PDA

View Full Version : please tell me if this is normal or should i be concerned?

eightieschild
12-03-12, 16:48
basically when i get hungry even just a little then my blood sugar seems to drop and make me feel awful. i get sweaty, vision goes funny and feel faint, i also get a huge adrenaline rush and i cant rationalise my thoughts. and this then brings on panic. ive always had it but my panic is coming more and more. my cbt therapist is saying its just panic but its not! its a low blood sugar feeling and can definetly tell the difference. please tell me that other people experience this too........................ x

Stormsky
12-03-12, 17:13
been feeling the same myself today! light headed, weak, heads spinning too... think its food as ive not had much, will see how i feel after i eat in a bit...
also read things wrong, and spell things wrong! thinking earlier perhaps i have a brain tumor, but i dont have health anx, so i am NOT going to start that way of thinking!!

Ingenious
12-03-12, 17:18
If you're saying that when you're hungry you feel faint and your vision goes blurred, that sounds to me like something you need to see your GP about. Go and get it checked out, because even if other people here say they feel the same, it's not something you should be getting every time you get hungry. There are a few very simple tests your doctor can do to rule out any physical problems, for example.

eightieschild
12-03-12, 18:01
I don't know wether its normal, it don't feel normal! :(

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

I've been to docs n had all the tests no diabetes, no thyroid problems, doc trying to say its my normal reaction to hunger.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Owwwww I'm stupidly anxious that something is wrong now that ingenious has said that.

Ingenious
12-03-12, 22:14
If you've been to see your GP then and already had these tests (which wasn't mentioned in your original post) to rule out the obvious like diabetes, and your doctor is not concerned, then that should put your mind at rest, not worry you more.

So don't allow yourself to get as hungry in the first place, maybe keep something sugary handy to nibble on when you start to feel shakey (people with blood sugar issues sometimes keep sugar/jelly beans etc).

But if you're concerned there is more to this then you need to go and see your GP again.

eightieschild
12-03-12, 22:30
Its just my anxiety running wild I think but I do still experience this but I'm gonna have to put it down to being a human!

carefree68
12-03-12, 22:42
Hi eightieschild, I have had the exact same thing in the past to the point i dashed up to my gp and asked for a sugar level test (pin prick test) and of course it was normal. Whe I had these panicky moments it felt exactly like that severe sugar drops, I asume its a huge rush of adrenelin, Im not sure. But it is connected to anxiety/panic. Hope this helps.

eightieschild
12-03-12, 22:55
Thanks carefree, nice to know that other people get it too :) I suffer with health anxiety too so u can imagine how I'm feeling when ingenious says its not normal and go to docs! X x

Tish
13-03-12, 04:38
I suffer badly with low blood sugar and it's much the way you described it.
I get very shaky, weak, headachy and at worst feel faint and snappy if I don't eat immediately.
I've found that the best thing for it is anything with protien so I always keep a snickers bar or peanut m&m's handy (nuts and sugar).
I have to eat protien with every meal (meat, cheese, eggs, fish) to keep me going but I'm still often starving hungry after a couple of hours.

Anxious_gal
13-03-12, 08:06
Happens to me. I always have a snack in my hand bag just in case.
I know with me I tend to eat lots of smaller meals rather than one or two big meals a day .
I think my body is just used to being fed regulary :)

Ingenious
13-03-12, 23:08
Thanks carefree, nice to know that other people get it too :) I suffer with health anxiety too so u can imagine how I'm feeling when ingenious says its not normal and go to docs! X x

You have to understand how impossibly difficult it can be to try and help people in a forum environment because like many people here I am not a doctor. If someone posts up that they feel dizzy and faint and have blurred vision when they are even slightly hungry the common sense and responsible response from anyone is to advise you to see a health professional about your concerns. I'm obviously sorry if that was not what you wanted to hear and simply wanted reassurance - hopefully the other people who have posted have done this for you and you are feeling better about things :yesyes: I'll get my coat ;)

AthousandMilesAway
14-03-12, 10:23
Hello,

I have been viewing this forum for a while but after reading your post I decided it was time to join up.

I get the exact same thing! Although I wish I could tell you this works 100% I believe I have GAD so the feelings never really pass.

I find low blood sugar a real pain and suffer quite a bit. If I am quite hungry (ie before dinner) I can actually start to feel really anxious and depressed, then I eat and the feeling subsides. Usually inbetween breakfast and lunch I get weak shakey and panicy. My ultimate fear is that I will have an experience I have had 4 or 5 times in my life where I go weak floppy hot and pretty much faint, but still concious.

I carry around Glucose tablets so whenever I feel the blood sugar drop I have one and that keeps me going for a bit longer. Also make sure your diet is packed with Protein!! You need a good protein based breakfast and protein based snacks through out the day!

Also look up Idiopathic Hypoglycemia!

I hope this helps

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

..oh one more thing that I am experimenting with at the moment is an exercise called HIIT

Basically, jump on an exercise bike and start peddling slowly for about 30 seconds, then pedal as fast as you possibly can for 20 seconds then go slow again for a minute. Repeat so that you have done the 20 sec burst 3 times, do that each day (less than 5 mins exercise!)

Now I cant remember the science behind it, but it basically improves the rate at which your muscles and body use up sugar and insulin - making your body less prone to sugar crashes

Try it - like I am, and let me know how it goes!