PDA

View Full Version : Throat Cancer worry

Melon1
13-03-12, 15:42
Hi All

On and off since January I have had an irritating dry throat, at times sore and difficult to swallow. I have been constantly worried about it and went to see the doctor about 2 weeks ago who said it looked a bit red but just a virus and it will go soon. As soon as I left, I felt that she did not examine me thoroughly and I worry that as she knows I have HA she did not take me seriously.

Since then, the dryness is still there. I have just had a herbal tea and that has stung my throat. I don't notice it all the time. I just stupidly googled throat cancer and it said that throat cancer symptoms can 'come and go' and you may not feel them all the time!

That has completely freaked me out as the fact that it comes and goes has been keeping me calm as I thought cancer symptoms would be painful all the time.

I had a woodburning stove installed in January and when it is lit, our lounge gets really hot. I have wondered if the dry heat has irritated my throat. My children and my husband seem fine though!?

Please can someone reassure me that I am okay. I am 37 years old, used to smoke, gave up 3 years ago, drink moderately and lead a pretty healthy lifestyle. I am really worried now. :weep:

pearl79
13-03-12, 15:51
hey Melon...

I have a Rayburn wood/coal burner... ive lived in this house for about 9 months and i have noticed this dry stingy throat... sometime my voice goes slightly hoarse others its just dry and sore..

Im so glad you came on here saying this cuz its been at the back of my mind for ages... no one else in my family have it.... but im the only one with HA in my house xxx

Pearl x:flowers:

Melon1
13-03-12, 16:32
Thanks Pearl. I am so worried that I have cancer. It really is my biggest fear. I haven't had the fire on since sunday night and am not going to use it for a long while just to see if the heat is irritating my throat. Am going to have to go to the doctor tomorrow. She must be so sick of seeing me.

I know that anxiety causes symptoms such as a dry or sore throat, but I haven't been feeling particularly anxious lately, until today when I googled!!! I feel hideous with worry again.

Does anyone else have some advice for me. It would be so much appreciated.

Thanks Helen XX

pearl79
13-03-12, 16:37
i have a the cancer fear.... i go through all sorts of scares ... i know its unpleasant... my docs are sick of seeing me xx

swgrl09
13-03-12, 16:57
I have had a dry, scratchy throat since the fall. I went through a fear of throat cancer, but was reassure by a doctor telling me that throat cancer would NOT present as a sore throat. When throat cancer has sore throat as a symptom, it would have loads of other symptoms prior to that. Sore throat is not the first sign of throat cancer.

It turns out for me that indoor allergies were the culprit. Cat, dust, mold, you name it. Maybe you might want to see an allergist if you don't start to feel better come spring when the windows are open and the air isn't so dry. Dry air and winter can be awful on our throats and noses.

Melon1
13-03-12, 17:23
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Throat isn't so much sore, just really dry and scratchy just like yours. What has scared me is on google it said that throat cancer can come and go, so that is what is worrying me so much...

Since I googled it feels worse.... is this because of HA? who know... am fed up with it though...

Beyonderz
13-03-12, 19:33
My dad had throat cancer and he lost his voice at first but it didn't get well quite a long time, unlike the regular voice loss. It was the only symptom he had. Sore throat is not a symptom to throat cancer. Then they went to doctor and then dr noticed tumors deep in his tissues. Doctor said it was hard to detect because of this, normally throat cancer is one of the easier to detect and has higher chance of healing.

So listen to your doctor. They would have noticed it by now, if it was something serious.

Probably your have pharyngitis, which makes scratchy throat and irritating feeling around that area. And it's nothing serious. Just try not to drink acid drinks and too hot/cold drinks.

pearl79
13-03-12, 20:34
beyonderz .. you certainly shouldn't have gone into what your dad had.. I really think you should delete it.. melon shouldn't read it while so scared.. they will try and relate and its as bad a Google x

Beyonderz
13-03-12, 21:08
Isn't it obvious that I'm trying to reassure Melon that's it's not throat cancer? :/
It's true that my dad had it, and I am saying only that sore throat has nothing to do with it to make him/her feel better.

If there is something to delete, I'll leave it to the admin.

Ingenious
13-03-12, 22:19
On and off since January I have had an irritating dry throat

I had a woodburning stove installed in January

I'd say it is highly likely to be the wood burning stove. It could be poor ventilation or the dryer air. See if you improve in the warmer months either when it is on less, or your windows are open more.

Melon1
14-03-12, 11:08
Hi Thanks for all your replies.

Beyonderz... dont worry, I know that your post was intended to help and it did really as I have not lost my voice, which can only be a positive thing.

Pearl, I know that you are looking out for your fellow HA sufferers, so thanks too.

Well, I have just come back from the doctors and she said that it looks a bit sore and my glands are up a bit. This has been going on since Jan, but she said that many viruses recently are sods to get rid of.

I told her my concerns over throat cancer and she said that my symptoms dont fit the bill. She said that it generally affects mostly men over 60 and heavy smokers. I used to smoke but gave up a few years ago. She advised using a Difflam throat spray which I will buy later and if in a few weeks symptoms are still persisting, then she will do some blood tests.

Hopefully, I will feel better by then. She said I need to chill out relax a bit, so no sport for me for a week or so.

I am feeling a bit more positive, but my HA still thinks she may have missed something. I will not use the fire (see if that makes any difference )for a few weeks and try to relax. Will update...

love Helen X

Beyonderz
14-03-12, 11:16
I'm glad to hear you relaxed a bit Melon. I'm sure your throat will feel better soon also.

pearl79
14-03-12, 11:19
I hope her reassurance has helped a bit, i know how hard it is to except docs answers when youve persuaded yourself otherwise for so long... but really try to let her worry about you rather than you worry about you... give your self a little break xxxx :hugs: