PDA

View Full Version : Swapped to generics and back to Efexor

Munki
12-03-12, 10:04
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice.

I've been on Efexor 75mg for about 6 years and it's always been great for me. Recently, as you're all too aware, doctors have been fobbing us off with cheaper generics which they 'claim' is exactly the same. Firstly, I was put on Venlalic which I tried for a few weeks but felt absolutely terrible. My doctor put me back on Efexor. However, I then saw another doctor who put me back on Venlalic which I again tried to adapt to. Once again I felt terrible anxiety. Really, really awful. THEN...my doctor said he'd put me BACK on Efexor but the pharmacy actually gave me Venlablue!

During all of this time I felt worse anxiety than I'd ever known. Finally now, my doctor has written EFEXOR capsules on my repeat so hopefully I'll be staying on this.

I know they say that generics are all the same but I'm really not convinced. At the moment I'm battling with crippling anxiety and I've even started having mild panic attacks.

What I don't want to do is up my dose or be changed around. I always think to myself that back in the day medication wasn't an option for people so surely we can do it ourselves?

If I stay on the Efexor do you think there is a chance that it might start to equalise again? It's been 2 weeks so far so I'm really praying that they're just having to kick in again. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys :)

dan1234
24-03-12, 09:15
to be honest I think its psychological and that if you were not aware of it, you wouldn't notice any difference.

Pipkin
24-03-12, 10:06
Hi Munki,

There have been quite a few threads about branded vs generic on here and the jury appears to be out as to whether there's a difference.

I've been on Effexor and am now on generic extended release and I can tell no difference at all. I am minded to believe that it's psychological. Either that or some people are far more sensitive to small differences in binding ingredients.

Look at some of the other threads - you might find them useful.

Take care

Pip x

Carys
24-03-12, 11:44
Hiyer,

I have to say I am of the belief that taking generic venlafaxine hydrochloride, as opposed to effexor brand, makes no difference. The same as it makes no difference if you take Teso paracetamol or Superdrug paracetamol.The active ingredient is identical, some of the inactive 'carrier' ingredients might be slightly different though. However, even if there are slight differences in those carrier ingredients, they are very innocuous things which usually cause no problems. I suppose you could have a rare sensitivity or allergy to those carrier ingredients but that would probably show in different ways than a rise in panic attacks. The 'fobbing off' is health authorities trying to save some money out of their stretched reserves, in circumstances where it is not logical to spend extra money on the exact same medication just for the name on the box.

The trouble is here - once you know you are not taking your usual brand it can make you anxious. I know I've been there! Then all the usual panicky feelings can come flooding back. You can then start over-riding the positive effects of the medication by convincing yourself that it is 'not the same', rather like the placebo effect in reverse (if that makes sense?). Being anxious increases symptoms and these can be put down to the medication change rather than the stress of the individual in making the change/believing it is different.

There was a time when I was terrified of taking anything other than effexor. For a few years I would ask the doctor to write a prescription for specifically effexor, as if he didn't I would get a generic version which was cheaper to supply. I tried a generic version once and was convinced that it gave me a bad stomach. :winks: This further increased my belief that the generic and branded versions were different.

Then, I had to change from Effexor as they stopped manufacturing the 37.5 mg short half life version and it threw me into panic and tears for 48 hours. I then checked the ingredient list on-line of the generic I was being offered and the Effexor, they were identical bar one preservative or something, but even that was something that I had in foods anyway. I also asked the same question of the pharmacist, she informed me the active ingredients were, of course, identical. So, I took the generic version....that was a couple of years ago now (I think) and there was no change at all in my mood, mental state or anything physical. I didn't even have the perceived 'bad stomach' which I had had from the generic version before.

If it makes you feel psychologically better to have Effexor then keep getting the doctor to write this on the prescription. You could try doing some of your own research to check out the ingredient list of each version and do a comparison ?

Sorry, none of this helps with your question, but I hope you are feeling a bit better by now ?

Pipkin
24-03-12, 11:48
Great answer Carys!

Pip x

Carys
24-03-12, 11:51
Thanks Pip, you are very kind. I actually re-read it and thought 'oh there we go, unlike Pip, you've used far too many words, when half that number would have done to get the point across' ! :blush::D

alecc
25-03-12, 05:20
I think it is very well possible that the original is better. The generics do not have the same time-released formula. They only contain venlafaxine. But it's not only about venlafaxine it's also about the time-release function. I have see effexor advertisement where they said that only effexor ensures a continual release of venlafaxine.

jet
01-04-12, 20:26
Hi
I am new to this sight. I have been on 225 XL venlafaxine for ten years and had no trouble, my surgery due to cost asked me to try Venlalic 2 weeks ago, for days now my anxiety and depression have been getting gradually worse, also funny electric type feeling , buzzing from time to time in my head. How can I approach my doctor to ask to go back on my original medication, I can not go many more days like this.
Thankyou Jet

Carys
01-04-12, 22:12
MMmm, that is interesting, it appears that the venlalic is the medication that the OP stated caused them problems too. I wonder if it isn't comparable to the the Effexor XL in the way it absorbs and in its half life ?

Hiyer Jet, just tell your doctor it isn't suiting you, I'm sure they can specify Effexor XL on a new prescription for you.

Pipkin
01-04-12, 22:46
Hi there,

Venlalic is the only extended release tablet available, all the other extended releases are capsules like Effexor. I'm on generic extended release capsules but have been on Effexor and didn't notice any difference. It must be the release mechanism and your body will probably adjust to it. If you're getting bad symptoms though, go back to your GP and explain.

Pip x

jet
04-04-12, 08:48
Hi Carry

Thanks for reply. Doctor changed me straight back yesterday, she also thinks it is the release time. Back on my usual 225mg, one 75mg at night the other in the morning, I think we must all react differently to different medications.
Example: I can not take mirtazipine, it took all the use out of my muscles, quite rare but it does happen.

Hope everyone has a good day

Jet

alfredo1
04-04-12, 15:08
oh that's good Jet!

Pipkin
04-04-12, 17:58
Hi Jet,

That's interesting to know and will be useful for future readers of this forum. Let us know how you get on.

Pip

SADnomore
28-03-14, 00:45
Hi, all,
Well, my experience may be chalked up to it simply being early days-new med, but honestly I have to say I have personally noticed an "energized" feeling into the evening now, since being on Effexor vs venlafaxine. I take it with breakfast, as I am one who isn't made drowsy by it, but rather the opposite (at least for wakefulness, if not accomplishments, lol!) Two weeks into start-up, my doc found out I was given the generic and gave me a new scrip to take in for the brand-name Effexor instead, and I've been on it now 6 days. With the generic I felt the energizing effects lasting til about 6 pm and these past number of nights I have felt them lasting longer by a couple of hours at least. Then again, I have meanwhile been going through start-up side effects (none of which would make me want to give up on it and are happily now lifting), but, there you have it. Perhaps the doctor has found that with some patients the time release factor is a bit longer with the name brand, and prefers to have that effect in his treatment?
Good luck in any case! ... Marie