PDA

View Full Version : Common Symptoms & Personality Traits of Anxious People

GT
14-03-12, 06:42
I tick every single box with these symptoms. Thought the list might help people.

Common Symptoms & Personality Traits

When we look at the characteristics common to people suffering from chronic stress and anxiety they tend to have the following personality traits.

• Extremely analytical
• Emotionally sensitive
• Over reacts
• Sensitive to criticism
• Low self-image
• Need to appear in control at all times
• Obsessive thinking
• Inner nervousness
• High expectations
• Easily irritated
• Worrier
• Hypochondriac
• Sensitive to negative stimuli
• Often, never feels “good enough”
• Easily hurt
• Prone to guilt
• Tend to be a pleaser
• Avoids conflict
• Overly concerned about others opinions of you
• The mind races too fast
• A great need for approval
• Excessive Fear of failure
• Excessive Fear of health issues
• Work very hard to appear together
• Second guessing yourself
• Worry about being embarrassed

Patrick Michael
14-03-12, 06:52
Yes - that will be me then. But I'm working on it. Thanks GT

GT
14-03-12, 07:00
Me too. It's hard but working on it

theharvestmouse
14-03-12, 07:52
I tick nearly every box as well although generally I have good self esteem and self image.

morning_blues
14-03-12, 08:51
Hmm, I'd tick over half of those. That's where therapy comes in!
I would also add - "finds it difficult to say no".

crystal17
14-03-12, 10:20
Yep sounds familiar :whistles:

dottielottie
14-03-12, 11:06
Me too,
tick all boxes :wacko:

LittleMissSleepy
14-03-12, 11:14
Yes I can tick a lot of those boxes. How many of us actually like ourselves though ?

I just thought others were born without an embarressment gene due to their thoughtlessness. I actually like some of my traits, eg thoughtful but hate how anxiety makes me feel.

Recsense
14-03-12, 11:50
Lol, all but one box if I'm honest? Need to add that is every box, I mis-read it the first time, lol

hoshi
14-03-12, 12:57
i would tick all those boxes aswell, bar the 'hypochondriac'. i think i used to be like that (constantly worried about having a brain tumor, cancer, autism etc etc) but now i just accept all the weird shit that happens in my body is normal for me. 'emotionally sensitive' doesn't describe me either, i think i'm naturally stoic even deep down on the inside, though it could possibly be interpreted as part of the 'needing to be in control at all times' and 'fear of embarrassment' which has permeated so strongly i even act it in my own inner self.

rock chick
14-03-12, 13:06
Yeah I'd tick a lot of those but not all.
One thing I can easily do is say no, as in I'm generally stubborn and while I worry about how others perceive me I'm not out to please too often. I can be thoughtless but I do like to avoid conflict to a certain degree.

But deep down I find so many things I just don't like about myself and that leads to low self esteem, I tend to dwell on the negatives about myself rather than the positives and I really don't think that's emotionally healthy!

JoJoR
16-03-12, 20:49
I'm exactly like that... 100%.... I'm seeing a councellor and she said I have very high expectations!.... eek.....

neowallace
17-03-12, 09:20
I am with you on all those but some can come and go. In general though yes to all those. I think it is time to zap some of them though. I woke this morning with the typical everything is crap had a half a cup of coffee and went on here so things are looking up.....have a good day everyone...:yesyes:

star2001
18-03-12, 10:17
wow- interseting, i practically tick all those :(

haz
18-03-12, 22:32
I'm exactly like that... 100%.... I'm seeing a councellor and she said I have very high expectations!.... eek.....

It's a common trait for anxiety sufferers to want everything to be "perfect" in their world and to "catastrophize" when things go a bit wrong!

I'm very guilty of this.

Haz. x

Rhys1879SAFC
19-03-12, 18:14
I would agree that I have the majority if not all of the traits mentioned.

Even from a very young age I used to get myself worked up over silly things, quite uncommon for a male I think.

I sometimes feel stupid because I don't think that a young strapping lad like myself should feel the way I do.

On self-image, this is my biggest problem, I can look in the mirror and on photos and always seem to think how utterly atrocious I look.

Planet Caravan
20-03-12, 23:04
Yep,ticking all them boxes here...

rock chick
21-03-12, 01:31
Talking of photos for a while and still at times I wasn't very photogenic. In many school class and portrait pics I would be barely smiling or just trying. It didn't matter if I was already happy, well it did obviously to a point but it was more the acting part. I wasn't great faking a smile that looked good in a photo and many times we're told to smile when we have a photo taken so it's often not a natural 1, even if we're in a good mood. I know certain people would use thoughts to bring them to naturally smile for pics but I didn't get that going until later on.

valley
21-03-12, 02:44
I would agree with that list. I've actually been studying the association between various personality traits and mental disorders.....it makes me wonder if those of us with anxiety suffer partially because of our worldview. For example, if we have high expectations, don't do well with critisicm, etc etc, no wonder we are so anxious....we are setting up nearly impossible expectations for ourselves. Once i realized this connection it renewed my respect for CBT therapy.

rock chick
21-03-12, 03:11
I also feel many anxiety suffers have a somewhat negative mindset (hiya everyone), we tend to dwell on the negatives and downplay the positives. Now that's basically also the same aspect for those with depression (is it any surprise many people with anxiety disorders also have depression?) but many of us are almost hypervigilant about changes, whether they be physical, atmospheric, visual, mental, etc. and with that negativity going on we often perceive that it means something is possibly wrong. Throw in a heightened sense of anxiety in general than non anxiety disorder suffers and you end up with being afraid or worrying about what many non suffers would possibly dismiss or not react as panicky about.

Blade
21-03-12, 09:45
pretty much describes me :( apart from Hypochondriac but i,m working on that one !

SummerBaby
21-03-12, 11:52
*puts hand up* yep, sums me up too! I can also tick most :weep:

Crunchiehair
23-03-12, 16:00
It pretty much describes me too! I'm 54 and have been a 'worry pudding' for all my life. (That's how my dad described me before I was 10).

I can be ok or ages and ages then back to worrying about everything, very much a catasrophiser. I am exhausted from obsessing about being sick (emetophobia). I see myself as a hopeless case really - I've seen a psychologist, psychiatrist, counsellors, CPN, had hypnotherapy, relaxation blah blah. I'm so disappointed that I can still tick those boxes!!

stomper1999
23-03-12, 16:18
I too can tick off most of those boxes.

I am a working professional in Canada, am known for doing a good job doing my best to help others. Yet, I suffer from anxiety (on Cipralex for 2 yrs) and still feel inadequate, guilty and stressed, and apprehensive much of the time.

I read some material recently that indicated that the folks that are most prone to anxiety are usually intelligent, capable, caring, and sensitive to the needs of others, often putting others before themselves, which often leads to burnout, stress and anxiety.

When one realizes this, you realize is that you have many good things to offer others and need to find that balance.

Everyone should give themselves a pat for all the good things they try to accomplish, and keep seeking that balance between looking after yourself and helping others.

Hang in folks, the balance is out there . . .and we are not alone.

Ric (Stomper 1999)

Kellybobz
23-03-12, 17:06
WOW that is me, if my partner could see this he would say its me too. I mite show him just to prove im not the only one!!!:D