PDA

View Full Version : Can't swallow properly?

MaryMac
11-03-12, 14:13
This isn't something that really makes me anxious but more of a general query. As long as I can remember, I've not been able to swallow drinks properly. I see people gulping down water etc, and if I try to do that I just choke! I don't know if it's because I'm so aware of it or if it's an anxiety thing? I know when I get anxious I have trouble swallowing but I struggle with drinks even when Im not anxious. Taking pills is a nightmare. I've looked at the back of my mouth and it seems like one side of the back of my throat is more "tight" looking than the other! Since I looked I've been worrying more, but then I think it would have probably have gotten serious by now but since I've been like this as long as I can remember I kinda just live with it. It's just frustrating! It's as if my windpipe isn't wide enough or something and closes up when I drink. Food isn't a problem though!

pablo22
11-03-12, 14:31
definitely anxiety! at my worst i couldnt eat anything for 2 days cause i couldnt swallow, barely swallow water.. its complete anxiety. these days i just get that lump in ur throat feelings, or like a really tight throat. hope this helps x

joanne30
11-03-12, 15:04
I've had a problem swallowing liquids for a while now. I would love to be able to take long gulps of water, but if I did I'd be frightened of choking on it. I know it is all in my head, and it is'nt a physical thing. It's something that i will just have to learn to live with, unfortunately.

joanne30.

Danii
12-03-12, 21:47
I'm with you on this one. When my anxiety ramps up (its usually about my breathing) I'm fearful of drinking, more so than eating sometimes.

As for your throat seeming tighter on one side, or looking tighter, I also understand. 6 years ago I had my tonsils removed. Because the way the empty spaces healed my uvula is a little off center, pulled to the side by scar tissue. My dr said this is absolutely not a problem, not everyones throats are perfect, and that I didnt have anything to worry about. Your swallow action happens much further down as well.

MaryMac
13-03-12, 10:14
Thanks for the replies. It's just annoying because even though I don't feel anxious sometimes, I just can't take a big gulp of water! Everyone finds it funny, they say I look like a wee bird when I'm just sipping away haha. I think maybe because I'm so aware of it and have been for years it's maybe made it worse? Sometimes I have to sort of swoosh the water round my mouth for a few seconds until the "right moment" to swallow happens! Surely that's not normal? I can only swallow pills if I take them with food rather than water, I find it impossible.