PDA

View Full Version : What to expect?

soulcrosses
15-03-12, 09:21
After suffering the duration of two years in attempt to "self heal" myself. I finally approached a doctor to discuss my issues. This was prompted by the only person in my personal life to be aware of my anxiety and consequential depression. I was incredibly skeptical at first, regarding medication as I'd never taken a tablet (ever) before. Anyway, after a couple of hours in the Doctor, I was diagnosed and prescribed 20mg of Citalopram. In the first few days I was seriously ill. Like, mentally and physically. My anxiety was heightened to the extent in which I couldn't get out of bed through fear of a daily routine. But I also suffered migraines, sickness and extreme dowsiness among other things. Anyway, when I reached the two week mark, the side-effects had completely disappeared (so to those of you that are fearful, they do leave, I promise) and moments of genuine happiness and content made their way into my life. It's not consistent, I still get down, alot. But every so often, I just get an overwhelming sense of relief, and it's wonderful and inspiring. Anyway, it's my second Doctors appointment today since being put on the medication, and I'm just wondering what I need to expect? I've only been on them for a month, but things are looking up. They're not fine, just yet, but it's the most progression I've felt in years.. I guess I'm afraid that they'll take me off of them already. You could even say I was anxious ;) haha. But yeah, what do second/other appointments consist of? Thanks in advance!

Ingenious
15-03-12, 09:36
They won't take you off them, I can assure you of that. These are long term medications and the usual benchmark seems to be to only consider reduction of dose after many months (6+) of consistent good health. However, many people stay on them for many years.

All that will happen is your GP will talk to you and then it will normally be a case of carrying on as you are :)

soulcrosses
15-03-12, 10:03
Thank you Ingenious, that's a relief! I don't want to become addicted to them, or overly reliant.. But I'd rather take a tablet every day for the rest of my life and be able to live a more normal life :)

Ingenious
15-03-12, 13:13
They're not addictive and there will come a time in the future when you feel that you don't need them. But that's a long way off. To give you an example I started on medication (Citalopram initially, like you) back in 2009 and am still on a daily dose of an antidepressant. I have been almost 100% since late last year but have remained on the tablets anyway and will continue to do so until I'm sure things are back to normal and more importantly, will remain normal without them.

You'll also find that 6 - 12 months down the line the side effects will have continued to reduce as you settle on the tablets so it is less of an issue taking them on a continuous basis.

My only advice based on my own experience is this: When you do start to feel better and perk up, and get motivated again, do look at everything else you can do to self help. Anything that boosts your recovery alongside the tablets can help prevent dips and even mitigate the need to increase dose. Things like exercise, new hobbies, better diet, CBT, self help, meditation, yoga, etc :)