PDA

View Full Version : Is this a panic / anxiety attack?

Sarest
13-03-12, 19:10
Hello,

I'm a newbie and would really like some feedback on the following..

My daughter persuaded me to sit on the top of the bus which shouldn't be a problem but I got really nervous looking out the window, to the point I couldn't look out the window..never had the problem sitting at the bottom but sitting at the top made me so nervous I had to close my eyes and hold on to the seat.

I then had a really hot flush, felt violently sick and then when I got off the bus my hands and legs were shaky, hear beat slightly raised. Sickness passed quickly, 30 mins or so.. but took an hour for the shaking to stop.

I've had this happen on crowded train journeys before.. the hot flush and sickness but thought it was travel sickness..

I'm wondering if this was an anxiety attack.. could the travel sickness and worry about being sick have caused an anxiety attack? Or is it likely to be an anxiety attack as a whole and the travel sickness is a misleader??

Really not sure what to do and any advice would be great.

Stormsky
13-03-12, 19:23
Its hard to say, as if you suffer travel sickness, then possibly just the worry that you may be sick made you nervous... were you worrying while sitting there about travel sickness before these symptons came on??

But you say you felt nervous first sitting at top of bus, and then felt sick as sympton, so id say that was anxiety... brought on maybe by the fear you may be sick as you usually expect travel sickness....
shaking, nerves, feeling hot are all anx symtpons, so i would say it triggered anxiety in you...

Afterall anxiety is the fear of something....so if you fear a travel sickness attack, then that brings on anx.

StormKitten_1
15-03-12, 10:37
Hello,

I'm a newbie and would really like some feedback on the following..

My daughter persuaded me to sit on the top of the bus which shouldn't be a problem but I got really nervous looking out the window, to the point I couldn't look out the window..never had the problem sitting at the bottom but sitting at the top made me so nervous I had to close my eyes and hold on to the seat.

I then had a really hot flush, felt violently sick and then when I got off the bus my hands and legs were shaky, hear beat slightly raised. Sickness passed quickly, 30 mins or so.. but took an hour for the shaking to stop.

I've had this happen on crowded train journeys before.. the hot flush and sickness but thought it was travel sickness..

I'm wondering if this was an anxiety attack.. could the travel sickness and worry about being sick have caused an anxiety attack? Or is it likely to be an anxiety attack as a whole and the travel sickness is a misleader??

Really not sure what to do and any advice would be great.

It does potentially sound like an anxiety attack maybe a 'hidden' fear of heights or just not feeling secure high up on the bus? If you are a nervous traveller in terms of sickness, then you could have worried about becoming ill whilst upstairs on the bus/train and not having anywhere to run to in order to be sick if needed. Sometimes I get like that and it obviously makes the situation worse. Have you ever had this whilst in a car or only on train/bus? Also if you've ever been on a plane?

When i'm on the bus, I cant talk to people and find that listening to VERY loud music through MP3 helps as it 'distracts' the brain from the movement in the ears.

Darrenb74
15-03-12, 11:11
Hello sarest. Doctors say four or more of them symptoms you've explained is a panic attack. I normally rate my anxiety/panic as if it's moderate then i say it's an anxiety attack and if it's more severe then i call it's a panic attack. But yeah i would say that was an anx/panic attack you had.

Darren :)