PDA

View Full Version : Fed up at work

crumble
12-03-12, 15:44
Not sure if this is the best place to post, but here we go...

There's a girl at work who is the loudest person I have ever known. She shouts when she talks all the time and is at her worst when speaking on the phone - which is a lot. She's incredibly obnoxious and there's no need to talk that loud.

I posted on here a while ago about me being irritable and a reply mentioned that our hearing is more acute when we're anxious... so I don't know if this is partially to blame. But I do know that I'm not the only one that she bothers.

I've complained to the boss and asked if I could wear earphones, but he won't let me. I'm lost as to what to do.

I know this isn't one of the biggest problems someone can face at work, but it's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do... (I am in the middle of looking for a new job anyway... the sooner the better!)

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks folks

Munki
12-03-12, 16:01
Could you ask about moving somewhere else in the office? x

Tia Maria
12-03-12, 16:21
Ask her outright if she knows that she talks very loudly? Then tell her that you have very sensitive hearing and loud noises (and voices) gives you a bad headache. A little fib I know - but it may work!

ZD
12-03-12, 21:59
I m sorry but I m a very blunt person if that was me I would out loud in front of every one ask her if she has considered getting her hearing checked , If she asks why tell her your so loud your driving us to look for new jobs !!!! Lol . Try it Xx

Jamesk
13-03-12, 08:19
I know this isn't one of the biggest problems someone can face at work, but it's driving me crazy and I don't know what to do... (I am in the middle of looking for a new job anyway... the sooner the better!)

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks folks

No suggestions, but just to say I don't think you are over reacting to this at all. I have someone who sits outside my office and she drives me completely mad, constantly having bellowed telephone conversations, and she holds conversations with someone who sits around a corner from her and about 25 feet away, not by getting up and talking to them but by shouting! :mad: It drives me completely mental as I have to try and concentrate and it's like a dripping tap torture.

Anyway I feel marginally better now I have had a rant.:blush:

crumble
13-03-12, 12:56
I m sorry but I m a very blunt person if that was me I would out loud in front of every one ask her if she has considered getting her hearing checked , If she asks why tell her your so loud your driving us to look for new jobs !!!! Lol . Try it Xx

I'm not a blunt person, I suffer from anxiety which holds me back from saying what I really ought to be saying. And I'd worry about what would happen if I did say what I wanted to say.
Plus this girl knows everyone and everyone knows everything about her. Word would soon spread that I'd been victimising her... or other such nonsense.

So you kind of see my inner turmoil :S

blueangel
13-03-12, 13:02
I can sympathise with this - I have to share my (small) office part of the time with someone who has no self-awareness at all. She bellows down the phone, leaves stuff all over the floor and will wander off leaving her chair in the middle of the walkway between our desks (which is only about 3' wide anyway). She also doesn't wash her hair very often and often smells of greasy hair. I've found out that she's probably going to be moving to another office in a couple of months, so I shall be having a party to celebrate!!

crumble
13-03-12, 13:17
No suggestions, but just to say I don't think you are over reacting to this at all. I have someone who sits outside my office and she drives me completely mad, constantly having bellowed telephone conversations, and she holds conversations with someone who sits around a corner from her and about 25 feet away, not by getting up and talking to them but by shouting! :mad: It drives me completely mental as I have to try and concentrate and it's like a dripping tap torture.

Anyway I feel marginally better now I have had a rant.:blush:

Glad to see I'm not alone! Your annoying person sounds just the same. This girl also shouts down our rather large office for no reason. When someone from the other end of our office rings her but she's too busy (usually on facebook), rather than picking up the phone to say she'll ring them back, she will shout down the office to them that she'll ring them back... ?! And I'm not talking just a few desks away. Complete madness!

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Could you ask about moving somewhere else in the office? x

It is an option for me to move desks, but it would have to be on the same floor, which to be honest wouldn't be much of an improvement. You can even hear this girl from downstairs at the entrance to the building when she's on the next floor! :wacko:

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

I meant to ask, does anyone know of any wireless earphones? I know you can get wireless headphones, but they're big bulky things. I'm thinking of something discreet... such a thing may not exist though.

I ask because my boss, so generous that he is, has said that I could wear earplugs... :blush: So I'm thinking if he'd let me wear them, they'd never know I was wearing earphones! Well that's my theory anyway... :wacko: