PDA

View Full Version : Allergic reaction worries

Danii
13-03-12, 23:27
Is anyone else out there living in fear of having a severe allergic reaction?

I've never been allergic to anything all my life. I can't even get a rash from poison ivy (I've picked it up and touched it many times before, im just not a sensitive person to it).

I am constantly afraid the food I eat it going to make my throat swell. 5 hours ago I ate some cake with chocolate frosting and a bowl a cheerios with milk, and my throat has felt like its literally on the verge of just caving in its so tight.

Does anyone else have this? Or have any advice or reassurance as to the fact that anaphylactic reactions aren't too common?

*~Miss.Alice~*
14-03-12, 01:01
I was actually worried about this just a few weeks ago. Like you, I got the feeling of throat tightness whenever I ate something, but I'm still here. :D
Everything that I've read about anaphylaxis says that it is rare, and most people won't ever have it. Things like allergies and asthma increase the risk, but even with those risk factors, the chances of having it are low.
Also, most reactions happen within a few minutes of eating whatever it is you're allergic to. Another thing - almost everyone who has an anaphylactic reaction gets hives all over their bodies.
The way I calmed down when I got throat tightness after eating was by telling myself that I didn't have hives. It worked really well.
I hope reading this helps you get over your fear! :hugs:
If you need any more reassurance, you could go and get tested for food allergies.

Danii
14-03-12, 09:09
Thank you :)

I did get tested for food allergies about 4 years ago. 5 years ago I developed this fear almost over night it seemed, with no reason. It took some time but it passed, now all of a sudden the last few months its been back. Just getting frustrated. Glad I'm not the only one atleast :)