PDA

View Full Version : I know i am not on my own

Glyn2190
13-03-12, 09:45
:)

Hi my name is Glyn I am a 50 year old male living in Sheffield. I have suffered bouts of anxiety and panic attacks for about 20 years. I have recently been put on 20mg of Citalopram and have been taking them for 3 weeks. I feel worse , several panic attacks a day , hate driving as this increases the chance of having one, really sweaty palms, head rushes making me feel light headed and having to take 2mg of diazepam as the doctor says " when required" ? ... Help feel that i am on the wrong medication

diane07
13-03-12, 09:47
Hi Glyn2190

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

emmat
13-03-12, 09:51
hi glyn , i know it is a horrible feeling isinit . when have u got a review with the doctor ? im on citalopram 40mg my partner says i seem a lot calmer , i also take diazepam , do they help atall ?x

Stormsky
13-03-12, 10:07
Hi Glyn
im no fan of meds.... took them for 9yrs, and didnt make me feel any better to be honest.... im glad to be free of them... powerful drugs that god knows the effects and long term effects on your mind/body.......
but i know it can take some time for them to work ... and also it can take time to find the right med for you, this may not be the right one ...see your gp...

pinkdove
13-03-12, 11:25
hi glyn, citalopram can make you feel worse for the first few weeks before it kicks in, did you start on 20mg ? the usuall starting dose is 10mg for the first 2 weeks, having said that, you are 3 weeks into the meds, and you are nearly there, i would say you should start to feel better within the next week, going from my own experience.

contact your gp if you are still feeling bad, but when they kicked in for me the first time they gave me my life back...really hope they work for you soon, i know how hard it is starting a new med xx

Blade
13-03-12, 12:37
Hi glyn , ive been on 20mg of cit for 4 weeks , i feel worse with the added bonus of some not nice side effects , my doc has today told me to up my dose to 40mg , i am told it takes time . oh and Hi :)

Glyn2190
13-03-12, 13:48
Thank you all for your replies ... very comforting, just gives some light at the end of the tunnel

dominizl
13-03-12, 17:38
Hello, I have no experience with Citalopram, but I always keep at least one pill of Diazepam on me, just in case.. my gp once told me when it's really bad to chew the Diazepam in my mouth to small bits before I swallow. It should work faster, probably quicker digestion? But that's kind of of topic. I just wanted to say hello and that there is ALWAYS light at the end of the tunnel :). Even when we don't see it sometimes..

william wallace
13-03-12, 21:02
In my humble opinion Glyn, Citalopram is among the best anti anxiety meds around. Might take a couple of months to click, but you'll know:welcome:

Pipkin
13-03-12, 21:45
Hi Glyn and :welcome:

Some sound advice from people here. Anti-depressants can take quite a few weeks to kick in and can increase anxiety for a while.

I would stick it out for another couple of weeks by which time you should be feeling better. If not, go back and see your GP who might look at changing your meds.

Good luck

Pip x

Glyn2190
15-03-12, 15:07
Yes ... they do seem to be making me a little less anxious , thanks for the advice

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Thank you