but was 40 miles away, all in all I just wanted to cry. I was terrified.

I was never as happy to get home in my life, but as I say feel shaken by these panic attacks, I didn't think my anxiety was that bad but it just goes to show what happens when you push yourself out of your comfort zone and to be honest I don't think I ever want to go out of it again.

Stormsky
10-03-12, 22:08
Sounds like a lot of 'normal' non sufferers would find the situation tonight stressful... and you say your not used to venturing out, so its understandable the discomfort you found yourself in....ive never liked real crowded places, like London, even when i was a 'normal' non sufferer!
I dont think you should let this experience stop you from future ventures though, perhaps start with something less stressy next time though...you cant hide away forever...living half a life is no life at all..... theres so much in the world to go out and see and enjoy.... try not to let this set you back completely...

Ingenious
11-03-12, 09:40
samtheman I think you need to give yourself some large amount of credit for going in the first place. Isn't that the main thing to take from this experience, that you tried? Considering everything you have written, to actually go and do this despite knowing you could be well outside your comfort zone is a clear indication you're a strong person and a fighter. Stormsky is so right, what you describe would have challenged a significant proportion of people who don't consider themselves suffering from any sort of fears.

You'll be shaken up for a bit, but be easy on yourself. You went out there, you came back, you're still alive. Now you know some boundaries of what works for you and what does not. You have a clearer picture of things and areas you might want to look at tackling when you feel strong enough.

samtheman
11-03-12, 09:44
Yes very true guys. Thanks.