PDA

View Full Version : Help Wanted: Hypochondriacs need only apply!

St3v3n
13-03-12, 08:39
Desperately looking for some advice or the odd word of comfort. I had a bout of what my Dr claimed was gastro about 6 weeks ago. It lasted for about 10 days with all the associated symptoms sickness(no vomiting) running to the toilet,or not going at all, cramping feeling and lots of bloating, After many appointments over the course of a few days I managed to get a full blood screen(all clear)also had a poo exam(all clear) and an abdominal CT scan this also came back all clear. Felt quite good for a few weeks with no symptoms to speak of really, until the other day when it all started off again. One of the Dr's I initially spoke to suggested that rather than cancer as I suspected it was more likely IBS as prior to my first episode I'd been pretty stressed. Although I've suffered from anxiety for years i have never had these symptoms and can't help but feel that the Dr's have missed something. I also have had pain in the middle of my back which as I've been doing a labor intensive job for the last six months isn't really surprising but again I can't help but see some sort of pattern. I've read the info on this site about IBS and it was certainly helpful. But I'd really appreciate some info from someone that may have had a similar experience and can tell me to stop being so silly. Thanks again-:unsure:

pearl79
13-03-12, 10:16
its really really tough to except test results.. i know, i live in doubt of them yet im the one who pushes my doctor to arrange them then i dont believe them when they came back....
I have recently had full bloods, ct scan , ultra sound... all clear yet i still feel some awful cance is rotton me from the inside...
So you are not alone...
If you wanna message me feel free, it may help chatting to someone who understands, as we all do on here!!! xxx

PEARL x

Ps, IBS flare ups are so common with anxiet, as your digestive system slows when you panic xx

St3v3n
13-03-12, 10:37
Thanks Charlene, you know what its like once you get one symptom you end up linking it to all sorts of sensations and before you know it you've got some really nasty disease brewing. First time I've had this sort of thing (usually I'm a "whys my heart beating so fast and has it anything to do with that pain in my arm kind of guy). Do they do much for IBS? or is it just a matter of watching your diet? Thanks again for replying to my post I really appreciate it.:)

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Hi pearl that sounds just like me-I suggested that the Dr test me so that I could draw a line under my symptoms and try move on and now all the initial reassurance and comfort I got from the results has gone.I'm looking for some new all singing all dancing test that will tell me Im okay. I find every time I leave the Dr's I'm questioning whether I should have told him about this pain or this odd sensation I may have had, just in case I've kept some vital piece of information from him. Thanks for the advice ,its a big help talking to someone who has been through it before.:)

pearl79
13-03-12, 10:46
Hi pearl that sounds just like me-I suggested that the Dr test me so that I could draw a line under my symptoms and try move on and now all the initial reassurance and comfort I got from the results has gone.I'm looking for some new all singing all dancing test that will tell me Im okay. I find every time I leave the Dr's I'm questioning whether I should have told him about this pain or this odd sensation I may have had, just in case I've kept some vital piece of information from him. Thanks for the advice ,its a big help talking to someone who has been through it before.:)[/QUOTE]

I think this every doctors visit so dont worry , its all part and parcel HA!! :wacko:...... which is usually 2-3 times a week unfortuanately im so bad that the doc has told me i have to have one appointment every two weeks to off load all my worries.. not allowed to go there any other time, unless its an emergancy, if so i have to ring them first.... and you think your bad xxx :blush:

St3v3n
13-03-12, 11:28
Hi again Pearl-sounds like you're pretty well known at the local surgery too. My visits haven't been cut down yet but I'm sure they're getting fed up with me(I know I am). If it makes you feel better I once choked on some steak and was convinced I had somehow inhaled it into my lungs. Panic ensued which resulted in a trip to my local Er where I ended up getting a chest xray to prove that such a thing was not possible. I have no shame when it comes to anxiety!:D

pearl79
13-03-12, 11:39
haaa i have no shame either, i get so frightened id do anything to know if im ill or not.. even to the point that i chose to go have a anal exam cuz i thought i have a tumor up there ( i laugh now, wasnt then)... awful isnt it xx

St3v3n
13-03-12, 11:59
You are definitely as bad if not worse than me-shall put that last exam on the back burner I think. Take care:D