PDA

View Full Version : Throwing things away OCD

phil06
12-03-12, 13:37
I've had this a while I throw food away, clothes, electrical things, drinks..list goes on.

I fear it being poisoned, smelling clothes is a big one I have the usual fears of dirt/mud/urine if any drops get near my clothes I'd have to bin them.

I'm not sure what I can do to fix this. How would therapy deal with it? Is it a case of not throwing away? throwing away less?

At the moment I'm at the stage I'm throwing away things which are not cheap and I can't afford to replace them but due to my OCD I can't use them again for the fear. I feel really ashamed about this. :blush:

Will give an example last week i got a bottle of cola from the shop it was dated April next month so I only drunk about 1/4 of the bottle but I still feared I was ill and got a sore stomach for a few hours in worry until it passed and I beat myself up in my head for actually drinking it. I thew most of the bottle away but I still had anxiety. If I binned it without drinking I'd have felt guilty and there wasn't another shop I could go to near by so I forced myself to try it but still couldn't get over the fear.

skategirl_8
18-03-12, 11:56
I think it depends what type of therapy - there are so many out there! A good program would take it at your pace, whilst still pushing boundaries very slightly, in a supported way each time.

Well done for trying the coca cola though, I think that every time we challenge ourselves it will get easier, it's sooooooo hard though, isn't it? Hang in there xxx

phil06
31-12-13, 20:09
I woke up this morning with a small mark when I went to the toilet so I now have the urge to throw away under wear and trousers. Problem is I couldn't remember what ones it was so I have the urge to throw away all the trousers. And a few weeks ago some under wear smelt like urine after the wash so I've never wore them since?

Anybody else had this worry? :blush:

---------- Post added at 20:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:52 ----------

Anybody? :huh: